Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile ok... from the beginig: how i start my WH biz?

Hi, i new to this... but is very interesting this business... i'm new i dont really know too much but i have some knowledge.

I need help on the folling (only the best one):

1-. Name the best reseller package. or semi-dedicated

2-. The best payment gateway.

3. The best domain reseller

4-. How to register your business and every procedure you have to do in the US (more specific CA). Ficticious name, taxes, license, etc...

5-. help to star a business.

ps. please dont critize, figth, etc...

Thanks for your help.

Are you serious?

yes, im serious.

Do you think running a hosting company is like selling lemonade?
    How come you can't research about this business and come to your own conclusions?

Um... Okay, first off a couple questions for you:

I'm sure someone would be happy to help you on the folling... Could you please explain what a folling is? Do you also need help getting off of it?

I'm not really sure how to star a business, or even what that really means. My 5 year old brings home gold stars from kindergarden every week. Maybe I could send you one of those?

I'm sure I won't critize, figth or do anything of the sort since they sound very painful. Wait a minute... is this some sort of sex lingo? Are you propositioning me?

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

juanmanuel, it may be a good start to spend a few hours looking through the old posts here on WHT. This will give you a lot more ideas and then you can ask some more specific questions on experiences with different companies etc...

Re: ok... from the beginig: how i start my WH biz?

1-. Name the best reseller package. or semi-dedicated -- Read./Brwose thru the Advertising forums and Reseller forums to read User Experiences

Thats a never ending research if you don't have a Top Budget
    - I personally had a prob with Enom
    http://www.featuredhost.com | mailto: [email protected] | ASP.NET-MS SQL-Cold Fusion hosting| Cheap domain registration | MSN : [email protected] |

Might want to work on working with a partner with better English writing skills. If you are the technical one, they can be the sales side.

Wait, you said you aren't too technical? Might want to read these posts good and hard. It's not impossible for a non-tech person to get in, but it will be a lot of work.

Good luck though-
    -WC-

ok... you dont have to help me if some of your dont want. but please leave the comments for those who are willung to help. please.

well, english is my second language. i'm plannig to do this biz in spanish. but thank u for your comment.

thanks to SuperDon & flashgear for your help.

Re: ok... from the beginig: how i start my WH biz?

There IS no one "best". If there were a since "best" then everyone would go with that one company for re-selling.

It depends on how fast a connection you need, how stable you need it, which OS Platform for the hosted server you want/need to support, how much money you have. We can't point you to a best, because it will have to be an individual choice you make, depending on many factors.

That depends on how much volume you need, what you will be hosting (adult VS non-adult), what type of fees you wish to pay every month, etc.

See above.

4-. How to register your business and every procedure you have to do in the US (more specific CA). Ficticious name, taxes, license, etc...
    Sorry...call the local Small Business Administration, (www.sba.gov) and your local Chamber of Commerce in the city/town you want to have offices in. They are a far better source of info than we would be.

Do you really want to risk your business, your personal finances, and possibly your freedom by taking advice off people you dont know on a webforum on legal matters ?

Do you want to risk going in front of a judge and saying "I am sorry, Your Honor..I was told by some person named 'Greatbeast' on the internet what I had to do to start my business and I followed his advice" ?

Well there are plenty of books on opening small businesses. I'd suggest you start reading some of them. As well as any technical resources you will need, because as a reseller you will be expected to be able to answer questions and provide solutions when things dont work to your customers.

Check the message boards here, check into costs of opening, reoccurring expenses, how much you can charge, how you will target your audience (clients)....

Its a lot of work, and you will have to do it, because we dont know your situation.

Well, you took the best step by registering to this forum. But I would advise, like others before me, that you spend some time using the search button here and just browsing and reading.
    Your questions are too broad and ranging to be answered. You need to narrow them down somewhat. After some study; you'lll be able to.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

sorry for asking... never mind...

There are probably lots of good choices out there. I personally would recommend MCHost.com or HTTPme.com - check out their user forums.

2. The best payment gateway.

To start with - revecom.com or 2checkout.com - I have used 2checkout for about 10 months now. Nothing to complain about.

enom.com or dotster.com - I use dotster though their prices are a bit high - because they have an excellent system to integrate into your web site.

4. How to register your business and every procedure you have to do in the US (more specific CA). Ficticious name, taxes, license, etc...

