Question What money you can make?

I wonder what money you can make as a reseller? OK, you have a very good looking web-site, give good support etc. Good reseller in general. On average, how much people make?

I am thinking about this now. But if I make something - I make it good So I don't want to spend my time for nothing.

That all depends on your business plan.

That's like saying,

"I have a good car and give good ___insert_here___, how much chicks do you reckon I can pick up?"

We can't really give you a number to even play with.
    Vinh,
    ShockHost - host me up scotty
    http://www.ShockHost.com
    (Coming soon to a world near you next month)

I asked what people get on average
    Do they have at least 500 bucks each month?
    Information is still not knowledge, knowledge is still not wisdom, wisdom is still not love, love is still not music. Music is everything.

$293.13

$200/mo if you are lucky
    I have servers at: NetDepot/GNAX (A), SoftLayer (A), LiquidWeb (B+), DedicatedNow (B+), Nectartech (B) and more!

$200/mo if you are lucky
    ...and if you are unlucky

-$50.21

Peter

Hm... 200? What for? I mean what do you need 200 for? How can you live for that?
    Information is still not knowledge, knowledge is still not wisdom, wisdom is still not love, love is still not music. Music is everything.

I think this questions is impossible to answer.. Im as long as I am in the green at all..

i dont make any money
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Re: What money you can make?

Originally posted by Doomster
    I wonder what money you can make as a reseller? OK, you have a very good looking web-site, give good support etc. Good reseller in general. On average, how much people make?

I am thinking about this now. But if I make something - I make it good So I don't want to spend my time for nothing.
    Doomster,

OK, here's a semi-sensible answer for you... I kind of fell into the reseller-hosting business as a result of having a dedicated server to host all of my sites (I have a lot of data - mainly images, and it was cheaper to store it this way than pay per gigabyte on a shared server!)

Anyway, I got talking to a web designer who mentioned she had a client who hated her host, and I got to thinking that I had this big-ass server sitting there, not doing even 2% avg. utilization... Perhaps I could set them up on that server - give them their own cpanel, ftp access, etc, and bill them a setup fee and monthly fee...

A year later, and I have a lot of clients, all referred from that original designer (who is also now a client!). Everything to date has been word of mouth. It got to a point that I moved my own stuff off of the original server and into shared hosting accomodations (I got a good deal - too long a story for here!), and wound up with a dedicated just for hosting...

I found a niche - generally local companies that don't have in-house I.T. personel, or if they do have I.T. staff then the I.T. staff don't want to be bothered with the security issues of hosting their own site. I charge a hefty setup fee (10 clients pay for the server!) and an above-average monthly fee (no less than $50 per client per month). They are happy to pay it I offer such excellent support, and as I am local I can go meet with the client at the drop of a hat. As a result, I've also upsold T1's, DSL, Exchange Server ASP solutions, and even rolled-out one or two networks... We also have upsold search engine optimization, pay-per-click account management, and other internet marketing solutions - about 50% of our income is NOT from hosting per se!

But from the hosting alone, with just over 230 accounts right now (you do the math!), that alone pays for us to live quite nicely...

We started development of a new website last month, and it should be complete in another 2 months (there is a lot of back-end magic being programmed in)... Once we go live, we anticipate at least 25 new customers per month... Again - you do the math...

I honestly feel that the secret to my success in reseller-hosting has been the fact that I've been so readily accessible and approachable for my clients (I am sure my English accent helps too - the Americans love it!), and the value-added services I offer (all of which, incidentally, are resold services too - hence no additional overheads or headaches for me!)

I hope that answers your question - if you have a decent plan and run the numbers right in your forecasts, you can make any amount of money... But if you fail to plan, you're planning to fail...

Cheers!

Resellers are usually web designers that want to make a little bit more cash off customers with hosting also. It all depends on how you acquire your clients and when. As a reseller, you have a fixed cost which you have to raise the cost on. So the possibilities of making cash are high, as in any business... but you have to keep at it.
    Kaumil P.

$OGC=$out to get clients
    $OKC= $out to keep clients
    $Pr=profit
    $Gr=gross
    #cc=number of current clients
    #nc=number of new clients
    $GFC= cost of getting future clients
    subscript (e) = effectiveness
    subscript (p) = previous

$Gr=($OGC X $OGC(e) X $GFC(p)(e))/($GFC(p) X $GFC(p)
    - ($OKC X $OKC(e))/#CC
    -fixed$
    -$GFC
    -unforseen$

$Pr=$Gr-(taxes X tax(e))/$Gr

The amount you make is determined by how much you put in, and how effective those dollars are now and in the future. Please don't take this formula as a real formula, it is only to show that "it depends"

With proper planning and investment (and sound advice), you could possibly retire in a few years. Without it, you might make $500/mo and work your butt off or go out of business in a few months. If you're considering a hosting business, you should take some marketing and business classes in addition to the software learning you'll need, and then take a while to plan out your course of action. You won't regret it. That's where part of the (e) comes in.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Lets put it this way, you want become rich over night My 2nd month into this business has left a big hole in my pocket. So far, I have only lost about $150. Luckily, I have plenty of cash flow from other things to keep the business going. I guess I need to start working on the local advertising. Good luck!

-Dan
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Luckily, I have plenty of cash flow from other things to keep the business going
    GR8......Ill know where to come next time I need a loan!!

Smile

Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Resellers make more than $500/mo don't they?

Originally posted by Advanta Host
    Resellers make more than $500/mo don't they?
    Where did you get that number from?

Originally posted by OKIHost

Where did you get that number from?
    That's for me to know and you to find out

Let's say that after 7-9 months, with proper planning and getting in business at the right time, 3-4 grand/mo on a dedicated server is doable.

Best regards,
    Boris

Maybe with 700 sites on a server

Originally posted by OKIHost
    Maybe with 700 sites on a server
    More like 100

Just a comment...

the Treasury department might not like all of you people making money.

James