Cops, Robbers, and McDonalds

I went to my neighborhood convenient store tonight, and they had just got robbed again. A 55-ish female cashier was on the phone with the police giving a description while I was checking out. I went to my car, but forgot to buy something, so went back in, and was in there 5 more minutes, and the police still hadn't shown up.

I stopped at McDonalds next, which was 3 blocks away. There were 4-5 police cars there and they were just inside talking (no problems at McD's) and eating.

I guess "food comes before crime."

A friend any myself were robbed at gun point and it took the cops 3 and a half hours to show up. Seems to be common practice. It wasn't the last time I was robbed at gun point, I didn't even bother calling the cops the second time. It seems they have better things to do some times, especially busting druggies which IMHO is a waste of time & resources.

personally id suggest they make all shops like banks, seems its the only way.

bullett proof glass between the person serving and the customer and a "chamber" where the goods are passed to the two people never come into direct contact.

Not to mention a door that closes behind them and locks automatically once they have entered.

Not a very nice way to be but it seems its probably the only way not to get robbed !
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

Sorry to hear that Beau, but glad that you are alive. I was just surprised to see all of those cops at Mickey D's... they're usually at a breakfast place or donut shop. I know people joke about it, but that is true.

Don't know why I said 3 blocks away. The McDonalds was only a block away, or 3 buildings down.

A bank in Atlanta had bullet-proof glass 20 years ago, but none here in Nashville do.

Sadly, it's all about money, xstrike. It's cheaper to hire another employee to replace the dead one, rather than spend a few hundred dollars for bullet-proof glass, etc. Employees are considered to be replaceable and lives are not valued. As long as they can find someone to work there, they will not spend the needed money for security.

I stupidly go to the supermarket at 2 AM, sometimes. Again, no security. Security guards leave at midnight. Once again, places don't want to spend the money to protect human lives.
    Last edited by chrisb; 09-23-2002 at 06:33 AM.

Dont know where your located.. Around my way if someone gets a speeding ticket, 5 cars show up...

Where I live we don't have that much of a problem with police hanging around food-places, there just isn't enough policemen to go around .
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Re: Cops, Robbers, and McDonalds

Originally posted by chrisb
    I stopped at McDonalds next, which was 3 blocks away. There were 4-5 police cars there and they were just inside talking (no problems at McD's) and eating.
    Eek! Maybe you need to buy a gun or something, in case you're robbed. Makes me think gun control's stupid.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

A few months back here in the UK a columnmist for one of the major papers was writing about something similar. He'd got up in the middile of the night to get a drink, looked out the window and saw someone going into his garden shed.
    He called the police, they say they have no one in the area and can't get to him.
    He puts the phone down then rings back 2 minutes later to tell them theres a Man down. Within a minute there were 5 police cars and a helicopter - the bugular had no idea what had hit him heh

, it's all about money, xstrike. It's
    xtstrike

my uncle had a convenient store and a jewelry store, robbed at both, cops came less than 5 minutes after the call was made...i guess it all depends on where you live and how much your taxes come out to be

I've always known that mcdonalds place was trouble.. ever since that Ronald guy in his mid 40s dressed up in a clown suit and tried to give everyone hugs. I'm sorry, but if that doesn't scream pedophile I don't know what does..
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Originally posted by chrisb

I guess "food comes before crime."
    Well, if those cops were inside eating, you can't blame them -- they get to eat in the middle of their workday just like everybody else. If they'd been called to go to the McDonald's they would have been going there, but instead someone else was handling the call. It's a coincidence that they happened to be on their meal break close to where a robbery happened, but if they'd happened to have been eating two miles away nothing would have changed; they wouldn't be called and someone else would have been.

And depending on how your city has things set up, those cops might not even be the ones who'd have responded even if they had been active... the convenience store might not have been in their sector. If it was theirs, and they were on a meal break, someone else was covering it.

