This won't mess up will it?

I have a domain name with a site hosted on a host at the moment. I have purchased a new hosting account somewhere else, now can I upload all my site's files to the new server, then change DNS settings for the domain and the settings for the webhosting account so they are matching to my domain name...

Here's the main part:

Will my site still be accessible at the old host to all people, until it propagates for people, ie. because the files are on both servers, surely the site should be viewable to everyone at all times?

That's exactly how you should do it, and yes, everyone will be able to see it as it transitions to the new servers. In a bit (few days) you can then kill off the old account (more time the better, but 2-3 days is generally enough time.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Yes, if you have everything the same on both sites and then change your Name servers to the new host you site should always be available.
    Sitekeeper
    Google

Originally posted by Chicken
    That's exactly how you should do it, and yes, everyone will be able to see it as it transitions to the new servers. In a bit (few days) you can then kill off the old account (more time the better, but 2-3 days is generally enough time.

Are you for hire chicken? In between the support tickets you could them on the head
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Ok that's good but I think i'll leave it on the old account for about 4-5 days since there are some bad ISPs out there

[kinda like mine, sometimes it takes many days ]
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

FYI - If you have any kind of dynamic content on your site, like a forum, you may want to shut it down (with an announcement, of course ) before you back up your files for your move to your new host. After the DNS changes have propagated, you can then re-open your forum. This will keep you from losing posts and/or new registrations.
    The member formerly known as Enigmatics
    Teh Harem

If you have been given a temporary sub-domain on the new server (i.e yourname.host.com) or an IP address then you could just put any dynamic content on the new server and just have a redirect on the old server to the temporary seb-domain or IP

(if you get me!)

That's a pretty good idea... Very good idea.

-WC-