1GB DDR RAM
    SCSI RAID Controller Drive
    18GB SCSI Drive
    18GB SCSI Drive
    18GB SCSI Drive
    AIT 2 50gig Tape Drive
    30GB (30GB incld.) Burstable Bandwidth

What are they thinking?
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

I like their prices, they're realistic.
    They've got very good support, and quality facilities, need to make money you know.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

note that they offer managed servers (that means they help you a lot)

EDITED

actually forget what I was saying... doesn't make sense anymore

Originally posted by Fazel3
    The three hard drives sound like a good idea. Maybe a backup of the system to the second hard drive in case of emergencies and letting the third harddrive be a mirror of the first one in a cleaned, just installed state...

actually multiple hard drives are needed for raid support

Yeah I know that's why I edited the post, I'm in a daze, just realized that I'm a WHT Addict! (LOOK AT MY POST COUNT EVERYONE!)

Some people, especially companies are willing to spend money for the finest quality of service… not to mention reliability, speed, etc. And the servers are managed, bandwidth is premium.

You would be suprised how many people will signup for that

Yes, but is all that really worth 1350 bucks a month? Im sure i could do without the support and managment. The first month alone would cover the server cost. I think there is even a setup fee(no 100% sure on that).
    Last edited by dbbrock1; 09-20-2002 at 10:25 PM.

then obviously it's an unmanaged solution at Rackshack for you

dbbrock1,

What about:

profits
    bills
    payments to staff
    office space
    etc

Originally posted by dbbrock1
    Yes, but is all that really work 1350 bucks a month? Im sure i could do without the support and managment. The first month alone would cover the server cost. I think there is even a setup fee(no 100% sure on that).
    Yes, I think it is worth it.

from the Rackspace website

Managed Hosting with Fanatical Support
    If you could do without the support and management, go with a different RS

With rackspace's reputation and the fact that they do deliver that level of service, $1350 is not expensive at all.

Imagine if you are running a site on a server that generates millions of dollars per month, would you care that the server costs $1350? (and furthermore, would you want to go to a second-rate provider to save $300, but increases the risk of service interrupt, considering how much you make on the site each month?)

Peter

Yes, but is all that really work 1350 bucks a month? Im sure i could do without the support and managment. The first month alone would cover the server cost. I think there is even a setup fee(no 100% sure on that).
    If you can get me a server like that with top quailty components like Rackspace uses I will take 2..

*goes off to search for OKI*

Would I get a commission?

<----------- OMG OGM!!11!!1!1 100 POSTS EVERYONE!

Getting the hardware isn't the hard part; the hard part is getting Rackspace's level of support, network quality, and experience.

Peter

Originally posted by ckpeter
    Getting the hardware isn't the hard part; the hard part is getting Rackspace's level of support, network quality, and experience.
    Exactly, and if anyone thinks these things come cheap then they have yet to experience what true support, network quality, and experience is actually like and certainly have never paid for it themselves.
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

Also, I'm pretty sure if you got into contact with a RackSpace sales rep, they will get you a better deal than the web quote produces.
    Justin Bachus
    BlastHosting, LLC - Professional web hosting at a low price with
    PHP, MySQL, FreeBSD, and more!
    http://www.blasthosting.com

The price is fine for what they do. However, I find it distasteful to say the least that more bandwidth isn't included with the better machines.

They know what they are doing though and I don't think it's right to call them a ripoff. They are well respected for a reason.

Yes it's one thing if you don't like their prices- in turn calling them a ripoff is very unfair. It's not like Rackspace is some company you found by throwing a dart at.

I wasn't calling them a rip off. Well i kinda was but, it was more of a question than an accusation.

Greetings:

"wasn't calling them a rip off. Well i kinda was but, it was more of a question than an accusation."

More education would remove such questions ;-)

The hardware is RAID-5 (circumstantial on the number of drives, nto that it was mentioned). RAID-5 adds more of an investment (not just because of the additional hard drive).

They don't use outsourced support for their main offerings; though they do partner with managed service providers for extended offerings.

They have true 24x7x365 support; and the data center is world class.

The pricing and offering is valid if you understand the value of what they are offering. If you don't understand the value, then... that's not their fault... more eductation is needed in the market place as to what value comes from where.

There is an old saying of you get what you pay for. There is a dramatic difference between companies offering $99 per month servers and companies like rackspace.com.

So much a difference is it like comparing the military strenght of the United States compared to a newly (today) formed country of 12 people from among the most uneducated countries in the world, and they don't have any military training.

That difference is immeasurable; and only realized when it counts the most.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

As someone has already mentioned, site that require the best uptime and support at the weirdest of times will obviously not mind paying Rackspace prices. When you need something badly and you don't want anything to go wrong, you're bound to pay anything. Anything that's reasonably below your profit margins of course.

We've been using Rackspace for about 14 months now and found it to be the best experience so far with any hosting company. The reason? They provide managed hosting with fanatical support. If you've got a problem, just call them and they'll get it sorted. That's something that you can't do with the other companies that don't provide managed services and some that don't even provide support.

It's not just the support or the managed hosting services that they provide, it's also the reliability of their network, they provide a 99.999% uptime SLA, but they've had 100% uptime over the past 12+ months. They've got a solid business model that works, businesses are seeing that hosting with Rackspace saves them time in the long run. They don't have to deal with complaints of downtimes, software upgrades, security of server etc. They just run their business while Rackspace are left to ensure that their server is up all the time.

So there's no point saying that Rackspace are expensive, this happens in any market. You get low priced companies and then you always get higher priced ones. You get what you pay for.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

I guess if you owned a multi million dollar company, than rackspace would be a good choice.

I guess if you owned a multi million dollar company, than rackspace would be a good choice.
    Not only muti-million dollar companies will use Rackspace. Businesses that care about their online presence with also use them. If you run a business and your website has pricing info or details of your products/service but it was down, then what would you customers think of your company? I hope you get my point.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Yes, im getting the point