How is your nameservers set up for reseller accounts?

How would you people set up the nameservers for your reseller clients? Or what method do you prefer? Any other suggestions?

1. Register a generic name; ie; nameservers.com and use ns1.nameserver.com and ns2.nameserver.com for your clients. This will require nameserver registration obviously.

2. Use their domain name and create an [A-RECORD] ns1 & ns1 pointing to two of your nameservers. Problem is, some registrars will not commit changes to this because the hostname isn't registered in verisigns/enom/name root database. The true IP is already registered though. Not sure if they allow multiple hosts for the same IP
    Last edited by Onture; 09-24-2002 at 06:14 AM.

Good question. I wish you'd put this in the Reseller forum, though. You'd be surprised how few resellers read the technical forum. Maybe a mod will move it.

I prefer #1, easier, more common - and no problems.

If you have many customers it might be a good idea also to have an off-server site for emergencies that they all know about.

Yeah I might have to go for option 1 too. Hmmmmmmm
    <<Please RTFM for signature setup>>

Hy,

we offer both ways, this depends on what the reseller wishes and some small other pieces called money ;o)

Greetings
    Oliver

Lightbulb

I wonder if its allowed to have two hostnames registered with one IP in the dns/host database. Going to email them. If its allowed, it will make life so much simpler.

Originally posted by VS-Lap
    I wonder if its allowed to have two hostnames registered with one IP in the dns/host database. Going to email them. If its allowed, it will make life so much simpler.
    Your question has been discussed here
    AceWebHosting.Com
    Cheap Web Hosting - Multiple Domain Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Virtual Private Server

Yes, that is possible.
    You can set up more than one DNS server on one IP address.
    I don't know if every registrar allows You to do this, but Enom for sure does, though.

Originally posted by VIPsNet

Yes, that is possible.
    You can set up more than one DNS server on one IP address.
    I don't know if every registrar allows You to do this, but Enom for sure does, though.
    Dosen't seem like it. I emailed namecheap.com (enom resellers), their response.

------------------------------------
    Hello,

No you cannot do that, as conflicts will happen, and will not let us register them.. Sorry!

Kindest Regards,

So I guess back to plan 1.

Dosen't seem like it. I emailed namecheap.com (enom resellers), their response.

Hello,

No you cannot do that, as conflicts will happen, and will not let us register them.. Sorry!

I know for sure You can because I did this and have few DNS servers set up that way.

Tell namecheap to log-in into their reseller's accont at Enom's then click 'domain names' and then 'Register DNS'
    On that page enter name of Your nameserver (ie. ns1.your_reseller.com) and IP address (ie. 123.123.23.23)

You can use your Plan 1, however sooner or later someone will ask You about personalized name servers.

I will PM You with IP address of my DNS server and You can check with InterNIC that there are 3 name servers associated with one IP address.

okay. good luck

Originally posted by VIPsNet

I know for sure You can because I did this and have few DNS servers set up that way.

Tell namecheap to log-in into their reseller's accont at Enom's then click 'domain names' and then 'Register DNS'
    On that page enter name of Your nameserver (ie. ns1.your_reseller.com) and IP address (ie. 123.123.23.23)

You can use your Plan 1, however sooner or later someone will ask You about personalized name servers.

I will PM You with IP address of my DNS server and You can check with InterNIC that there are 3 name servers associated with one IP address.

okay. good luck

Hmm, maybe its possible but they don't want to do it? If thats the case I'll just sign up with enom directly and do it myself or something.

Hello,

Kindest Regards,

So I guess back to plan 1.
    No technical conflicts here but conflicts will happen if you use IPs which you are not authorized to use.
    AceWebHosting.Com
    Cheap Web Hosting - Multiple Domain Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Virtual Private Server

Hmm, maybe its possible but they don't want to do it? If thats the case I'll just sign up with enom directly and do it myself or something.
    Come on. You can get an Enom's reseller account easily nowadays.
    AceWebHosting.Com

Woohoo. Signed up, left out credit card info. Created the account. Now I can see Register DNS section!

I think you could ask any Enom reseller to register the nameservers for You, it don't have to be namecheap.com...

it was a good choice to get enom reseller account, we use it and are pretty happpy. i remember there was only one issue and i couldn't register domain for my customer for couple of hours because they system was down.

You can do it and it will work sometimes.. But your gonna have a bunch of pissed off customers when their domains are all unreachable from Europe which is already starting to use the new bind 9.

Originally posted by Monte
    You can do it and it will work sometimes.. But your gonna have a bunch of pissed off customers when their domains are all unreachable from Europe which is already starting to use the new bind 9.
    But thats related to the BIND daemon version on the server right?

Nooo that is what some of the ISP's in Europe are running and we are already having to make changes to our DNS zones to make them work.

There is a whole thread on this subject in the cpanel forms.

Have you got some name servers set up this way? I will run a DNS report showing you why it is not a good idea.

Oh. I will search for it at cpanel forums. I don't have the server yet. Got to decide on a control panel before I get a server. So then I can tell the provider to install the distribution type and partitioning scheme.

Edit:

Probably go for PLESK 5. Its using BIND 9.2.1.