Colocation Cost - Is this to much?

I got a price today for a colocation facility. Here are the prices. Are they to much?

OC-192 connections
    3U for $95
    min. of 40GB a month @ 2.50/GB
    no charge for IP addresses
    open rack
    24/7 access
    battery backup
    the whole nine yards.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Chris
    Jamie
    RadicalV.com High Velocity Hosting Services - Since 1999
    Hsphere Linux & Windows Hosting ~ Automated Reseller Plans ~ EasyApp Collection

Who are there providers?

2.50 a gig is quite expensive.. esp if you plan on doing webhosting on it .
    Joseph Marcelletti
    Sprynex

We are hosting at a Worldcom Facility in Toronto. We are paying $1000 a month for our space, and paying lower than $2.50 per gig. I can't explain more than that

That seems a little pricey.

I pay $2250 per month for 1 full rack and 5 mbits on 95%, backbones are uunet/qwest/sprint and bgp4 routing, natual gas generators, lockable rack, 24/7 noc and access. Basically about $600 for the rack and around $325 per mbit I think is how it broke down.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

We have free rent space Our uptime is 100% tier 1 backbone connectivity !

IMHO, it's best to get mbps instead of actual GB/mo. Most providers sell a mbps for $300-$500/mo depending on where you go. If you do the math with $2.50/GB, that comes out to $750 for basically the same bandwidth. That's a lot of wasted money

Are you restricted to a particular area for some reason Radv?

Now you've done it. All these 'experts' are going to jump in and tell you why 95% billing is a rip off. What they don't understand is someone has to absorb the risk. Nothing in life is free. Either you pay for exactly what you use with 95%, or you pay by the GB and let the provider absorb the risk. Sure, per GB is easier to understand because it works like a water meter, but it's also more expensive because the provider has to cover his risk.

Let's make it even simpler: if you're paying by the GB, you're at least a third tier poser. Real hosts pay on 95%. Real providers pay on 95%. Go call up any carrier of your choice and ask for a per GB rate - bet you won't get far.

Not starting a flame, so don't take it that way. Just making a point.

Brandon

I checked, and we aren't paying by gb, we are paying by MBPS.

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    That seems a little pricey.

I pay $2250 per month for 1 full rack and 5 mbits on 95%, backbones are uunet/qwest/sprint and bgp4 routing, natual gas generators, lockable rack, 24/7 noc and access. Basically about $600 for the rack and around $325 per mbit I think is how it broke down.

Do you pay $600 per rack, per month?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Yeah wish I could find it a bit cheaper but there's not a lot of options locally so rather than have my machines someplace I can't touch them I'll pay a little extra for the privilege. $325 per mbit hurts a bit, but then I remind myself this is uunet/qwest/sprint (and I think they just added AT&T or will soon) and not cogent (though the servers I have on cogent have had awesome network uptime the last few months, I really can't complain about the cogent service much either!
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck