Problem with Gallery...

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with the installation of Gallery ( My host has recently 'upgraded' the server and thus runs PHP in Safe mode.
    How can I get around this??
    Looking on Gallery's site, it instructs to run PHP as a CGI, something I'm not familliar with...

I've tried to download the source PHP and compile it on the server put it says "can't guess hostname" or something like that...

Help me out please.

try out the gallery forum. they are very helpful. (I'm a gallery user too)

You could talk to your host and ask them to disable safe mode for your domain. Tell them it's for gallery.

Otherwise find a host that supports gallery and move there.

My host (tera-byte) won't disable safe mode.
    Help me out please...

Tacoma, Washington
    not to sound to twee, but it sounds like it's change scripts or change hosts. Safe Mode does affect quite a few scripts but there's bound to be something out there that will run within it. Conversely, there's plenty of hosts out there that run with safe mode off, so your options are quite open either way.

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

It has been awhile since I set up Gallery, but IIRC, there is a workaround for safe mode. Unfortunately, I cannot remember if it was done in an .htaccess file, or in the script. You should be able to get the right answer on the Gallery forums, as suggested above.
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

You might be able to get your host to turn off safe mode if you even tell them what to do... add the line
    php_admin_value safe_mode 0
    to your virtual host in httpd.conf.

I'm not sure about turning off safe mode with .htaccess, you can give it a shot though!
    Jordan Bouvier

thanks the tips guys!