stopping hacked software sales

Probably not the right forum, but anyways......

We sell embroidery software on one of our sites and someone from China has hacked the demo and created a pirate password file. They are selling this hacked password file online from their site in China.

Am I basically just up the river here or is there some worldwide process that exists to shut down hacker sites?

I wish there was a DDoS service for the "good guys" to give hacker sites headaches.
    http://www.schooldebts.com -- Consolidate Student Loan Debt

Why don't you just reset the password then to something other than the password that they have. Either that or find out where the hacker created the pirated password file and delete it.

-Steven
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Cogent in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

It is desktop software, not online. The software has a 30-day fully functional demo. After that, if you do not install the password file, the software no longer works. The only real way of stopping these people now is if people try to purchase upgrades or plugins, we will not have their purchase recorded so we will not sell them the upgrade or plugin.

Re: stopping hacked software sales

Originally posted by bjseiler
    Probably not the right forum, but anyways......

We sell embroidery software on one of our sites and someone from China has hacked the demo and created a pirate password file. They are selling this hacked password file online from their site in China.

Am I basically just up the river here or is there some worldwide process that exists to shut down hacker sites?

I wish there was a DDoS service for the "good guys" to give hacker sites headaches.
    A "worldwide process to shut down hacker sites"?

Hah! How exactly would this technological wizardry be done ?

Sorry, my friend, you are SOL.

(I DO know that some people code it so when there is a net connection their software connects to the net and to your server to verify licenses once a month--something to consider for the future versions.)

Yeah, I pretty much knew that. Maybe with the Recording Industry now putting out bogus mp3's in the P2P networks, somebody will come up with a good solution. Like........prove that somebody is ripping you off and then the hackers get hit with annoying virus files every day, DDoS attacks, and countless cmd.exe calls :-)

I am afraid anything software can be hacked fairly easily and there is no mechanism to stop them from running a hacker website, especially in china! Sorry.

Hosty

Why don't you create a certain key which will unlock the password when the software is purchased and you have verification of the purchase. That way it will make that users password invalid.

-Steven
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Cogent in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Originally posted by insiderhosting
    Why don't you create a certain key which will unlock the password when the software is purchased and you have verification of the purchase. That way it will make that users password invalid.

-Steven
    Well this will still won't stop a hacker from buying a good copy and then hacking and making available the hacked version with a patch! If they want to remove the protection then they will. Software on its own is as protected as rabbit in a lion den! (well, a tied down rabbit in a lion den with 100 hungry lions who like rabbit meat )

hosty

I would say the only option is to lock it down further which requires more key management from your organization. And an upgrade to all current users. You could improve your software and charge for the upgrade or offer a maintenance upgrade for free, for the cost of shipping and handling, or for a small fee.

You could lock down your keys further based on hostid (unix), network card mac address, or even static IP address or IP block (for dnyamic IPs).

Users would contact you with the above required information which you would use to create and issue keys with. Your softwares key verification process would need to look up the information locally on the machine.

High-end unix software keys are often tied to the hostid and it can be hacked, but a major PITA. Often when server applications are moved it requires new keys. Some may offer "transitional" keys until a perm is given on the perm machine. You would need to also provide key reissuing for any moving of your software.

Or you can do what others do and increase the cost of your software to make up for lost sales from pirating.

Hope this helps,
    Chuck

The fact is: any software protection can be hacked/cracked. Sure, building in a bit of piracy protection may be helpful, but as you build in more, you add in the complexity and potential problems. At some point you will have to just let a portion of the illegal usage get away with it - because it will be too costly to enforce your copyright.

My suggestion is: don't lose sleep over it. Just do your marketing well and deliver a good product, you won't have to worry about not selling enough copies of it.

Peter