* Interesting WHT statistics!

Hello Everyone

Well, first I would like to set the ground work for everyone. I been coming to the board for about a week now steady and reading what all is going on. This board is a great idea and the creator should get a pat on the back!!!

I am a private computer consultant in Las Vegas, I just bought my own dedicated server and started a hosting company. This comes after I programmed a market stat program to power through hosting companies and their packages offered and get a detailed report. Now I have reports for small, medium and large hosting companies along with reports for the backbone webhosting providers. At moment I have only my personal clients as hosting customer with different servers provided by different providers. I am testing support staff at these companies also. But on to the subject here.

I have looked over alot of companies here at WHT and decided to put my program to work with their packages offered. Here is a little of what came out and might answer alot of questions that new people starting a hosting business are looking for. Companies but into the program are:[list=1][*]Alterahosting[*]AlphaOmegaHosting[*]Argon Hosting[*]CubeXHosting[*]eishost.com[*]HostMatrix[*]HostPacket[*]HTTPme[*]i8k.com[*]iminteractive[*]infobeen.com[*]intense-hosting.com[*]kangaweb.com[*]myacen.com[*]networksdata.com[*]Phatasyworkhosting.com[*]Racknine[*]Sarvi Hosting[*]ServerSonic[*]Sprynex[*]tinybutler[*]Webspacesolutions[*]OKIhost[/list=1]
    Just a short results stat, don't want to do everyones hard work for them . For starter packages or 1st packages offered by company:

Average Size = 151.09MB, Standard deviation = 212.73MB
    Average Price = $7.12, Standard deviation = $4.73
    10 Companies offering 50MB = 43%
    1 Company offering 75MB = 4%
    7 Companies offering 100MB = 30%
    2 Companies offering 200MB = 9%
    1 Company offering 300MB = 4%
    1 Company offering 500MB = 4%
    1 Company offering 1000MB = 4%

8 of the companies are at or over $7.12. Leaving 65% of the rest under average.
    5 of the companies are at or over 150MB. Leaving 78% of the rest under average.

NOW, this is the closes you will see these numbers. After packages 2 and above stats started getting way out of hand. But it does show the companies that don't or didn't do a complete market survey before starting business. In the programs opinion...lol

I hope this isn't to long of a post. Their are plenty more stats for these company comparisons. 25 pages to be exact.. But I will stop for now. This should provide us with discussion material

CyberSorcerer

Almost
    Also, wouldn't you need permission from those webhosts you crawled to use their data in your analysis program? Your almost like a search engine bot, and companies who do not want their site indexed tell the bot.
    Domain Software, LLC.

Anyone else lost?

looks like you been doing a lot of home work

To explain

No it wasn't a bot, the program is an application that does analysis of marketing data. And NO it isn't for sale or will it ever be. It is part of my consulting business and belongs to my company.

I just thought I would share some info. Alot of people starting out ask for this info or if any has it. I just posted a very small part of the results of only 1st packages offered by these companies, and I went their through a web browse and collected the info manually.......

Again I hope this helps at least one person on the boards here with putting their business plan together or at least starting one.

CyberSorcerer

I'd be very interested in seeing the rest of the stats, personally.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

* forgot one stat

Out of those hosts, how many will be around in two years? :-)
    I do want to see the stats though.
    Larry Ludwig
    Empowering Media
    HostCube - Proactively Managed Xen based VPSes
    Empowering Media - The Dev Null Blog

Thumbs up Very good thread!

This is very good information and I would also be interested in seeing the other packages.

It surely has helped me as it assured that our packages aren't over/under priced.
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

Thanks, i did something like that but manually, it took many hours but we did get alot of useful information. I'd be interested in seeing all 25 pages in a PM
    movabletypehost.com / xarayahost.com / tikihost.com : Interested?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=3691760

Ok, packages 2 and 3

Ok, were is the same info for packages 2 and 3 offered. Now for DD-SNC one thing to remember this is a small sampling and only from 23 companies here from WHT. This isn't a full market survey of the industry. Those numbers differ from these because the majority of those companies are in the budget hosting industry.

package 2

average storage = 362.17, Deviation = 412.70
    average price = $12.26, Deviation = $6.50
    1 company offering 80MB = 4%
    4 companies offering 100MB = 17%
    1 company offering 150MB = 4%
    3 companies offering 200MB = 13%
    6 companies offering 250MB = 26%
    2 companies offering 300MB = 9%
    1 company offering 400MB = 4%
    2 companies offering 500MB = 4%
    1 company offering 600MB = 4%
    1 company offering 1000MB = 4%
    1 company offering 2000MB = 4%

Now one of the points to post this is to talk a little about the budget hosting market. For instance:

That stats above provided 11 different storage catagories. 7 (64%) of the companies offer packages in a catagory by themselves. 2 of those companies offer packages below the average, 5 have packages above the average. But 13 (57%) of the companies price levels are below the average price range.

