I saw a thread or two in the Tutorials forum saying you should look at web hosting review sites as one way to find a good/reliable host. Then I saw another thread on this site saying that you can't trust any of the review sites because the reviews might all be written by the hosts' salesmen, and you should just go to WHT to find good hosts.
    Well I'm a newbie with this stuff. I want to set up a few simple web sites, experiment with AdSense, maybe set up a web-based message board or two. I take it that "shared hosting" is what I want right now? I see that there is a "Find A Host" link at the top of WHT. Are the host providers in there the ones that I should be looking at, or are they just random host providers who have paid to be in there?

I saw a thread or two in the Tutorials forum saying you should look at web hosting review sites as one way to find a good/reliable host. Then I saw another thread on this site saying that you can't trust any of the review sites because the reviews might all be written by the hosts' salesmen, and you should just go to WHT to find good hosts.
    Well I'm a newbie with this stuff. I want to set up a few simple web sites, experiment with AdSense, maybe set up a web-based message board or two. I take it that "shared hosting" is what I want right now? I see that there is a "Find A Host" link at the top of WHT. Are the host providers in there the ones that I should be looking at, or are they just random host providers who have paid to be in there?
    Most review sites do have ways of preventing the actual host from making the reviews. I've noticed WebHostingStuff to be tough on that. As far as the Find a Host link, that only will allow hosts who have subscribed to give you an offer.

moonstar Guest
    Reading reviews always gives an idea even they are trustable or not... If a company has lots of negative reviews, it can not be wrong...

You should make a list of a few hosts that you like and search for reviews on WHT. After that you can post them in this thread so we can help you with the elimination.
    - Daniel

I believe you are much better off trying to make a short list of a few providers and then research them. You can search in this forum but be sure to do a search on google.com for feedback as well. Most all review sites have top paid slot positions. Remember to email any potential host you are thinking of signing up with!
    Best of luck.

You can search a host here, but also google a host. you will be surprise what you might findout. You just have to do your homework. Good luck!

The web hosting providers who you find via "Find a Host" are providers who have paid to be put there.
    A regular web hosting account, aka Shared Hosting will easily suffice in the hosting of your web-based message boards.
    I'd recommend to stay away from those "review" websites as most of them receive some sort of a referral credit / cash for getting you to sign up, also known as an affiliate program.
    The best place to find a web hosting provider is right here on web hosting talk. I recommend checking the offers forum, or reading through the many threads here on WHT.... two great places to find a provider.

and you should just go to WHT to find good hosts.
    That is true IMHO, though just coming here won't magically solve the problem. You need to take the time to read threads, and make extensive use of the search tool: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php. Tip: the "search titles only" option can be a major time saver, but you still should read the threads in their entirety, as the title alone may be misleading.
    or are they just random host providers who have paid to be in there? That is the case. They're not officially recommended hosts, or anything of the sort, so doing your research is still important.

WHT is a great start! Forums are a good place to start creating a list of potential companies. Here, your going to find a lot of people for and against just about every provider. Many are from actual clients or former clients that share true experiences. Keep in mind that not all are credible...all the more reason to use multiple resources.
    Once you have a short list, start doing searches specific to that host. You will find many reviews and opinions on just about every provider out there. I would recommend taking your time and utilizing multiple resources to formulate an educated decision.
    A few providers I would recommend:
    HostGator
    netFirms
    Inmotion
    Having a plan for future growth is another factor that should go into your decision. There are providers that offer single plans and little or no room to expand. There are many single plan providers out there that offer good services, butI personaly like to go with providers that offer several hosting plans. Multiple hosting plans gives me the room to grow within the same provider and helps me to avoid having to transfer to a new host in the near future.
    You will find a good amount of people stating that the domain name should be purchased from a different source then the hosting service you choose. Just thought I should add that I have multiple sites that have the domain name and provider with the same company...never had a problem, even when leaving for a new host. There are a ton of hosts that give you a domain name free when purchasing a hosting plan. If your on a tight budget, every dollar counts!
    Anyway,
    Best of luck on your hosting search!

As long as you put in the time and effort into researching potential providers before you sign up you shouldn't have any troubles finding a reliable provider you can trust.
    As others have mentioned the search tool is key.

WHT is the better resource, and if I were looking, that's what I would go with.
    Shared hosting seems like a good fit for you right now. It's the best place to start in my opinion. For the Find a Host option, hosts do pay for those leads. Basically, you fill out the form, and you'll have I think 4 hosts contact you. The hosts pay for those leads though, and I don't think it would give you a better chance of finding a great host.
    If it were me, I'd check out the offers section here, but I'd take the offers there with a grain of salt. There's a bunch of people who post there, but aren't active here in the forums.