Don't know, I'm in Denmark

As suggested, search this forum and learn about the business. You would also learn a lot about hosting having a (friendly) company like MCHost.com and HTTPme.com and their (friendly) community in your back to support you and help solve the problems you are not able handle yourself.

Good luck!

Thanks
    John
    Last edited by nogi; 09-26-2002 at 08:11 PM.

Do you think running a hosting company is like selling lemonade?

- forget it

John

Thanks nogi!

2 x Double forget running a business.
    Western Man

Why would you tell him to not run a business ?

If he is lucky, works hard, and knows his stuff, he might make it. If not, he won't.

Everyone deserves a shot...its better to try and fail than to never try and regret it forever.

Thanks nogi

Hmmm. Then you all wonder where all the $1 / year for 300gigs (bandwidth) hosts come out from.

i'm not stupid like when you started...

Originally posted by Shyne
    Hmmm. Then you all wonder where all the $1 / year for 300gigs (bandwidth) hosts come out from.
    Well if someone prices themselves out of business, then they will be out of business. and their customers will learn to go with a higher priced host for more reliability.

I personnaly wouldn't like to be starting out fresh today. Its certainly a different market to when we started 3 years ago, the days of sticking up your website and getting into directories and wait just won't work today.

However out of the resellers we have the successful ones seem to target their local market and do very well. One has over 70 sites and doesn't even take credit cards online, she just goes to her local businesses and sells them face to face and she's doing really well.

But the market is much more difficult to enter today

Ok... What just happened here?

The beginning is HERE .

The attitude of some people in here drives me fu**in crazy!! He started out his post by saying he was new to web hosting as we all were once.

Do you think running a hosting company is like selling lemonade? How come you can't research about this business and come to your own conclusions?
    eh....by posting here and taking the advice from the people mature enough to give it to him is research. Who mentioned lemonade??

Um... Okay, first off a couple questions for you:

I'm sure someone would be happy to help you on the folling... Could you please explain what a folling is? Do you also need help getting off of it?

I'm not really sure how to star a business, or even what that really means. My 5 year old brings home gold stars from kindergarden every week. Maybe I could send you one of those?

I'm sure I won't critize, figth or do anything of the sort since they sound very painful. Wait a minute... is this some sort of sex lingo? Are you propositioning me?
    Maing fun of his english is pretty low....English is not his mother langauge...How many langauges do you speak?
    By the way WII-Aaron, check your own spelling before you criticise others!!

I think you two just hate the thought of more competition!!

Originally posted by Eurofficial
    The attitude of some people in here drives me fu**in crazy!! He started out his post by saying he was new to web hosting as we all were once.
    No one will help him because he did not even bother to do some basic research on the topic. If one were serious about it, they would have quietly lurked around and learn before even asking to be fed.

If he doesn't even want to do some basic research, why should anyone help him?

And also, I don't see you offering any help to him.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Hi net-trend,

If someone was to point that out to him in the same and decent way you have pointed it out to me then that would be fine, but giving him a hard time and using his use of the english langauge as cannon fodder is just sad.

You need to search alot, and read a lot of different posts here in the forum as well. You will at least get a pretty good idea on how NOT to behave, because a lot of people here will tell their bad experiences, and the threads have given me some ideas on how to do business.

When it comes to legal matters... go to your local library and ask a librarian about some good books, maybe even in Spanish (that seems to be a pretty big language in the US). Maybe the librarian can point you in the right direction on how to start a business.

When you have done that, think through what you need, and then ask specific questions, one at a time, in the right forum around here. (there is one about requests, another with ads and so on).

Then you need some funds, and that might be the hardest part of starting a business, unless you get some grant.

Hope this helps you, and anyone else....
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Originally posted by Eurofficial
    Hi net-trend,

If someone was to point that out to him in the same and decent way you have pointed it out to me then that would be fine, but giving him a hard time and using his use of the english langauge as cannon fodder is just sad.
    I agree, but i guess a lot of people here are less tolerant to newbies. As i'm sure quite a number of people are. Things can get frustrating sometimes you know.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

This thread has nothing to do with the attitude of the fellow members. It's all about the original 'mighty' lazy poster.

Do you really expect other members to waist endless hours to do the research for someone who has no clue on how to run or setup a business? He won't get any real response from a well established host in the first place. Why? Because they don't have the time for tutoring. I wouldn't suggest to even take advice from novice hosts - most of them don't know what they are doing. <<Loading a server with .99$ accounts is NOT how you make money.>>

Everytime I get a chance to surf around WHT, all I see is: "tell me how to run a host", "how much money will I make and when will I get clients?", "I got a domain, how do I get a server to start hosting", "I started a host, tell me how to setup dns on my server"... I think you get the point.

