I'd like to create one (or more?) small wiki's and I'm trying to find a good host for this.
    I've seen a couple of free ones but usually they require you to use awful templates with very intrusive advertisements, etc. I'd love to find a free one and don't mind a bit of advertising but I'd still like to know what my options are.
    Does anybody have any suggestions?
    Also, if the lounge isn't the right place for this thread then please forgive me :\

do wikis have certain server requirements to run? I never had one and I never planned on it so I don't know. But I know Fantastico and Installatron comes with wiki installers so you could really go with any host. I'd stay away from Free hosts even though they are free.
    I know installatron has MediaWiki, I just checked on my server, and You can probably get other Wiki softwares from the net without a problem.

The Tiny plan at ASmallOrange ($25/year) would probably suit your needs, depending on your definition of "small". I ran a small wiki there before and it performed fine, although it didn't get a whole lot of activity.
    All you really need is database access, a little space and a little bandwidth. Most hosts would be fine for a wiki.

Do you know what kind of wiki you're planning to run? (Which script)

I've seen MediaWiki run on a great many different shared hosts... At least I believe it's called MediaWiki

I'd like to create one (or more?) small wiki's and I'm trying to find a good host for this.
    What kind of wiki's are these? Are they informal for like a gaming community or something more serious/personal?
    I've seen a couple of free ones but usually they require you to use awful templates with very intrusive advertisements, etc. I'd love to find a free one and don't mind a bit of advertising but I'd still like to know what my options are.
    Does anybody have any suggestions?
    First of all do you have a domain registered? If you don't, do you plan on registering a domain?
    A free host, free Wiki host or even free subdomain will probably have annoying ads and/or a hard to remember subdomain like http://sofakngwiki.250MBfree.com/
    If you want to build a wiki the right way I would recommend:
    1) Register a domain with a domain registrar such as GoDaddy.com or NameCheap.com
    2) Go with paid hosting whether it's $10/yr (http://www.ripplehost.com/) or $6/mo (http://www.hawkhost.com/Shared/compare). Paid hosting has several advantages, no ads, better uptime and of course support.
    3) Install Wiki software, there are over 20 (http://www.hotscripts.com/category/php/scripts-programs/wikis/) to choose from.
    So I guess my questions are:
    1) Are you willing to pay for a domain and web hosting?
    2) If you are willing to pay for web hosting, what's your budget? $5 to $10 per month is a good start.
    Also, if the lounge isn't the right place for this thread then please forgive me :\
    You are forgiven

jamesbroad Guest
    First of all you can search on Google good wiki hosting service..
    They have provide several option to wiki hosting services.
    You can open a link and find a good wiki hosting service...........

First of all you can search on Google good wiki hosting service..
    They have provide several option to wiki hosting services.
    You can open a link and find a good wiki hosting service...........
    Good News, Yes though I would also do some research into each host that I come across. I would not just hit google and choose the top host from the list.
    You have a great concept, Though, You should not always rely on google. Webhosting Talk also provides some benefits of Members Reviews and Members experiences.
    My opinion, But I see it this way.

If you need free web hosting I suppose that freeWHT and frewabspace forums should be visited by you

I really like the ASP.NET ScrewTurn wiki. Windows hosting required. (Sorry, no Mono.)

FS - Mike Guest
    MediaWiki is indeed a great wiki system, it is used in all WikiMedia projects, such as Wikipedia, Wiktionary and Wikiquote to name but a few.
    It will run on any linux shared hosting that supports PHP and MySQL.
    As far as a host, there are plenty of good shared hosts out there. Check out the offers section.

If it were me, I wouldn't look for a specific Wiki host, I would just look for a good host that has support for Wiki's. Like everyone has said, the software works on the setup that most hosts have.

If it were me, I wouldn't look for a specific Wiki host, I would just look for a good host that has support for Wiki's. Like everyone has said, the software works on the setup that most hosts have.
    I totally have to agree. Most reliable and good hosts have installers that allow you install a number of wikis. So make sure you find a good host first rather than a host for wikis. You may find yourself getting the cart before the horse in this situation.
    Additionally, you won't need much disk space but will need access to a solid database (MySQl is IMHO is really good). Definitely stay away from anything that states "Free"..nothing is ever free there always seems to be some strings attached to it...