Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ADDR - Considering Legal Action

I'm curious here as a certain company (ADDR!!) has pissed me off beyond belief and caused me numerous serious inconveniences.

Because of this I made use of the 30 day unconditional guarentee. I e-mailed them on approximately day 26 and said please terminate the account before the end of the 30 day period and refund me in full / stop payment. I got a response saying "We have stopped billing on your account, and therefore you should expect no further charges from Addr.com to appear. Please note that we have not yet processed a charge on your credit card for your prior yearly fee." Now about 15-16 days later they E-mail me to tell me that I owe them $108.

This company makes me sooooooooo MAD!!

REASONS:
    1. They failed to complete my domain name registration, saying I needed to pay $35 after their website claimed "No set up fee!".
    2. They took ages to respond regarding the domain registraton.
    3. They can open your account in seconds and have your access
    to the server set up just as fast. But forget anything else happening fast.
    4. Support will respond but rarely with the answer you want, sometimes having completely mis-understood the question (that will explain the INDIAN name on the signature) and I have sent several emails to Billing and never recieved a response in less than 10 days.
    5. I asked if I could sign up by credit card and was told yes, as I cannot send a check as I live overseas. The buggers have since sent me 4 e-mails requesting a check, one of them was AFTER cancellation having followed the instructions given by tech support.

This company has almost cost me a great contact within General Motors USA and also the local Harley Davidson dealer. Fortunately both seem to be quite understanding...

However this company still wants to charge me for screwing up my life for a month. Literally everything they promised, they have not provided. When I actually E-mailed them for verification that they could do something, and they said yes, they wouldn't do it.

They have so far failed to provide everything they claimed on the homepage of their website.

I want to know, what legal actions can I take against them and what are the grounds for suiing on emotional distress? I really am LIVID with them.

I have tried numerous times to resolve this rationally, yet this has gone too far and I am beginning to think that there MUST be some sort of legal process or investigative body that can be used against ADDR.

I have all the E-mails from them archived.

(Yes I know I'm a newbie, I just never felt the need to register here before. After being burned by ADDR, I read a few similar experiences on here and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what the hell I can do to get things straightened out here.)

Congratulations you will have your nick changed!
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

This is a problem?

Sorry - I didn't know... I know there is a member here with the ID addrsucks as it was taken, so I simply abbrev. it to sux.

I don't feel that the word sux is vulgar in any way, and sorry but if they want to treat me like crap I will not be shy to make that known.

I actually told them at the beginning of them starting to drive me mad, that I like to give honest feedback. In the past I highly recommended them and they used to be great.

Now, they well and truly SUCK.

If the Mods here want to change my name to "ADDR_is_really_bad" that's fine, but could someone please advise on what I can do r.e. legal action?

Perhaps, you should talk to a lawyer directly for better advice.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Sorry, but I can't see where ADDR offer a free domain with their plans
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Originally posted by net-trend
    lawyers

brrr :: full body shiver ::

however, our lawyers are alright. they always kid around about other lawyers (its so funny).

;-) I hope you get this resolved man.. Let us know the developments

Originally posted by net-trend
    Hardly worth it for $108.00 or even more. If they've charged you when they shouldn't have, contact your credit card company and initiate a chargeback against them.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Hello

Just don't pay them.
    Then if you pursue you for the money issue a counter claim for all the inconvenience.

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Originally posted by A_____X
    This is a problem?
    We ask that you use the forum to post your experience rather than choosing usernames that are anti-host (thissucks, thatsucks, etc.) In other words, let your posts do the talking, not your username. If you'd like something else thn what I changed it to, you may request a namechange via email: moderators@webhostingtalk.com (please include your current username).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

This isn't just about the $108.

It's the way they are attempting to run a business and so far appear to get away with it.

I have a friend who has a site hosted with ADDR and they too are having similar problems. I've also heard lots of bad things here and wish I'd found this place before signing up.

Surely there is some governing body that controls this? Any investigative group or anything?

Also I have a friend who's wife is a lawyer, I'll run the idea by him next time I speak to him...

Originally posted by Gecko-MM
    Surely there is some governing body that controls this? Any investigative group or anything?
    You could try http://bbb.org if they are registered, but it's better to just find a lawyer you could talk to and ask questions.

4. Support will respond but rarely with the answer you want, sometimes having completely mis-understood the question (that will explain the INDIAN name on the signature) and I have sent several emails to Billing and never recieved a response in less than 10 days
    What exactly are you implying by this??

It's the way they are attempting to run a business and so far appear to get away with it.
    That is actually none of your business.

Your case against them is only concerned with the money you have paid them and the services they have provided you with under the contract.

Get your money back, or don't pay them, and move on.

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Originally posted by akash
    What exactly are you implying by this??
    That their decision to replace their capable technical support staff which I dealt with a year or so ago with indian cheap labour (do a search on here, you'll find it) was not a great idea, based on their basic lack of comprehension of the english language and inability to perform the job they have to to a satisfactory level.

Not saying all indians are dumb, just the ones working for ADDR that I've dealt with.

If you think Indians and other underqualified TCN's are not used in cheap labour then you need to wake up I'm afraid...

Gordon, so you're saying that there is essentially no Trading Standards Watch Dog or anything when it comes to webhosts?

