Domain registration with hosting

I've been thinking about offering domain registration with my hosting packages and would like to hear from others about their experiences. What are the pros and cons? The thing that bothers me is if I register a domain for a client and put it in their name and then they cancel the account or issue a chargeback. The client would gain a free domain.

Yes that's a risk. But can't you fight the charge back? since you are providing the service. Just make sure the guy gives you a valid credit card in the first place before you order the domain for them.

We had a few cases of guys registering for webhosting + domain without giving the proper credit card. If we had gone through the registration without checking the card first, we'd be the losers.
    Walter Landman
    Simplicato - Email Hosting

on the other hand, the domain would be in your control, would it not be? ;-)

Not usually. If your an OpenSRS reseller, the person who makes the order (end user) owns the domain.

I dont know about the other registrars.
    Walter Landman

Greetings:

If your contract clearly states domain name registrations are only refundable if the domain name is not available, then you lost nothing.

Any charge backs that do not involve the fradulent use of the card should be easy to win given the contract and order information.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

I think American Express are the worst out of these companies. I remember the billing person complain that they issued a charge back to a customer who we had already sent a refund check. They did not even confirm with us or ask us anything about it.
    Walter Landman

well you can make the client pay for the cost of the domain in there hosting price... that way after there first payment if you have any problems you arent at a loss.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Actually you might still be at a loss since you have to pay the transaction fee, and % of payment. So unless your making a high margin for the domain registration, then your in trouble.

If you offered the domain FREE with a webhosting order, then well I guess your screwed.
    Walter Landman

There are definite issues to consider.
    We joined bulkregister.com long ago and still use them for domain registration. Nowdays you do have more choices BUT the way I see it from the host point of view, is you have abit more protection with bulkregister. IF we reg. a domain and then suffer a chargeback, we DO still have control of the domain so it would be possible to resell it, use it, etc.
    With domain registration you pay as you go and there are NO refunds issued for cancelling, etc.
    On the other hand, I believe most other registrars simply issue a user/pass onto the client, so if this is the case, you have no control over that domain, so you are just out that much more.
    We offer it as a convenience for clients, and nothing more...I urge most people if they inquire about it....to register their domain at 000domains.com or godaddy, for the lesser price.
    I think if you are hosting it is an advantage to offer domain reg.
    they do go hand in hand and clients like the idea of only one charge to get up and running (domain reg. is charged at signup and we only do one year reg)
    Even though we would never think of keeping someones domain there are those hosts that will do such things.
    We register the domain in the clients name, and only list ourselves as tech. If they want to transfer registrars, they are free to initiate a domain transfer request, OR if it needs to be updated with new host DNS info then we make their change for them.
    Its worked out well for us, and bulkregister has been great.
    Good Luck
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Well I was planning on adding 7-8 dollars or whatever the cost is on the 1st month of hosting to pay for the domain. I do not wish to make money on registering domains but rather provide an extra service. But at the same time dont wanna get burned.

Just tell your hosting customers that domain registration has an admin fee of $8 or something... thats a nice price and they can get the lot through you
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

I have just recently started to offer my customers Domain Registration via Enom's PDQ system, works well but itís not something I really want to or can make a profit from (not yet anyway). I just offer it as an additional service not many people use it most transfer their domain to the hosting account

Originally posted by wlandman
    I think American Express are the worst out of these companies. I remember the billing person complain that they issued a charge back to a customer who we had already sent a refund check. They did not even confirm with us or ask us anything about it.
    Everyone who accepts credit cards should know that you never ever issue a refund check on a credit card payment. The chargeback can come as late as two years after the charge!

You got scammed by the customer. Amex doesn't know or care about your refund check.

Kevin

You could always use a registrar that lets you easily update the registrant and other info using just a userid and password. You could register the domain under the customer's name, but use your company's email address for all of the contact emails.

You don't give the customer the userid and password for the domain account until after they have fulfilled whatever agreed hosting time was in your offer. For example, free domain with 3 months hosting. After 3 months of hosting, you change the contact emails to the customer's and send them the userid and password.
    Peachtree WebWorks, LLC
    http://www.peachtreewebworks.com

If you use enom as your domain provider, you have full control over domains you register (for your own use or for your customer).
    Founder of TradeHolding.com B2B Network and OneLoveNet.com Singles & Dating
    >> Business Blog
    >> Business Links Directory