Domain Name Con On The Go??

Ok, im not sure about this but it looks strange to me.

Someone phoned my director up this morning and told us that someone had tried to register a couple of our domain names of our company name and told her that because we own the company that we get first hit at registering the domain.

They registered two domains for our company and i think they are phoning people up as a bit of a con trying to get people to register domain names.

What id like to know, is this normal practice and nothing to worry about or should i phone them back up and tell them to cancel the registration?

Any ideas?

I need replies on this VERY quickly since once its registered i dont think there is any going back.

The people doing it are: http://www.anet.co.uk
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

So http://www.anet.co.uk phoned you...

So it has to be...

well, we are a fairly big company, people call me all the time at work, its just business cold calling or as they say, its someone else trying to grab our domain names, and giving us a chance to grab them first.

any other thoughts?

Well, they could be telling the truth, but I have never heard of any companys calling up another company telling them that someone tried to register there domain. Register the domain at another company

where is che cheapest place to register co.uk and .net domain names?

Its official anet www.anet.co.uk anet.co.uk

(just thought id put that for the search terms

Its a huge con, if you want to register your domain names then try something like oneandone.co.uk at least they do them nice and cheap and have some honest people working for them.

Dee (From Anet), if you are reading this, since you admitted you had heared of webhostingtalk, you might think twice before you try and con me

One of the things these sorts of companies like anet may do is say that someone is after the domain, offer it to you. ANd you think.. No, we don't want that at the moment.

So they may go off and register it to themselves, and then when it comes round to you needing it, they just happen to be able to sell it to you for and extra 100 on top of standard registration price

Be warned, always check out these people, and if you do go with them, make sure the domain is registered to YOU, not hte company.

it just makes me so angry that anyone would even try to con someone like that. theyre just pure pond scum.

Doing something like that to a mod of the worlds largest web hosting forum (even if she didnt realise until i told her) is pretty stupid for a companies reputation.

We get asked the question on a fairly regular basis, "Has anyone tried to register our company name? The domain name would be 'pickacompanyname.com'?"

I always chuckle and tell them that the name is currently available and if they would like to register it, here is the link to our registration pages.

Some people believe that there is some sort of flag that gets waved when company legal names are "attempted" to be registered - whatever that really means.

We go on to explain that there is no way to tell that someone attempted to register their company name, and that if someone HAD wanted to register their company name, they would own it already, since there is nothing stopping anyone from registering any legal domain name.

It's most likely a sales call tactic - nothing more, nothing less. You can choose to do business with the company who cold calls you and misrepresents their business, or not. It's your choice.

I can tell that that if we watched all the whois queries or domain registration attempts on our servers and then contacted the companies who might be interested - anywhere in the world by the way - we would have dozens of employees doing nothing else all day and all night and we would never catch up to the volume of possibilities.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net