That sucks

Not saying all indians are dumb, just the ones working for ADDR that I've dealt with.

thanks for clarifying

1. They failed to complete my domain name registration, saying I needed to pay $35 after their website claimed "No set up fee!.”
    It seems that a setup would apply to simply ordering and configuring the domain. I don’t think it implies that it covers the cost of the domain. However, if they failed to complete the registration – you should not have to pay a cent.

2. They took ages to respond regarding the domain registraton.
    No excuse for lack of support. Their support teams are obviously not composed of highly motivated and enthusiastic people.

3. They can open your account in seconds and have your access to the server set up just as fast. But forget anything else happening fast.
    Of course, new customers will be setup right away. These are the people they want to impress.

4. Support will respond but rarely with the answer you want, sometimes having completely mis-understood the question (that will explain the INDIAN name on the signature) and I have sent several emails to Billing and never recieved a response in less than 10 days.
    Just because they are Indian does not mean their response is unqualified. However, it does seem that they should hire workers with a better grasp of the language they are marketing to. When there is no money involved your priority level immediately drops – this would undoubtedly explain their lack of response.

5. I asked if I could sign up by credit card and was told yes, as I cannot send a check as I live overseas. The buggers have since sent me 4 e-mails requesting a check, one of them was AFTER cancellation having followed the instructions given by tech support.
    It seems that with big companies it is hard to accomplish things. Perhaps when you call you should request to be transferred to a senior tech or a supervisor.

As far as some type of legal action, I don’t think the amount of money involved is worth it. Just tell your credit card company that the ADDR charge is unauthorized.
    eMegaWeb.com - Everything you need to build your web site

I'm sorry, maybe I'm not reading this right

You come in here with a libelous username and making racist comments, and it seems that your biggest problem is that you wanted a domain name for free (when it was never offered for free)?

And YOU want to sue THEM?

No I don't think you are reading it right.

The Username was because I was extremely pissed off at them, and I didn't know that was off-limits here, as I'd seen other members with similar usernames.

Racist comments? Come on WAKE UP to the real world. I live in the Middle East and it is full of cheap labour that just floods in accross the border from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and SriLanka and the Phillipines. India and Pakistan being the main groups. They do not do their jobs to an amazing standard to say the least, but then you and I wouldn't be able to eat off the wages they get paid.

It therefore does not surprise me that ADDR has resorted to using cheap labour tech support, at the expense of the quality of their services. And anyway this is widely known, a few ex-ADDR staff are on here and have said this...

The issue is not that they didn't give me the domain name, it is that damn near everything they promised on their home page, they have failed to provide, and so far this appears to include the guarantee.

And also that they have attempted to bill me FOUR TIMES for this pleasure...

No I don't think you are reading it right.
    Racist comments? Come on WAKE UP to the real world. I live in the Middle East and it is full of cheap labour that just floods in accross the border from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and SriLanka and the Phillipines. India and Pakistan being the main groups. They do not do their jobs to an amazing standard to say the least, but then you and I wouldn't be able to eat off the wages they get paid.

It therefore does not surprise me that ADDR has resorted to using cheap labour tech support, at the expense of the quality of their services. And anyway this is widely known, a few ex-ADDR staff are on here and have said this...
    Just because someone who didn't answer you well happened to have an Indian-sounding name doesn't give you the right to make those rascist remarks of yours. You don't even know for sure if the person really is Indian do you?

I go to university in the Middle East and I know for a fact that the buildings and half the roadworks you see would not be here if it weren't for the "cheap labour" you talk about and hate so much.
    Last edited by Xandra; 09-22-2002 at 03:33 PM.

Lighten up... just because I said some of these indians were dumb, don't assume that I mean ALL of them are dumb...

I'm at an international school and I know some incredibly bright indian kids, one of whom got 1550 on the SAT.

Yes I do know that they are indian. They took applications from india.addr.com - look it up on the net and you'll find out about it...

I'm just saying that if they want to hire indians to do the job that's fine, but for god's sake hire an indian that can do the job to a satisfactory level, as the ones I've dealt with so far cannot.

And I can tell you for a fact that the buildings and roadworks wouldn't be here without WESTERN influence to show them how it's done. When the first concrete building cast was removed here, the locals all took several steps back in fear that the heavy liquid would flood out towards them.

I'm not racist, I just hate idiots.

It's besides the point anyway...

I'll give bbb.org a try... anything else?

And I can tell you for a fact that the buildings and roadworks wouldn't be here without WESTERN influence to show them how it's done. When the first concrete building cast was removed here, the locals all took several steps back in fear that the heavy liquid would flood out towards them.
    Are you sure you live here? Because the locals are Arabs and we were talking about Indians. And I do believe the western influence is an egoistical western joke. They found oil, yes, but didn't show anybody anything else.

http://www.findlaw.com <--------Might want to look there

Originally posted by Xandra

Are you sure you live here? Because the locals are Arabs and we were talking about Indians. And I do believe the western influence is an egoistical western joke. They found oil, yes, but didn't show anybody anything else.

http://www.findlaw.com <--------Might want to look there
    Yes I am sure I live here - I have done for the past 4 years, have friends who have been here for 21 years so far

Maybe, just maybe, we don't live in the same COUNTRY, and things may be different where you are...

But it doesn't frikkin matter... it's OT

You certainly thought it mattered when you posted this topic

You're the one who brought it up.

(EDIT) Oops, sniped by Xandra.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast