Paypal - questions?

I signed up with paypal a few weeks back and had my account all setup. It was a lot of hassle trying to not get caught out so I have to pay huge fees etc but I thought I had done it.

I received a payment today from someone and tried to accept it. It asked me to add a bank account (non-US, i'm in the UK) so I did this. They then asked me to add a credit card! How am I supposed to do this when I don't have a credit card? I only use debit cards as I don't trust CC's. I'm sure there must be a way round this for example people under 18 must be able to receive money via paypal somehow?

From what I see they also want me to upgrade my account to some crappy upgrade at the same time!

I wish they made this thing simple - does anyone know a way to sort this out? I would like to get accept my payment from someone. I even went so far to adding my fathers CC (with his permission of course) so that I can get the money but this bleeding thing falls since the CC statement isn't due for about 3-4 weeks.

Surely there is another way around this?
    Last edited by The Laughing Cow; 09-24-2002 at 12:15 PM.

try check your bank statement online (if your bank have something like that online)

as i know, the name of the credit card holder have to be the same you have register in your paypal acount, so how you add yours fathers credit card ?
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

He doesn't have online CC statements which is a problem. I didn't think that it would be a problem as I have used his CC before (again with permission) plenty of times online.

I get a credit card in the next few weeks if they'll give me one (being a full-time university student isn't the most high paid occupation )

Paypal is so confusing as they want to trick you on every page to upgrade to a paid account.

Cool Hi The Laughing Cow,

Hi,

Sorry, but a debit card can't be used for the confirmation (I have reported the request with our international team). A credit card must be added to accept the payment.

In addition, your post seems to indicate that you are not 18? If so, then you can't have a PayPal account (User Agreement specifies that you must be 19.)
    Damon
    PayPal Consumer Relations

I hope you really didn't add your father's credit card onto your paypal account... I have a feeling its going to be frozen soon (happened to me -- but a check card - husbands).

Hi Damon,

I am over 18. I was talking to you via email and I am really greatful for the quick reply it's much apreciated.

I used my fathers card (with his permission) and firstly am not sure if it's allowed to use his card by your terms and also we decided after signing up we didn't really want to do it.

Oops I am really annoying I guess

Ohhhhhhhhhhh dear looks like i'm gonna get it

*pleads with paypal*

I've gotta say big thumbs up to Damon from paypal. I think other people should take advice from people like this who deserve to be successful in business.

Many, many thanks to damon - can't say enough to show the apreciation I have

*Hopes they will add debit cards*

Hey! I own

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    I get a credit card in the next few weeks if they'll give me one (being a full-time university student isn't the most high paid occupation )
    Credit Card companies tend to be very generous with credit cards to university students -- because even if we're not earning anything right *now*, we're going to earn lots of money *later*. Losing a thousand dollars if you default on your credit card debt really wouldn't bother them if they knew you'd be using their credit card for hundreds of thousands of dollars of purchases over the rest of your life.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

I went down to my local Nat West. They wouldn't let me have one. I get a student account soon so perhaps they'll give me one with that

it's a lot different in the UK compared to the US... as I found out when I moved to California

got CC's coming out my ears now, but I couldn't get one in the UK
    Web Developer - Java/JSP/EJB, PHP/MySQL, XML/XSLT

Damn UK. Anyone want to adopt me?

as we all know paypal is evil ....i had a client that i made a script for his site so he could sell his product using the IPN system. anyways we were testing it and we did it like once and they accused him of fraud and froze his account...seems like they do that to alot of people...but as we alll should know (if you read their tou) that you cant sue them and technicly they are not a bank..just my 2 cents...
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Cool Hi interactive.

I was wondering if your friend set-up multiple accounts? That may have raised a fraud flag in our system.
    Damon

Thanks for the kind words I do try very hard to assist/educate our users when they have questions/problems.
    Damon

As an aside, it would be ok to use your father's card if you were listed on his account.
    Damon

Thanks Damon,

Being new to paypal I got a bit confused at how it works. I think i'm right in saying that if a person pays me via paypal using his/her credit card then I need to be a "authorised" customer or whatever the term is. If they pay me via the balance in their paypal account then I don't have to be?

