Nameservers and IPs

Say you have two resellers that want their own private DNS servers (ns1/ns2.theirdomain.com). Can both of their DNS IPs be the same (so ns1 for both hosts has one ip, ns2 for both hosts has one ip, etc)

Thanks in advance

James

Don't you need a dedicated IP for nameservers to work?

It would only work if they shared the host name associated with the name servers. As far as I know there is no way to have ns1.somedomain.com on IP# 11.111.1.1111 and ns1.someOTHERdomain.com on IP# 11.111.1.1111

One host per number.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to clear that up.

James

We use the main account IP as the NS1 IP, and a different (dedicated) IP for the NS2 IP - you have to do it this way if you want it to be compatible with more registrars. Even then you might have some problems; some registrars require the IPs to be in different subnets.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Hmmm

I understand that ns servers need to have different IPs. That makes sense.

Here is my scenario

There are two resellers on the server: joe.com and bob.com. Both have nameservers on the server, ns1 and ns2 of their respective domains.

So...

ns1.bob.com is assigned 10.0.0.1
    ns2.bob.com is assigned 10.0.0.2

can...

ns1.joe.com be assigned 10.0.0.1
    ns2.joe.com be assigned 10.0.0.2

also? or must Joe's nameservers have other IPs? I thought that BIND just resolved domains on an IP, and so if you routed the nameservers to those IPs, you could have as many domains as you wanted pointing to the IP. I may be wrong.

James

Joe's nameservers need other IPs.

Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

I pretty sure you can point as many nameservers at the IP as you want. When I used to have a reseller account with a certain host the common practice of the ressellers was just to add the custom nameservers at your register and point them to the hosts DNS. Hope that made senses.

Agh!

Well... maybe I'll just go try it and see.

James

Try it out. At one point I had ns1.acornhosting.net and ns1.acornhosting.com pointed at the same IP. *Dotster* didn't care. It's possible some other registrar *might* be checking, i guess, but I don't see the point?

I can't see any reason why a registrar would care how your run your own DNS servers. And I can't for sure see why BIND would care...

I just tried it. We'll see how it goes/went in a few days.

James

I used to think like you guys but actually I can setup two nameservers using one IP (for example dns1.networksdata.com and ns1.resellercentre.com are using the same IP 209.51.132.2, use verisign-grs.com's dns lookup if you want to validate) and they work fine, no problem at all. Most registrars don't register nameserver for you if you use an IP of a registered nameserver because the IP has been reserved for the registered nameserver already. But if you have an Enom's account, you can use any IP for nameserver, that's what I did with ns1.resellercentre.com.
    AceWebHosting.Com
    Cheap Web Hosting - Multiple Domain Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Virtual Private Server

Actually BIND doesn't care, it can listen to any IPs on your server even they are not setup to be nameservers' IPs (I'm sure because I already tried) but registrars would care because it's always said that nameserver's IP must be unique (it isn't true, is it?)
    AceWebHosting.Com
    Cheap Web Hosting - Multiple Domain Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Virtual Private Server

In theory... the nameserver does have a unique IP, because all of the "nameserver addresses (ns1.xxx.com)" are just "aliases" that point to the IP... But I am starting to understand this much more now. Thanks.

James

Originally posted by voxtreme-matt
    We use the main account IP as the NS1 IP, and a different (dedicated) IP for the NS2 IP - you have to do it this way if you want it to be compatible with more registrars. Even then you might have some problems; some registrars require the IPs to be in different subnets.
    What registrars require it?

Originally posted by NetworksData
    . . . . . . if you have an Enom's account, you can use any IP for nameserver. . . . . .
    Don't know why; but I'm going to burn this into my memory bank for future reference.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

You can have any number of nameserver addresses point to the one IP.

I.E.

NS1.JOEBLOGGS.COM>
    NS1.BEETLEBITE.COM>
    NS1.UGETALIFEA.COM>ALL POINT TO THIS IP: 111.111.111.111
    NS1.YOURPLACE.COM>
    NS1.THEREALDO.COM>

TRY AND SEE IT WORKS AND IF YOU ARE CLEVER YOU CAN CHARGE YOUR CUSTOMERS FOR THIS AMAZING FEATURE. BUT NOT ALL REGISTRARS WILL ALLOW! ONLY THOSE IN THE KNOW, YOU MIGHT SAY

Originally posted by NAMES
    IT WORKS AND IF YOU ARE CLEVER YOU CAN CHARGE YOUR CUSTOMERS FOR THIS AMAZING FEATURE
    No, no. While you can use one IP for all secondary nameservers, the IP for primary nameserver should be unique.
    AceWebHosting.Com

Should be...Or Must be?
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

Originally posted by dreamHOBO
    Should be...Or Must be?
    Should be. For example if you have domain.com and domain.net then you can use 1 IP for both primary nameservers, no need to use two IPs.
    Last edited by LinuXpert; 09-22-2002 at 03:17 AM.
    AceWebHosting.Com

Perhaps I should clarify my statement further. If you are say, a reseller that uses WHM/CPanel and you have two nameservers NS1.YOURDOMAIN.COM 111.222.333.444
    NS2.YOURDOMAIN.COM 111.222.333.445

You then set up an account for me and I would like 'personal' nameservers. All you do is tell me to register the nameservers for my domain MYDOMAIN.COM using the IP address's for each nameserver that I am given. (These being the same as your domain YOURDOMAIN.COM) I register the nameservers at my register using the info below.

NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM 111.222.333.444
    NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM 111.222.333.445

You then go into your WHM and change the DNS record for my domain to show my nameservers.

All that is being done is to ALIAS the nameservers. The IP's remain the same. I am happy (the customer) you charge me $20 to do this, it works with NO problem and every one is happy. Do it. Do all the dns chechups etc. you may want to using all the digs.whois etc etc. it works. VOILA!

Originally posted by NAMES
    Perhaps I should clarify my statement further. If you are say, a reseller that uses WHM/CPanel and you have two nameservers NS1.YOURDOMAIN.COM 111.222.333.444
    NS2.YOURDOMAIN.COM 111.222.333.445

You then set up an account for me and I would like 'personal' nameservers. All you do is tell me to register the nameservers for my domain MYDOMAIN.COM using the IP address's for each nameserver that I am given. (These being the same as your domain YOURDOMAIN.COM) I register the nameservers at my register using the info below.

NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM 111.222.333.444
    NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM 111.222.333.445

You then go into your WHM and change the DNS record for my domain to show my nameservers.

All that is being done is to ALIAS the nameservers. The IP's remain the same. I am happy (the customer) you charge me $20 to do this, it works with NO problem and every one is happy. Do it. Do all the dns chechups etc. you may want to using all the digs.whois etc etc. it works. VOILA!
    But you must be sure that the registrar of YOURDOMAIN.COM will accept those two IPs. Most of them won't.
    AceWebHosting.Com

There was a new rule governing this feature some time ago. Most registrars now permit this without a problem. If someone is using a registrar that does not, perhaps they should transfer to one that does. That is to say, if they would like to take advantage of this feature.

Just to let You guys know that Enom for sure allows You to set up multiple DNS servers on one IP address.

I tested it, I even have had more than 3 DNS servers on one IP address...

This works just fine,

We have tested it on following registrars

***********.com
    Netsol - Yes some clients still use them
    dotregistrar.com
    Enom.com
    Onlinenic.com

Not only are these just registered for test purpose there are hundreds of domains being server by name servers created in such manner

i think this should work at all places now

This is really a very good step towards conservation of IPS .

Regards,