Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello,
    I know that Yahoo has Small Business hosting service. How about Google or MSN/Hotmail/W Live? Do they have similar services?
    Unfortunately, my client insisting on hosting with on of the above companies as he heard that Yahoo offer unlimited space for email and their private email xyz.my-client-website.com emails can be accessed through yahoo interface.

You may want to insist that your client gets hosting from a better provider. I've done some webmaster work and I head to deal with Yahoo and their support is horrendous in my experiences.
    I've not tried Google or MSN (if they offer it) so I can't say much about it other than that Hosting is not their primary target/goal/industry so likely they aren't going to offer excellent support like you could get with many other providers.
    If your client insists upon Yahoo/Google/MSN then have them pick the plan and sign up for it, and when the issues arise that cannot be resolved you can persuade them to move to a more reliable provider.

RJH Enterprises Guest
    If your client insists upon Yahoo/Google/MSN then have them pick the plan and sign up for it, and when the issues arise that cannot be resolved you can persuade them to move to a more reliable provider.
    Could not agree more. You will be asking for a lifetime of trouble with Yahoo, been there done that!
    Why not point your client to WHT? I'm sure they will see sense!

Yahoo, Google and MSN have search engine as core services. Web hosting is their add on one and they I'm sure do not pay enough attention to it.
    Mike id right do search for the better host and avoid unlimited offers
    Good luck

I don't think Google already offer hosting services or am i wrong ?

FS - Mike Guest
    Google do offer hosting services, but I think it's only a site builder and not actually a hosting service although I may be wrong.

Google only provides email hosting - they do have webhosting type functions built into Google Apps, but that's via their sitebuilder, and the email is really the "bread and butter" function of Google's offering.

oozypal,
    A similar opinion as may others have. Try to make your clients understand that they are not specialized hosting providers. There is always better places to host their sites because there are so many reliable and reputed hosting providers. Guide them to WHT and let them explore this forum. I am almost sure that they will change their decision. If not as Michael said let them try and learn. Finally tell them unlimited resources are only a dream.

Like the others said Yahoo is not very good.

So have you taken the information you've gleaned from here back to your client? If so, what did they have to say (out of sheer curiosity)?

So have you taken the information you've gleaned from here back to your client? If so, what did they have to say (out of sheer curiosity)?
    I am curious too in this special situation. So I would like to have updates regarding this matter.

Not many people know,Google Has an official Registrars licence.They are a registered Domain name Registrar,but they don't seem to be interested.

Avoid a search engine hosting your websites and avoid unlimited offers and you will be a happier person

Finally tell them unlimited resources are only a dream.
    Can you elaborate further about the above statement as he already said "my friend is hosted with Yahoo and there is no limit for his emails and never needs to delete emails".
    What is the catch behind the Unlimited Resource offer?

I would recommend staying away from Microsoft (Officelive) for your hosting. The overall hosting is good, they were giving free domains away. But, I like that the support actually gets back to you unlike Google. They also use Melbourne IT for domains with is a pain to talk to since they're in Australia.

Can you elaborate further about the above statement as he already said "my friend is hosted with Yahoo and there is no limit for his emails and never needs to delete emails".
    Unlimited hosting doesn't exist. It's a marketing gimmick used by the big guys. There is a limit to how much disp space and bandwidth your friend can use. An example of this is you can't use their hosting for storing files and emails.

I am curious too in this special situation. So I would like to have updates regarding this matter.
    I should have a meeting with him Mon-Wed.
    I will let you know the outcome of the meeting.

RJH Enterprises Guest
    There is no such thing as unlimited - every computer/server etc etc has a physical disk limited. Just think of your hard drive on the computer you are using now!
    Granted some companies such as Yahoo will have massive resources therefore the average user is unlikely to reach them - however they may well find themselves breaching an AUP with CPU usage which is another cap not clearly defined.
    edit
    beaten to it

kerber Guest
    I use Google APPS for my mail hosting , easy and can be accessed from any place. But I'm not sure that I'll ever move my sites to g hosting.

HostFX-UK Guest
    People should not get hosting with these kind of company's as they do not specialize in web hosting. You want to be with a company that specializes in web hosting to ensure you and your customers get great support, servers and uptime - These are very important and the above company's can not guarantee this.

*Still waiting to hear the outcome of what your client has decided*
    /subscribes

Finally, I convinced my client to pay for a 1/2 server. I rented a server and shared it with him. He will pay half of the price (with my handling charge) and I will pay for the second half. I will then slice the second half (WHM) and sell it to other clients.
    What do you guys think.

Finally, I convinced my client to pay for a 1/2 server. I rented a server and shared it with him. He will pay half of the price (with my handling charge) and I will pay for the second half. I will then slice the second half (WHM) and sell it to other clients.
    What do you guys think.
    That is great but "slicing" the server? I think your client would have been better off to get a VPS server probably. Then he could have virtually had his own server at a much cheaper price then a dedicated server.

Not many people know,Google Has an official Registrars licence.They are a registered Domain name Registrar,but they don't seem to be interested.
    They mainly have that for greater access to whois info, is what I understand.

Asyati Guest
    Hello,
    You can host in "normal" hosting company and let gmail
    take care of the email of the domain (free or charge).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast