I have been out of the loop in terms of VPS packages for some time so I was wondering if someone could recommend some VPS host(s)?
    I am looking for cost savings but definitely don't want the cheapest with the worst network/service ... have learned from that before.
    Will continue my search now, suggestions to point me in the right direction welcome!

I recommend KnownHost or WiredTree. Both are great VPS hosting providers!

If you're looking for fully managed hosting with live chat, phone support available 24/7 then I suggest bodhost

MinaHost Guest
    Are you looking for a managed or unmanaged solution?

Are you looking for a managed or unmanaged solution?
    In terms of "managed", what does that even entail?
    I'm not a server admin but I have knowledge to setup and run stuff, etc...

Managed means if you have any problems or need help with anything you can ask and they will assist you and help you solve any of your problems.

MinaHost Guest
    and your budget?

If you're looking for unmanaged, give fsckvps.com, (completely) unmanaged but pretty great service. Have yet to have downtime with them based on a VPS a client of mine has there. For managed try KnownHost and Krypt (now that they've got their VMWare issues figured out).

I recommend KnownHost or WiredTree. Both are great VPS hosting providers!
    Just as Sean said, I would go with either KnownHost or WiredTree.

We'll then an unmanaged provider should in theory be fine for you as long as you are confutable with working in in the ssh window
    The offers section is a great place to start searching for VPS servers as well as "Find a Host". Both should yield plenty results.
    For a managed VPS provider, I recommend Liquidweb. A bit pricy, however if you need to have it managed, they will be perfect.