Question What's A Good E-mail Cilent For IMAP

Hope I'm not getting off the beaten path here with this question, but I would be interested to know what you all use for e-mail cilents for those of you that use the IMAP Protocol.

I'm using Outlook Express right now, but it seems slow. I downloaded Pegasus, but it seems like more of a hassle to get it to work well with IMAP.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks

If your using a cpanel host a few people have reported similar problems .
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Originally posted by Myacen
    If your using a cpanel host a few people have reported similar problems .

Yep....just wait a little while till they fix the problem....then you'll see that outlook is at the top of the list

Pegasus works best with POP3.

For IMAP, use Netscape mail...can't fault it...
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Mulberry has the best implementation of an IMAP client.
    This space for let.
    Inquire within.

Originally posted by Mike the newbie
    Mulberry has the best implementation of an IMAP client.
    Totally agree!!
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Re: What's A Good E-mail Cilent For IMAP

Originally posted by studiok
    Hope I'm not getting off the beaten path here with this question, but I would be interested to know what you all use for e-mail cilents for those of you that use the IMAP Protocol.

I'm using Outlook Express right now, but it seems slow. I downloaded Pegasus, but it seems like more of a hassle to get it to work well with IMAP.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    If you have webspace on the server have you considered Squirrelmail?

To fix the problem with slow IMAP have your host edit the /etc/xinetd.d/cpimap file and comment out the following lines:

log_on_success += USERID
    log_on_failure += USERID

Richard
    Enigma Hosting
    "I wasn't speeding, I was qualifying!"

I've found Outlook & OE to both be subpar IMAP clients. Their main problem is that neither supports using a trash mailbox w/ IMAP accounts. Outlook Express also often reports that you have new mail when you don't. Neither of them automatically check if you've added/renamed/moved/removed any mailboxes, which, while I was still setting up all of my IMAP accounts, was very annoying. Oh, and the full Outlook is pretty bloated, though that's not a specifically IMAP problem.

I've found it depends on lot on if you use a single IMAP account or multiple ones. Pegasus was great right up until I added my other accounts It doesn't have any way of tying mail accounts & outgoing addresses together, so all replies would automatically come from the default account. Outgoing addresses are tied to identities, so if you want to change a setting you have to change it for each outgoing address you use. It also saved all sent messages in one local mailbox by default. It has an option for specifying what mailbox to save sent messages in in each account, but if two of the mailboxes have the same name it will get them confused (even if they're on two different IMAP accounts). I did manage to get around that using filters, though. It also doesn't have SSL support (for IMAP or POP). Oh, and you can't specify what identity to send outgoing mail as from the composition window itself, you must be using that identity when you create the message.

I don't have any major complaints about Mulberry, I'm just too cheap to buy a mail client (I tried to demo.) One minor complaint is that it doesn't automatically set the account a message is sent from based on what mailbox you're currently viewing.
    Edit: Mulberry actually can do that, my mistake.

Mahogany is a nice idea, but I don't think it was implemented very well. I don't want to get into it too much, but using even a single IMAP account with it the way most people use IMAP is a huge hassle.

Lately I've been using Mozilla. It's as big as outlook, largely because it's like several applications in one. There is a project to seperate the mail client from the rest of it, but nothing's been released from it yet. On the other hand, it has great support for multiple accounts, which as you know by now is important for me. It supports using a trash dir, automatically checks for new/renamed/moved/removed remote mailboxes, supports tying accounts & outgoing servers together, and gives each account its own outgoing identity. Oh, and it has themes, so it can actually look pretty nice

Mozilla has its share of problems too of course. It marks messages as replied when you do so, but doesn't show it. In the message reader & main window (w/ the preview pane) there aren't any up/down buttons, just a next unread button. If you view messages in their own windows instead of using the preview pane, it doesn't close those windows when you hit reply/forward. You may prefer it that way, however. The mail prefs dialog will sometimes have problems when you set certain settings (because you're changing those settings, not what you're changing them to). Just fiddle with it a bit and you'll get everything setup. And it's biggest problem is...no spell checker!

Most of you probably know this, but the new Netscape's (6/7+) are all based on Mozilla. They basically take whatever's the newest "stable" Mozilla release at the time & add on some specifically Netscape features. Because of that the current Netscape release will often be based on a somewhat old Mozilla. Unless you plan on using any of the Netscape-only features, you should probably stick with Mozilla. If you do decide to try Mozilla, at the time of posting 1.1 is the version to get. In my experience it's been as stable as 1.0.1 & has some new features & fixes. I tried the new 1.2a (alpha) released, but let's just say they didn't call it an alpha for nothing If you decide to check out Netscape just get the latest one.
    Last edited by no1v2; 09-25-2002 at 12:06 PM.

Originally posted by no1v2
    ...I don't have any major complaints about Mulberry, I'm just too cheap to buy a mail client (I tried to demo.) One minor complaint is that it doesn't automatically set the account a message is sent from based on what mailbox you're currently viewing....

Mulberry can do that.

There is a configuration option for each account to "tie" an identity to each mailbox.
    This space for let.
    Inquire within.

Originally posted by Mike the newbie
    Mulberry can do that.

There is a configuration option for each account to "tie" an identity to each mailbox.
    I know, I never said it couldn't

Btw, I forgot to mention that there are plans for a spell checker in Mozilla in the not too distant future.

Originally posted by no1v2
    I know, I never said it couldn't

Hmmm... you said this:
    I don't have any major complaints about Mulberry, I'm just too cheap to buy a mail client (I tried to demo.) One minor complaint is that it doesn't automatically set the account a message is sent from based on what mailbox you're currently viewing.

Maybe I misunderstood your comment. But Mulberry can automatically set the account a message is sent from based on what mailbox you are currently viewing. The config option is on the File>Preferences>Accounts>Extras tab.
    This space for let.
    Inquire within.

The only option there is for tying incoming & outgoing accounts together....

Sorry, maybe I wasn't specific enough before: If I'm currently viewing, say, the inbox of incoming account Acctwo and account Accone is the default account, when I hit Draft to compose a message the message is set to be sent as Accone.

The option actually ties an incoming account (a.k.a mailbox) to an outgoing indentity.

In your example, go to the Preferences>Identities tab and set up an identity for for Acctwo. Don't forget to check the box to tie identities to new drafts.

Then go to the Preferences>Accounts tab and select Acctwo as the current account. The go to the extras tab and check the box Tie To Identity, and select the Acctwo identity.

That does exactly what you need. I use Mulberry with two different accounts, and the identity switches depending upon which mailbox I am viewing.

Mulberry has a lot of configuration flexibility (understatement), sometimes the flexibility makes it a little more difficult to convince Mulberry to do what you want it to do, or to find the right config option. Fortunately, there is a method to the layout of the options...

(by the way, I am using Mulberry version 3.x beta for Windows)
    This space for let.
    Inquire within.

Lol, I know what you just explained. I did finally find the option I've been looking for, I think it didn't "jump out" at me because it refers to drafts, and I'm not used to the write new mail button being named Draft