online - s'where between home & datacenter

how to deal with SPAM

Hi,

how to deal with this SPAM which my client gets. Previously these SPAMs used to come through cwasia.com.sg or reach.com.sg or reach.com network. Spamcop.net sends spam report to [email protected]. After no solution, my client complained to SGNIC about cwasia.com.sg

Recently, my client still gets SPAMs and SPAMCOP sends spam report to [email protected] but my client checked that SGNIC have cancelled the domain cwasia.com.sg and Whois shows its available!!

So can the Anti SPAM techies explain how its going on? and how it can be reported to correct people.

thanks
    ----------- START SPAM HEADER -------------
    Subject: The New Leaders Legacy: Mentoring The Mentoring Leader Creating a New Future
    Sender: admin@www.peakconquering.com
    To: [email protected]
    Received: from www.peakconquering.com (unknown [202.126.159.204])
    by imta09.mta.everyone.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 44B8819128C
    for <[email protected]>; Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:03:50 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: (from [email protected])
    by www.peakconquering.com (8.10.2/8.10.2) id g8N82Nw17324;
    Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:02:23 +0800
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary=boundary42
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Reply-To: "RCI Pte. Ltd." <[email protected]>
    Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:02:23 +0800
    Message-Id: <200209230802.g8N82Nw17324@www.peakconquering.com>
    ------------ END SPAM HEADER ---------------

perl -le '$_=`man perlfaq1`;print/"(j.*)"/'
    Blocking whole countries often helps. Korea, China, Japan, Indonesia, etc. Also, enabling popular blacklists help. Spamcop is not a feasible solution for anything.
    Richard Ward
    1 NET LANE, LLC.
    http://www.1NL.net
    The low cost data center.

Re: how to deal with SPAM

Originally posted by merconline
    Hi,

how to deal with this SPAM which my client gets. Previously these SPAMs used to come through cwasia.com.sg or reach.com.sg or reach.com network. Spamcop.net sends spam report to [email protected]. After no solution, my client complained to SGNIC about cwasia.com.sg

Recently, my client still gets SPAMs and SPAMCOP sends spam report to [email protected] but my client checked that SGNIC have cancelled the domain cwasia.com.sg and Whois shows its available!!

So can the Anti SPAM techies explain how its going on? and how it can be reported to correct people.

According to whois for ip address 202.126.159.204, you need to contact [email protected]. There is nothing in the header or whois about cwasia.com.sg, where is this address coming from?

You should not report spam to NIC, it is not their responsibility, report to IP address owner instead. And you should not trust any address/domain in the header except when it is generated by the receiving mail server, generally you should ONLY trust the first received header from the top. The others can be easily forged by the spammer.

Originally posted by Richard Ward
    Blocking whole countries often helps. Korea, China, Japan, Indonesia, etc. Also, enabling popular blacklists help. Spamcop is not a feasible solution for anything.
    Also, block any incoming traffic to port 25, this will reduce amount of spam down to zero. Guaranteed!

Originally posted by priyadi

Also, block any incoming traffic to port 25, this will reduce amount of spam down to zero. Guaranteed!
    What Richard Ward said about blocking China, Korea, Japan, etc.. would be funny if there weren't at least some truth to it. I have yet to receive anything from any of the above-mentioned countries that isn't either spam, fraud, or a hack attempt..

-Bob

Blocking whole countries often helps. Korea, China, Japan, Indonesia, etc
    How would you do that?
    Deb Suran
    Musical Instrument Makers Forum - http://www.mimf.com

How do I do this on a dedicated server?
    [SIZE=1]Main Rig: Leadtek nForce2 Ultra Delux | [email protected] | 512MB Corsair XMS3200 | GeForce Ti4200 [email protected]/610 | 2*120GB WD SE HD
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B Black | [email protected] | 512MB Samsung PC2700 | ATi Radeon 8500 64MB | 120GB Seagate Barracuda V HD
    Total Gamer Network Network Founder

Originally posted by Furton

How do I do this on a dedicated server?

You can restrict e-mail from the APNIC Class-A's. I'm not sure what they are, but you can look them up.

James

Originally posted by zRedDice
    You can restrict e-mail from the APNIC Class-A's. I'm not sure what they are, but you can look them up.

James
    That would block the whole Asia-Pacific!!!

Monte, what was that for?
    [SIZE=1]Main Rig: Leadtek nForce2 Ultra Delux | [email protected] | 512MB Corsair XMS3200 | GeForce Ti4200 [email protected]/610 | 2*120GB WD SE HD
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B Black | [email protected] | 512MB Samsung PC2700 | ATi Radeon 8500 64MB | 120GB Seagate Barracuda V HD
    Total Gamer Network Network Founder

I think because if you block port 25, you receive no email :-)

Anywho, I looked around for a reasonable list of ip ranges to block everything outside of the US and Europe and there was no easy answer out there. I would do this in a second if I could.
    http://www.schooldebts.com -- Consolidate Student Loan Debt

Originally posted by bjseiler
    I think because if you block port 25, you receive no email :-)

Anywho, I looked around for a reasonable list of ip ranges to block everything outside of the US and Europe and there was no easy answer out there. I would do this in a second if I could.
    Here's a start:

http://www.okean.com/asianspamblocks.html

-Bob