Problems with apache and authentication

I am having a problem with apache and authentication.

I have configured my apache correctly and have this configuration in the access.conf file :

<Directory />

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
    AllowOverride All

order allow,deny
    allow from all
    </Directory>

Everything seems to run fine until i go into

/home/user/public_html/members/sub-folder/

The .htaccess found in the :

/home/user/public_html/members/ directory works fine for that directory but the only way i get the sub-folders to work is if i place the same .htaccess file within every single sub-folder. By default i thought that apache and .htaccess files take care of sub-folders. Is there a setting that I am missing or is there something I am doing wrong.. I been @ it since 9 am and right now its 1 AM the next day and i can't seem to figure it out.

Please help !!!

Re: Problems with apache and authentication

Originally posted by prelude2001c
    I am having a problem with apache and authentication.

I have configured my apache correctly and have this configuration in the access.conf file :

<Directory />

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
    AllowOverride All

order allow,deny
    allow from all
    </Directory>

That is for the default permissions of ehat you'll allow. You don't need to touch that in this instance. You can just leabe it at:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    </Directory>

You also should know that the area you do need to modufy (either the virtual host or the <Directory /home/*/public_html> part, that if you specify what you want, it will result in assuming you don't want anything else. You should add +OptionNameHere, rather than OptionName's listed in the Options durective.

You should uncomment the following:

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec

<Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    </Limit>

You should have all the options you need there, but you can add more or ne more specific. If you have clients on this system and it's not your own, you should really restrict what they can do with their .htaccess file anyway (for control and protection (albeit not anything horrible to do without)), but I won't get into that here.
    Robert McGregor
    URL: http://www.2host.com
    Email: robertm@(nospam)2host.com