Some food for thought

CyberSorcerer

Sorry forgot package 3

average storage 625.00MB, Deviation = 615.93
    average price = $18.20, Deviation = $8.99
    1 company offering 100MB = 4%
    1 company offering 150MB = 4%
    1 company offering 175MB = 4%
    1 company offering 200MB = 4%
    1 company offering 250MB = 4%
    2 companies offering 300MB = 9%
    4 companies offering 400MB = 17%
    5 companies offering 500MB = 22%
    2 companies offering 750MB = 9%
    2 companies offering 800MB = 9%
    1 company offering 1200MB = 4%
    1 company offering 1500MB = 4%
    1 company offering 3000MB = 4%

This is really informative for the whole budget industry.. I want tell though...

But notice now that their is now 13 (57% of the companies) catagories out of 23 total companies.. In package one we had only 7 (30% of the companies) catagories out of 23 companies. Questions: Who can find any other information out these stats...

CyberSorcerer

23 companies out of thousands is not statistically significant enough to mean anything.
    Andrew McMaster
    http://www.FindMyHosting.com
    Compare Prices, Consumer Reviews, Help, Guides and More.

i think it paints a pretty good picture - these were random hosting companies from this site. great job dude.

Its an interesting study sure & I don't mean to be harsh - but what does it tell you when 1 standard deviation = average - it means the data is as good as picking a random number
    Andrew McMaster
    http://www.FindMyHosting.com
    Compare Prices, Consumer Reviews, Help, Guides and More.

How is this data useful without factoring in such important aspects as bandwidth (cogent worth less than he.net) and tech support (critical metric) and stability of the company?

On a forum like this, price is about the least interesting metric. Everyone is rock-bottom. The question is, who can deliver the goods at such great prices?

Still, it is interesting in a novel kind of way.
    RevMedia, Inc.
    Quality Offshore Development Services
    On Time. On Budget.
    http://www.revmedia.com

Re: forgot one stat

Originally posted by empoweri
    Out of those hosts, how many will be around in two years? :-)
    I do want to see the stats though.
    I find your claims ridiculous; we have been around since April 2001
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Cyber-Dock, you have done a great job! Thanks for this info. You helped me a lot.
    Founder of TradeHolding.com B2B Network and OneLoveNet.com Singles & Dating
    >> Business Blog
    >> Business Links Directory

Since we were analyzed by your software...

Is it at all relevent or taken into account what demographics these plans are targeted at? For example our lowest cost plan is a very, very basic plan targeted to families or people just starting out in web sites. It also includes a web site builder for them. Are tangibles like that taken into account anywhere in your software? I wouldn't even consider a comparable plan to some others since we researched it and found that a lot of hosts don't offer a plan like that at all.

Is this simply price comparison software and nothing else?
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

The Software

Like I said before, this software isn't for sale. I am a programmer and this is strickly in-house software.

The software isn't a crawler or doesn't index sites. It is a desktop application. The reviewer has to physically go to the sites he wants to analyze and put in the information manually.

What the software does is goes through the database and compares the data against all other entries. After doing this, it then does goes through mathimatical functions to evaluate the information. This is where the deviations and other data comes from.

bandwidth is included in the data, but yes you are right. Nothing else is included because like what was mentioned in a post above. Support and things like that is something you just have to experience with a host to believe. This is JUST a price comparison, but give start-ups a place to start their pricing. You will still have to figure, "well the lower in price I go and the more space I give, the more customers I will need for a certain amount of profit per server. But the more customers I get the more cust rises and the more support staff is needed to handle peak periods." This is just a senario and nothing more..... But this is a discussion forum

CyberSorcerer

Awesome idea for a program. Too bad it won't be released but I respect that you spent some time on it and wish to keep it in house. Thanks for what data you did share with us though
    Jordan Bouvier

The Software!

Thanks ServerSonic

I have alot of ideas for software mostly I go about finishing them in my spare time. Sense I make my living on the computer and at from home. Cost are low so I can compete as far as price goes in my local market.

But I also compete on the internet. For those that are good programmers you might want to go to Rent-A-Coder. This is a great place to get softare jobs or web design jobs, although that isn't the biggest part of the market on this site. It is mostly focused on software development.

Go ahead check it out for those interested in extra income in slow times. Also by the way, I am not an affiliate for the site. Just a programmer.

CyberSorcerer

I second the rentacoder site. I have "rented" coders through them before when I couldn't do it myself and found the work that is done to be great for the money.
    Jordan Bouvier

I think that if you could another 30-40 major companies in your software, the research would be great and relatively accurate. Actually, I found it quite useful right now as it is

Boris

Re: The Software

Originally posted by Cyber-Dock
    It is a desktop application. The reviewer has to physically go to the sites he wants to analyze and put in the information manually.

sounds like a spreadsheet to me...

Well!

The program does alot more that just what I mentioned. You should take into account that I use this program for other analysis and market research for companies hiring me. Also the fact I charge $225.00 hour consulting fee. So yes for that price does MUCH more than your simple spreadsheet.

CyberSorcerer

Re: Well!

Originally posted by Cyber-Dock
    The program does alot more that just what I mentioned. You should take into account that I use this program for other analysis and market research for companies hiring me. Also the fact I charge $225.00 hour consulting fee. So yes for that price does MUCH more than your simple spreadsheet.

CyberSorcerer
    A programmer you might be, but a web designer you aint. I'd get a web developer to redo your site if you want any chance of success.

Just my $0.01
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Very true, but I do have paying clients. In both design and hosting, that is what pays my bills. Also my hosting site isn't complete that is why I don't advertise it yet in my sig....

But good observation, I must say.

CyberSorcerer

cyberdock... seriously, you gotta change those colors! the red text on blue background almost made me blind!!!
    Last edited by ServerSonic; 09-28-2002 at 01:25 AM.
    Jordan Bouvier

LOL thanks ServerSonic

Thanks for the info, yes I do have a redesign of the content part. It is going to resemble manila color, with a boarder around it.

Will let you know wene it is up.

CyberSorcerer

Sorry to be so harsh, but I really wanted you to change it:-p Good to hear change is on its way!
    Jordan Bouvier

No problem

No problem Sonic

My site always suffers. I put more attenion to detail and design to clients than my own......

I think it is because, as my wife can tell you, I am never satisfied with my own company design... And not sure if I ever will be, but I keep working at it....

You know as a designer, I look at my own design differently than I look at clients... To me clients sites always come out better then mine?

CyberSorcerer

As a programmer too, I checked out RentACoder. Their 15% fee eems a bit high to me. If I sell a program for $50, I wouldn't want to give them $7.50 of it.

Also, you have to wait a month to get paid thru Paypal.

Very true

But rentacoders is only a small part of my income. And usually when the income comes in, it is a surprise. I like surprises like that.

But I think you have to have mutiple avenues of income if your sole income source is a home business. At present I have 5 sources of income. 4 of then are off-line sources but I am working on the web sites for them.

rentacoders is just another outlet to use. I wouldn't make it my only outlet, but I like it. And the work of mouth is great through the clients that you do get.

CyberSorcerer

how did you get the standard deviation so close to the mean? isnt the standard deviation the difference of the variance from the mean? so wouldnt it be a very low number, and it wouldnt be a price but a value.

Actually, variance is the sum of the squares of the differences from the mean divided by the total number of observation minus one, and standard deviation is the square root of variance.

I think...
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Shelly is on the right track!!

Let take a little example:

let say you add up
    1,2,3,4,5,6,12 = Total of 33

But that 12 in their is not really conforming to the progression.
    But the average of all 7 numbers in 4.71 which does put it in the middle so to speak. This has a deviation of 3.64

Now lets take out the 12 and just use the first 6 numbers.
    1 .. 6 = 21

The average is 3.50 not to much different from above, still land pretty much in the middle.

But our deviation is now only 1.87

BASICALLY statics wise, the closer the deviation gets to 1.00 the more meaningful the numbers are in the analysis.

Hope this helps some without going to math class... lol

CyberSorcerer