If you are not willing to dedicate your OWN time to do a proper research and lay out a business plan, then obviously this business is NOT for you.

juanmanuel you are probably frustrated a bit with the responses here - don't be too discouraged - take it as insight into the challenge that lays ahead of you.

There are really no absolute answers to your questions & they are also very broad questions - but the great thing about the web is that there is a huge amount of info available to allow you to do your research. WHT is one good place to start.

Start quietly & methodically doing your research and making your plans to reach a point where you can decide if you want to continue or not. Only then is the time to think about questions related to implementation.

I think you will find WHT much more helpful and receptive by asking specific & focused questions. Most of the members here are your future competition - but even so - many will be willing to help you.

Everybody starts somewhere - but the one point to hold onto is that web hosting is not a get rich quick scheme.

Good luck
    Andrew McMaster
    http://www.FindMyHosting.com
    Compare Prices, Consumer Reviews, Help, Guides and More.

Thank u for everyone for your help, advice and good critics. Before I post this question I did a lot of research. I have an idea were to start: atwebhost, paypal, and I'm in a business major.

But I like second opinions. I like opinion from experimented people. I'm a newbie. I cant do this alone. I need some guide. Thanks to those who had give advice.

Originally posted by juanmanuel
    Thank u for everyone for your help, advice and good critics. Before I post this question I did a lot of research. I have an idea were to start: atwebhost, paypal, and I'm in a business major.

But I like second opinions. I like opinion from experimented people. I'm a newbie. I cant do this alone. I need some guide. Thanks to those who had give advice.
    I would avoid Paypal, they have had many known issues.

check "www.paypalsucks" for some issues people have had.

so what do you reomend me? 2checkout?

A lot of jealous people here on these boards. I don't know why, but is that the trend now a days? If you aren't going to help the man, why reply?
    Kaumil P.

Originally posted by hostingplex
    A lot of jealous people here on these boards. I don't know why, but is that the trend now a days? If you aren't going to help the man, why reply?
    because everyone is bitter and angry on WHT
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

I'd plan on spending a few months just getting the feel of how the process works. If you can make websites, you may want to work out a deal with someone who can't, and charge them a fair amount for letting you work with them to defray some of the costs.

You should probably start out with a small reseller account to get the process down of what to expect. Try to find someone who has good service. If you are going to have a go at a business at this, you might want to invest some money in some training (business, marketing, control panels, etc).

While you are learning with this, start thinking of what you would need for a business plan. If you can take the time to research and do a proper business plan, then you've come a long way to cover some of the bases you'll need before actually having clients depend on you.

You have to keep in mind that a lot of people who are hosted, are depending on their site for their business. They can't afford to save a few bucks and go with someone who hasn't thought things through (even if they think they can).

I started out with Alan at splashhost.com. you might want to go there and get in touch with him. He is great to work with. If your starting clients are fully aware that you are in the process of working out the details, and in exchange they are getting a good deal, they won't mind hosting with you. Just make sure you have someone to go to when they have a question or a problem you can't solve.

All my current clients are fully aware I am in the middle of my business plan, and I've made some strategic alliances with a couple of entrepreneurs to help cover my costs. Money and time invested now will pay off in the long run.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Yeah I think the #1 thing to look for is a host that is going to be around when there are problems you cant handle.. There is nothing worse than having angry customers emailing and calling you one after another and there being no one to get in touch with... I think AIM and 24/7 email support is a good starts and an EMERGENCY only 24/7 phone is another thing to look for.. The ideal setup would be someone with 24/7 phone support..

i dont know how old you are... but i recommend reading this it has a lot of good advice/points of views that you may want to consider

I've only taken 2 and a half semesters of spanish so here goes:
    *breaks out spanish dictionary*

Para comenzar un negocio en "webhosting", tiene que ser un trabajador diligente. Hay muchas cosas necesita de pensar. Usted necesita a alguien administar el "server". Necesita a alguien responder a las "emails" y boletos de la ayuda. Tambien, necesita a alguien manejar contabilidad. Hay muchas otras personas, o cosas que necesita de pensar.

Basically, there is a lot to take care of:
    administration of servers, support, sales, web site, billing, promotion, legalities. Unless you are really sure and dedicated, don't jump into it too quickly...

p.s. How's my spanish?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast