Thread: Damn Spammer..

Damn Spammer..

Argh.. a little annoyed right now as I just got used a little spam hole..

Luckily not TOO much damage...

I'm wondering where I should stand on his information..

I feel like I should post it here, so everyone can be aware.. his name he gave was real, he had the nerve to call me when he signed up and play nice.. his caller ID matched the name, but not the number. (Shoulda saw it coming)

So what would you do?
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-26-2002 at 07:03 PM.
    Joseph Marcelletti
    Sprynex
      0 Not allowed!

Post it, post all the info you got
      0 Not allowed!

Ok im convinced that's the right thing to do.. I just wanted 1 person to confirm it before I went posting in a rage of fury..

Editted due to conflict of views.
    Last edited by Skylands; 09-27-2002 at 01:13 PM.
    Joseph Marcelletti
    Sprynex
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks!
    Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.
    http://www.hostime.com
      0 Not allowed!

Spammer or no spammer you better real REAL careful posting personal details on the internet of a customer. You have just violated every privacy act law in the world.

I would hate to be you if he finds out, the lawsuit could be massive.
      0 Not allowed!

I suggest you delete most of that information except the name maybe.. It is too bad that things like this can get you in trouble but they can and they will get you in ALOT of trouble..
      0 Not allowed!

me to think You posted a little to much... just leave his name/username/IP address however I know what You feel though, I had one spammer too...

Or maybe You have in your TOS that You will public every detail of spamming customer on WHT
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by VIPsNet
    Or maybe You have in your TOS that You will public every detail of spamming customer on WHT

I know I do!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by VIPsNet
    me to think You posted a little to much... just leave his name/username/IP address however I know what You feel though, I had one spammer too...

That's not a bad idea- but I wouldn't restrict it to WHT
      0 Not allowed!

Greetings:

God is not damned.

<<MOD NOTE: Thread title altered>>
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-26-2002 at 07:04 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Sprynex
    <removed>
    LOL. He lives about 50 mins from me. Want me to go there and give him a stern warning?
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-27-2002 at 10:09 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by flitcher
    He lives about 50 mins from me.
    Do you really think the information he provided is for real?
      0 Not allowed!

If your referring to the spammer then I would say, yes. All that info matches up with the local area codes and zip codes. If he doesn't live at that exact address then he probably lives somewhere around that location.
    Domain Software, LLC.
      0 Not allowed!

My Privacy Policy

reads in part "...Spammers have no reasonable expectation of privacy. If I'm your host, and you choose to spam, then your account will be closed immediately without refund, and your information published."

Might be hard, but I haven't recieved any complaints, yet.
      0 Not allowed!

I would imagine this is stolen information, and posting the information not only is illegal, but shows you have no respect for your privacy policy, no matter if the customer is yours or not.

This issue has come up many times before, but when you post this information online for the world to see, its bordering slader, as there are so many variables that you just dont have control over. What if the credit card was stolen, you put the info on your site, and archive.org or google cached the site. Thats a problem. Clients that lie and non-payment is part of the industry, just like any industry. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and move on.

Imagine if the real person (if one exists) were to search google and find their private information on the internet for all to see. That could lead to legal issues for you. Its just not a good business practice. Legal or not, thats one of those things you just don't do.
      0 Not allowed!

It seems he used pretty legit (or at least matching) information.

The address and phone number (npa-nxx) would seem correct. That exchange does go to that area of town.

The other number he called you from is a Oldsmar exchange which is very close to his home address (work perhaps)

He uses Verizon Americast Cable modem service so I would contact them as well about the customer.

Even the company name matches with the State of Florida records:

M.Y. SOFTWARE, INC.

PRINCIPAL ADDRESS
    702 HEATHROW LANE
    PALM HARBOR FL 34683

The contact name for the corporation is not the same as the one you listed however. The information may have been stolen perhaps?
      0 Not allowed!

hmm, I did a reverse search on that phone number that you said was on the caller ID and this is what I got. I am releasing this, given that it's publically available info:

Results:
    A PACINI

CLEARWATER FL 33761
    (727) 781-5912

No address was listed.

Hope that helps!
    -WC-
      0 Not allowed!

0 Not allowed!

Oops, I had previously looked up the number he gave. Here is the info on the phone number that was on the caller ID:

Results:
    A KORNREICH

TAMPA FL 33635
    (813) 854-4028

Again, no address. Weird.

-WC-
      0 Not allowed!

Were you able to make use of this info I found out here?

-WC-
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

God is not damned.
    i agree.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by TheMMIz
    I would imagine this is stolen information, and posting the information not only is illegal, but shows you have no respect for your privacy policy, no matter if the customer is yours or not.

This issue has come up many times before, but when you post this information online for the world to see, its bordering slader, as there are so many variables that you just dont have control over. What if the credit card was stolen, you put the info on your site, and archive.org or google cached the site. Thats a problem. Clients that lie and non-payment is part of the industry, just like any industry. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and move on.

Imagine if the real person (if one exists) were to search google and find their private information on the internet for all to see. That could lead to legal issues for you. Its just not a good business practice. Legal or not, thats one of those things you just don't do.
    ohhh pllllleeeeeeeeaaaze, do you have any idea what kind of damage spammers do to servers? For starters, spamcop and other companies blacklist your IP, which sucks. Secondly, they use up a ton of system resources mailing out thousands if not hundreds of thousands of mail per hour. Then if thats not enough, the next day your inbox is FLOODED with UCP letters and hate mail.
      0 Not allowed!

XTNet,

Are you trying to rationalize one's unethical, unprofessional, and possibly illegal activities (posting a customer's information) by saying its okay because they caused harm to the server? If thats the case, such information belogs on a lawyers desk and not the internet for the world to see.
      0 Not allowed!

Why shouldn't the world see it?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by MilkMan
    Why shouldn't the world see it?
    They should. I think someone here is a spammer.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by TheMMIz

This issue has come up many times before, but when you post this information online for the world to see, its bordering slader
    Under what specific law would posting it be "illegal?" None that I know of. As for whether it shows respect for his own privacy policy, can't say without reading that policy, which I haven't done.

By "slader" I'm sure you meant to type "slander." But it could in no way be slander, which can only be done "orally;" and both slander and libel generally have to impact the affected person's profession or occupation, cause them real financial damages, or accuse them of a crime. And as long as the facts posted are true and accurate there'd be grounds for action. That is, don't say "this is the person who did it," say "this is the name that was used" and appeared both on the caller ID and on the order.

Granted, I wouldn't have posted so much information myself but on the other hand the way legal advice and opinions are tossed around without research or knowledge bothers me just about as much.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.
      0 Not allowed!

I helped someone put up a deadbeat dad page, listed all his info like name, address, social security #, drivers license number, etc.

Person is a deadbeat, I see nothing wrong with it.

Most spammers tend to be deadbeats too
      0 Not allowed!

<sarchasm>
    I host a known terrorist, he gave legit information, heck hes planning on bombing another US monument. But, since its against the law, i probably shouldnt share this with anyone right? Right? Am I right?
    </sarchasm>

Please TheMMIz, spammers are criminals, what they are doing is illegal, they are deadbeats as the mighty milkman so clearly stated, the terms and conditions of the agreement made between host and client is terminated as soon as a spamming takes place. The host can report this information to the necessary authorities, and warn others who may be in their destructive path.
      0 Not allowed!

There's a difference.

If you have info about illegal terrorist activity, you can call the FBI privately and report it. If you post it on a public board and it ends up false, but before it comes out false someone comes to kill that person's family - you are in direct cause to that murder. Not sure if that would be accessory or what.

As for Spamming being more illegal than posting private info - think about it. Spamming can be proved but it's a lot of work given how much they move around and such. But he can prove wrong doing based on printing out the page of private info posted and the IP info that Chicken would have to divulge to a subpoena.

That's why I only posted info that is available publically anyways.

Just think of the bigger picture.
    -WC-
      0 Not allowed!

You have a point, im just so infuriated ( ) with spammers, i just think they are worth the scum on the bottom of my shoes...
      0 Not allowed!

I think the card info should NOT have been included at all - Could land trouble with your merchant provider big time maybe.
    I can't imagine telling my bank.. oh yeah any spammers on my server get part of their credit card info shown to the whole Internet.. common sense tells me not to do either.

If that card belongs to someone else, you just posted their info..
    Name, expiry date.. Not good. Yes I know you covered the numbers with xxx and spammers deserve everything they get.. posting that info was a little OTT and probably illegal too.

People get spammed - No one likes it - What you did IMHO was a little extreme.
      0 Not allowed!

Well I'm sorry some of you feel that way, but I don't think any spammer should be able to walk around in the shadows.. no different then when a child molestor moves into town and his information is shared.. when you have a person in society that causes a problem, they need to be exposed.

I didn't post his "Credit card info" I posted the last 4 digits and exp.. I hardly consider that something that can be dangerous.. only used to check against.
    Joseph Marcelletti
    Sprynex
      0 Not allowed!

I don't want to get into any flaming here.. but a child molestor and a spammer can not be compared at all.

You did what you thought to be right and thats the main thing, as long as you are satisfied with your actions thats all that matters.
      0 Not allowed!

Right thing

I think there is nothing Wrong with posting partial info
    We have that guy in our Customer Database. he is not a current customer, but in 2000 he was.

once Lame always Lame

-------
    Sam
    Infinet Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

I didn't post his "Credit card info" I posted the last 4 digits and exp.. I hardly consider that something that can be dangerous.. only used to check against.
    I don't want to be the judge of that, how about contacting your merchant provider, pointing them here and asking them if it is ok and posting the answer back here so we know?
      0 Not allowed!