Problems with fresh mySQL/PHP install

Hi I just also installed mySQL. However, I did this install a user and set the config file to have everything install in my own directory (along with apache and php).

Now Apache is running fine in my own directory, so is PHP (minus the command line part).

However, for some reason I'm having a little trouble with mySQL. I can start the server and make databases and edit ones, however if I try to shutdown the server I get Access Denied, although I can start it. And I can't change a password for a user either (although I should be able to if I installed this, right?)

I am wondering after I freshly compiled mySQL, installed it, and then ran mysql_install_db, is there something else I need to setup for like a user account?

I didn't install this as root, however I am sure there is a way to set this all up without root, since I seemed to do this with Apache and PHP fine.

Thanks

how are you connection to mysql (string)?
    How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

Can you please rephrase that?

what is your connection string?

mysql -u root -p is this how you connect?
    How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

Oh no, I was just typing: mysql

Also, I don't have root access, so everything is installed in my user account (where Apache, PHP, and mySQL) are. Apache and PHP seem to work fine.

mySQL seems to run, but I don't have permissions to use everything, although I don't see why I wouldn't if I installed this a user in directories which I have control over.

rtfm

I take it you ignored the big reminder at the end of mysq_install_db.

"PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !"
    "This is done with:"
    "mysqladmin -u root -p password 'new-password'"
    "mysqladmin -u root -h $hostname -p password 'new-password'"
    "See the manual for more instructions."

nodeiskrad

I tried running those commands, but I got Access Denied. Even after I just installed it too.

rtfm

Are you sure that you're connecting to your mysql server? Did you start it with safe_mysqld? What port are you using? The default is port 953. If you arn't root, then you would not be able to bind to port 953. Maybe someone else has a mysql server on port 953? Again, RTFM.

nodeiskrad