godaddy Unlisted domains $6.00 per year

I just received this email from godaddy:

Dear Go Daddy Visitor,

There's danger out on the Internet. You've heard the horror stories – maybe even experienced one yourself.

Simple nuisance spam – where all the spammer has is your email address – is one thing. You can just ignore it.

But what if a spammer also has your name, address and phone number? That could lead to identity theft, stalking, invasion of privacy... even worse.

Believe me: The bad guys are out there looking for you, with sophisticated spy ware and robot software programs. They want the information you're legally required to provide when you register a domain name. But we're proud to announce that we have a solution!

Special Introductory Offer –
    NEW! Domains By Proxy™ keeps your
    personal information private for only $6 per year!
    (Prorated to a domain's expiration date.)

Go Daddy has always protected your privacy, but now we've boosted your protection to a whole new level! With Domains By Proxy, our sister company, your personal information is kept private. This process is new and so unique that it is supported by two patent applications.

For only $6 per year per domain, a private domain registration will:
    Stop and/or not be subject to domain related spam.
    Deter identity fraud and theft.
    Stop harassers, stalkers and data miners cold in their tracks.
    Allow you to run your home business without the prying eyes or intervention of others.
    Protect your identity if you "moonlight".
    And more!
    So why leave yourself exposed? Enjoy security and peace of mind at the introductory price of just $6 per year per domain with a private domain registration. It works on any new, existing or transferred domain. Order now!

I think it is $6.00 per year plus registrations fee.
    So what do you think is it for real, anyone tried it or going to try it?

Check it out:

http://registrar.godaddy.com/dbp.asp..._id=1&mscssid=

Isn't it a law or something to where the information has to be made publically available?

I think it is $6.00 per year plus registrations fee.
    So what do you think is it for real, anyone tried it or going to try it
    They are legit. (or at least godaddy thinks they are)

But you are paying that $6/year above and beyond what you actually pay for the domain registration.

Be aware though, that what you're actually doing is paying them to own the domain for you. You do not own the domain if you use them!

Strictly speaking, they register the domain on your behalf, using their contact info. They own the domain. You have permission to modify all the contact info, because they say you do. If you get on their bad side, you could(possibly) lose your domain.
    I am now Tobarja.

Isn't godaddy an ICANN accredited registrar? I do remember that one of their terms is that the registrar displays client's information on the net.

Call me finicky about the language, but I consider companies unreliable when they make grammar errors in e-mails.

Originally posted by Xandra
    Isn't godaddy an ICANN accredited registrar? I do remember that one of their terms is that the registrar displays client's information on the net.

Call me finicky about the language, but I consider companies unreliable when they make grammar errors in e-mails.
    Yes they are ICANN accredited, and they must get around providing the information by registering the domains in their name, as was mentioned above.

Originally posted by deadserious

Yes they are ICANN accredited, and they must get around providing the information by registering the domains in their name, as was mentioned above.
    Doesn't another one of ICANN's terms state that domain names should be registered under the paying person's name unless they request it be under the registrar? Sounds like a good marketing gimmick, though.

I just got a "reminder" today BulkRegister about this - they insist that domains be in their paying customers name and info.

There is a big demand for privacy in domain WhoIs info, GoDaddy just happned to be the first to market to it

Register.com does the exact same with .jp domains that ask for presence in Japan.