Approaching local businesses

I'm planning a local market advertising campaign, but have become stuck on how to contact local businesses (both those already online and those offline) about offering my hosting services. Any suggestions?

How about making some flyers advertising the benefits of a web-presence and putting them out to businesses ? (Mass mailing).

Or maybe a walk-in and discussion with the manager/owner ?

A walk in is never a good idea, especially during business hours.
    Domain Software, LLC.

Better option might be to go straight to the local designers who design for these businesses... might have a better response
    hosting53.com - the hosting solutions company

Try your local Chamber of Commerce
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Originally posted by ice53ltd
    Better option might be to go straight to the local designers who design for these businesses... might have a better response
    Agreed, let them do the work recruting clients, but still share in the success .

What would be the best way to contact local design/programming firms about forming a partnership? Regular mail? E-mail? What should I even propose?

You can try fixing an appointment with the person in charge of the technical stuff. You can target specific commercial areas, where you think you can get the most response.

Fix appointments around that area, so that you can pull off the maximum visits per day.

Also working with webdesigners is a very good idea. Try offering them discounted prices for their client referral etc.

Regards

Mass mailing may not be a good idea , since a Web Host itself in most cases have a strict Mass mail opposing policy .
    Try to contact local designers or touch some Local Website/Portal for advertising for you / sharing their member base for emails .
    http://www.featuredhost.com | mailto: sales@featuredhost.com | ASP.NET-MS SQL-Cold Fusion hosting| Cheap domain registration | MSN : sales@featuredhost.com |

When I want to land a local business, I first Find out who I need to talk to. and 2nd I find a news article that ties his business to the web, maybe how a competitor made the move to the web.

then I hand write a 8.5 X 11 envlope and attach my business card with a letter requesting a call back to set up a meeting.

7 out of 10 time I get a call

Sam

Originally posted by Infinethost
    When I want to land a local business, I first Find out who I need to talk to. and 2nd I find a news article that ties his business to the web, maybe how a competitor made the move to the web.

then I hand write a 8.5 X 11 envlope and attach my business card with a letter requesting a call back to set up a meeting.

7 out of 10 time I get a call

Sam
    Good advise, that's most likely what I will do.

Now, how about approaching local designers? Why type of system should I be propsing. Just an "off-line" affiliate type program?

Hello. Try contacting some kind of internet cafes or starting business that might be somehow tied with web services. Mass mailing would show your unprofessioanalism. People don't like spam. Anyway, good luck!

I think the 'mass mailing' greatbeast was referencing was postal not internet

I believe I'll skip over going to businesses directly, for the time being anyway. I will concentrate on local web designers. I plan to use traditional mail to iniate contact, but the origional question still remains - should I be proposing just an affiliate type program with them? "If you refer me a client, I'll pay you $XX"? That is really the only viable option I'm seeing.

You can always send flyers to area's in your city that are wealthy. Usually they are wealthy because of their "own" business.. and it may be a good idea because they also might have websites or have none so you can profit off that.

There are a lot of ways to get a hold of customers, targeting specific niche's is the best way to get a whole bunch of customers lined up. Tailor your service to serve them the best.

I've spent all afternoon tracking down local design companies and 9 out of 10 offer hosting, so this isn't turning out to be too productive. I think I'll bite the bullet and stick to traditional advertising.

syanet - I agree. I don't see why everyone always says 'contact design companies' They all offer hosting. They would be stupid not too offer hosting, and they will more than likely laugh at you.
    Joe - HostingWave.Com / TXINSURANCE.COM
    http://www.hostingwave.com
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.

research the government pages for your state, or even particular county. I know where I live our county has a website, and one of the areas is for public records and such. Part of that section lists new businesses or DBA's filed for a given week or month. There can be literally a couple hundred filed per week.

You could easily search the list and look for a type of business that may require hosting or a website. Infact, any new business could use an online presence. With that, write them a letter, congratulate them on starting their business, and inform t hem you would like to help

You'll be supprised at the response

Originally posted by flitcher
    A walk in is never a good idea, especially during business hours.
    Interesting thought, flitcher. I find exactly the opposite is true. I take a flyer and my business card, stop in at a business, and tell them I don't want to take up any of their time, but to take a look and give me a call if they are interested. About half contact me and about the same number (half of those that contact me) contract with me for either hosting, design, or both.
    It's been by far the best advertising payback I have done, and the referrals from those clients make me smile even bigger.
    I think the way you do it makes a big difference. I am not a pushy salesperson, and I dislike pushy salespeople, and I think it shows in my approach. I hear from clients that they wanted to get on the web, but didn't really know what they needed to do, and they were happy I stopped in.
    So I have to say, the personal touch is where it's at for me. None of my other advertising has brought a 25% contract rate.

im only 19 and im affraid that my image will be perceived as a 'kid' who doesnt know what he is doing? are there any tips i should know?

Do i wear a suit for a walk in?
    Do i take a briefcase?
    Do i look casual?

What do you say when you first go in?

Its a little daunting
    andrew@localhoster.com.au

I'm 18 and I had the same problem.

Wear what they wear... I found it works the best. If you walk into a bank, you best look nice. If you walk into a music shop and want to convince them to sell CD's online.. dressing somewhat casual is okay.

I had a few bombs the first few places I went.. but I realized what works.

DrChaos is ***completely*** right. You walk in with a very informative flyer that explains why they should spend money... what them NOT having a website and hosting is really costing them... and a business card. Tell them you don't want to take up too much time, but to just look over the flyer and call back if they are interested. Some will talk to you right there, some will call you... some won't. If they don't call you, they just don't care, or they've already been taken care of.
    www.neo-tech.us

- Computer Sales/Repair/Networking
    - Web Design/Web Hosting

anyone care to share theyre flyer? just for an idea.
    andrew@localhoster.com.au

Put what you would tell them directly on the flyer.

Show them how hosting with you will make them more money. Show them how web hosting is the way to go.. show them your plans, convince them, show them how you're better than the competition... offer them a deal, blah blah blah... it's your business, it's your flyer.
    www.neo-tech.us

- Computer Sales/Repair/Networking
    - Web Design/Web Hosting