Of course if there really were four or five police cars at the McDonald's, it's pretty unlikely (assuming that they were from the same department) that that many cops would be cleared for a meal at the same time. I'd guess that there probably had been some trouble at the McDonald's earlier and they hadn't gotten back on from it yet. But in any case it's very very unlikely that if they'd been called to the store they'd still be at the McDonald's. Not responding quickly to a call is usually treated very seriously, and for one reason: the stats are tracked per precinct, division, or whatever the department uses. If a cop doesn't respond quickly, his supervisor gets the heat for it... it's not something that's ignored.

So the point is, it's not "food comes before crime," but maybe your town needs more cops -- or some of the guys at the top in your local police department should be replaced for not doing a good job allocating their resources.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Re: Re: Cops, Robbers, and McDonalds

Originally posted by mind21_98

Eek! Maybe you need to buy a gun or something, in case you're robbed. Makes me think gun control's stupid.
    Uhm..Pull a gun on the Robber..Get shot dead...don't get robbed again....Makes a lot of sense Guns..!

Simon

I read in the newspaper about a guy that tried to rob a GUN store with a KNIFE. He was shot by the store owner and was called a dumbass.
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.

Originally posted by Rewdog
    I read in the newspaper about a guy that tried to rob a GUN store with a KNIFE. He was shot by the store owner and was called a dumbass.
    Which hurt the most?

Simon

Originally posted by Rewdog
    I've always known that mcdonalds place was trouble.. ever since that Ronald guy in his mid 40s dressed up in a clown suit and tried to give everyone hugs. I'm sorry, but if that doesn't scream pedophile I don't know what does..
    heh!
    -Mooneer

Re: Re: Re: Cops, Robbers, and McDonalds

Originally posted by SimonMc
    Uhm..Pull a gun on the Robber..Get shot dead...don't get robbed again....Makes a lot of sense Guns..!
    I heard about a report where burgulars said guns and dogs were the biggest deterrents. And also, the robber might not have had gun training. Just shoot first.
    -Mooneer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cops, Robbers, and McDonalds

Originally posted by mind21_98
    I heard about a report where burgulars said guns and dogs were the biggest deterrents.
    What's more likely: that a "real," working burglar would truthfully reveal how you could make his life more difficult, or that a "journalist" would write a "report" as interestingly as possible?

Most experienced burglars prefer to work when residents aren't at home. In fact, most residential burglaries happen during daylight hours, when residents are likely to be at work, neighborhoods and apartment buildings are nearly empty, and people don't even pay attention to a "delivery van" parked in a driveway (or the alley in urban areas).

Dogs, not bad, but pretty easily silenced and managed by an experienced burglar who's willing to go to the trouble. But some who do research first will skip a place with a large and loud dog. Or several.

Silent alarms: practically useless. The burglars will be gone long before there's a response. The alarm company will even call the house first to tell them they're on the way!

Audible alarms: depends in large part on where you live. If you have a lot of nosy neighbors it might be a good choice.

And while I do think that people (most people) should be allowed to have guns in their homes, I also think that they should know the facts about them: in the US, a gun kept in a private home will statistically most likely result in an injury to: 1) a resident of the home, 2) a guest in the home, and finally 3) an intruder. Only makes sense: the resident is almost always home, and guests are around pretty frequently, but most of us will never have an intruder in our homes.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

gun control is stupid ....
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Originally posted by interactive
    gun control is stupid ....
    Great argument...Well Put!

Simon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cops, Robbers, and McDonalds

Originally posted by JayC
    And while I do think that people (most people) should be allowed to have guns in their homes, I also think that they should know the facts about them: in the US, a gun kept in a private home will statistically most likely result in an injury to: 1) a resident of the home, 2) a guest in the home, and finally 3) an intruder. Only makes sense: the resident is almost always home, and guests are around pretty frequently, but most of us will never have an intruder in our homes.
    That can be mitigated if the gun is kept in a good gun safe. Then again, you'd probably be shot dead before you would be able to get the gun out. Gun training as well as keeping the gun unloaded also helps reduce the number of accidents.
    -Mooneer