launch now, or wait?

Do you think its more appropriate to launch a website and start promoting it BEFORE it is 'completely' finished? I'm still working the pages and still have atleast a couple days before it is 'complete'. Is it more appropriate to wait for thoroughness or to launch what I have right now? I've seen a couple webhosting companies w/ links like 'under construction' and such and dislike that. I believe it seems somewhat unprofessional, what are your thoughts on this?

I think you should wait, whats the rush? And it also looks bad when you have pages that say under construction, i'm not even sure why you would even consider launching before your sites done.

I'd agree, I wouldn't put the site with any "under construction" pages. If for some reason you do that, though, be sure to exclude them from search engine spiders through robots.txt or a meta robots tag.

One approach you might take is a well-designed "Coming Soon" page, using a look similar to what the site will eventually be, and giving a few "teaser" details. Especially if you're doing any offline marketing (even as basic as handing out a business card) that might be helpful.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

If you want people to take you serious, you really should have a website IMO.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    If you want people to take you serious, you really should have a website IMO.
    So are you saying that in order to be taken seriously he should put up his website before it's finished? Whether he'll have a site at all doesn't seem to be at question.

IMHO clever is WAIT

Do you think its more appropriate to launch a website and start promoting it BEFORE it is 'completely' finished?
    is what I read. I know, he asked a few questions. I just tend to agree with him when he said it appears unprofessional to launch an unfinished site. In my opinion, an "unfinished site" is not a site. I suppose we could argue the semantics of what a site is all day long. I, personally, would be hesitant to call an unfinished site a site. That would be like calling an unfinished car (the one without wheels and an engine or a front seat and steering wheel) a car. Sure, we could call it a car. But, it wouldn't function as a car, so in all practicall aspects isn't a car.

See what you did??

I'm rambling; and I can't stop.

Where is that Submit Reply button when I need it?

Oh . . . I see. It's down below where I can't see it.

There it is!

Thank goodness!

Is a site really ever finished?

Originally posted by mlip129
    Touché!
    Jeremy » jeremy@frontdrive.com
    Front Drive » Advanced multi-domain hosting solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Originally posted by mlip129
    Dang!

I knew it would come to this.

How about we say, "presentable." Maybe a site should be presentable before we proclaim it a site.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    See what you did??
    I'm just glad that you're ok. My first impulse after reading that post, answering a question that wasn't asked AND with a glaring grammatical error, was to ask "Who are you, and what have you done with the real SWR?"

At least have your main pages done, and some basic info.

If you have all the vital pages, you should launch. Just my opinion. But be sure to respond to any request you got. Once you are launched your first priority are your customers, not your "Under Construction" page(s).

Well said Zoli