I got confused with this as I thought both were more-or-less the same! I went to accept the payment and it said I needed to signup a CC to be allowed to accept the payment. So I went ahead and as I only have debit cards i.e Switch cards I asked to use my fathers. I then realised that I could receive the payment from the payers credit in his paypal account.

Is this right? I hope that the charge didn't go through on the credit card otherwise it's going to cause a lot of hassle - I guess that's my main worry as I assured my father in the end that it was cancelled.

Terry

Re: Hi The Laughing Cow,

Originally posted by paypaldamon
    In addition, your post seems to indicate that you are not 18? If so, then you can't have a PayPal account (User Agreement specifies that you must be 19.)
    On that note, I'd really urge Paypal to do something about that. I know there are legal issues with dealing with minors, but banks seem to be able to do it (laws vary, of course, but here in Canada I had a bank account at age 10, a debit card at age 13, and was able to write cheques at age 15); while the issue doesn't effect me, I remember it being a major nuisance to not have a credit card -- I would have bought all sorts of stuff online if I had been able to.

I think the younger demographic is far more likely to adopt Paypal as a common means of paying for things; if you find some way of making it legal for them to do so, I think you'll find major benefits a few years from now.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

I think some kind of easily available Visa/MC debit card would be great. Most want quite a hefty income well above a kids income

Originally posted by interactive
    ....i had a client that i made a script for his site so he could sell his product using the IPN system. anyways we were testing it and we did it like once and they accused him of fraud and froze his account...seems like they do that to alot of people...
    thats worrying. I've written scripts for clients that use IPN... I had no problem, but it hadn't occurred to me they may flag testing as fraudulent behaviour...

I made sure to test with values of $0.05.. maybe thats why...

any official word on that paypaldamon? would be good to know in future, so my account doesn't get frozen

Just thought id add, no problem with PayPal here, has worked great for me on numerous occasions I cant see what people dont like about it.

The over 18 rule is great, stops people under age using the system for abusive purposes and to be quite honest not having a CC for "safety" reasons is pure bull poo poo - I always use my CC for online purchases because its protected free of charge for online fraud (as most are) and my visa debit card isnt.

Big Thumbs Up To PayPal
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

I agree. I've used 'em for years no problems, but as I have written IPN integrated sites, the comment from interactive got me thinking what there policy is for testing

Re: Hi The Laughing Cow,

Originally posted by paypaldamon
    Hi,

Sorry, but a debit card can't be used for the confirmation (I have reported the request with our international team). A credit card must be added to accept the payment.

I find that very funny! I used my debit card with paypal and worked fine. Its a visa debit card with bank of america. Also ive had mine now for 2 years. It froze up about a year ago because it needed to know i was 18 by entering my bank account and my debit card...err cc card under my name. Well no problems there...im 16 and have my bank account under my own personal name and my visa debit under my name with my face and sig on it. So I just added those in and have been home free. Now i am old enough to use it legaly but i find it funny. When i had trouble with it i would call paypal support talk on the phone and they would never suspect that i was underage... It was great!...

Basically age dont matter...all they care about is if you have a cc and bank account. Now remember if you debit card is a visa or mastercard or something it can be used there.

One other small tip thats off topic. If you have a visa debt card then when ever you go somewhere to use it and they say credit or debit never say debit...say credit. If you say credit you have the power of charge backs with visa...if you say debit you have to punch in your number and you dont get the fun little charge back stuff.

Some of us > 18 year olds can't/won't get a CC!

Cool

Hi cedwards,

I am going to assume that you are a domestic (US) user that has a MC/Visa logo on your card. The issue for straight debit cards is actually different for overseas users.
    Damon