ASP on Unix/BSD/Linux

Hey webhosting evangelists,

We recently had two customers requesting ASP hosting. Currently we do our hosting on FreeBSD... That bieng said,
    when we told them about possibly using ASP on Unix they said that it is not 100% compatible.

I know of ChilliSoft but it doesn't seem to be for FreeBSD. Are there any solutions that would actually be 100% compatible?
    Walter Landman
    Simplicato - Email Hosting

Those two customers really wanted to do ASP on Windows, so you won't please them if you insist using FreeBSD. So, forget them if you don't offer Windows.

As for Chilisoft on FreeBSD, I don't really know, but I know FreeBSD is able to run most Linux binaries. You might want to ask Chilisoft on that.

Hey priyadi!

Nice to see you after a long time!
    Offering Managed Servers - for an exclusive clientèle who value uptime, caring support and superior technology.

well, I suggest you only offer ASP on windows machines... not VERY well impressed with chilli soft asp..

online - s'where between home & datacenter
    yeah it may add chilli taste between u and ur client
    RockSolidHosting.US | reliable & affordable webhosting + domains
    Affordable shared / reseller hosting on Linux & Windows 2000
    Quality Bandwidth | 99.9% up | friendly support
    [Chat] yahoo: rshosting | AIM: rshos801 | [email protected] | ICQ: 219698679

The only decent ASP is Windows based. It's not going to change unfortunatly. People have tried - chilli, Apache etc but it's never gonna work well.

Actually, there are some ASP solutions that are platform-independant.... Such as:

Halcyon's Instant ASP
    Halcyon Software
    Web Site: http://www.halcyonsoft.com
    This implementation of ASP is Java-based, making for a platform-independent product offering by Halcyon Software. This makes Instant ASP a viable ASP application server for any platform that supports Java 2. The Java implementation also makes integration with other Java code, like Java Beans, more viable.

If your system supports java2, it will support halcyon.

then of course you know

Chili!Soft ASP
    Web Site: http://www.chilisoft.com
    Port of Microsoft's ASP environment offers the capability to script dynamic Web applications using JavaScript or VBScript to interact with COM objects and relational databases.......

I have also head of alot of solutions usings tomcat...

Actually the chilisoft people has done a really good job porting ASP to UNIX/Linux. The real problem is almost everybody don't write cross platform ASP code since ASP doesn't intented to be cross platform in the first place. The second problem, only a few third party developers write extensions/addons for Chilisoft ASP.

On top of the fact porting to Linux is as big hassle seeing most ASP developers work with Access/MSSQL and would need to rewrite the SQL and database specific routines for MySQL

Personally (I use windows 2000) but I have heard pretty good things about Chillisoft, one or two minor problems and the lack of COMs for it, but other than that its seems to have a good rep... Course Windows is better for ASP, and PHP is better on Nix, but sometimes you want a little ASP, and sometimes.... well it gives you a little freedom...

However need it not be forgotton, PHP works very, very well on windows

I too gave up and setup a win2k box just for asp, only becuase certiant partner applications im running require heavy com support

Stay away from ChiliSoft.

Trust me, its Crap. Good Try, but it won't work.

Why not get a Windows Box.

You can have it all. PHP, ASP, ASP.NET etc.

You can please all your customers with a Windows box

"You can please all your customers with a Windows box"

movabletypehost.com / xarayahost.com / tikihost.com : Interested?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=3691760

Why is it that the infamous sandal wearing unix zealots are so anti-Microsoft? Us Microsoft fans (in my opinion) don't have any problems with the Unix gang so why do Unix people slate Microsoft all the time? Microsoft windows 2000 is a good operating system. It seems to me that the people slating Windows all the time are unable to administer a windows system properly hence think it's not as good. I can administer a windows box to be reliable and having uptime greater than many Linux boxes I have used (not administered) and I am not the best windows admin in the world.

*nix = good
    windows = good.

Each have their place and should be allowed to have it. They make great competition for eachother and it's all fair.

Now take of your sandels and revolt with loafers

sorry, i wear sneakers and am doing tech support on a win2k box right now for an all microsoft shop.

i only rolled my eyes at the statement because it is false, settle down big guy.
    movabletypehost.com / xarayahost.com / tikihost.com : Interested?
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=3691760

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    Why is it that the infamous sandal wearing unix zealots are so anti-Microsoft? Us Microsoft fans (in my opinion) don't have any problems with the Unix gang so why do Unix people slate Microsoft all the time? Microsoft windows 2000 is a good operating system. It seems to me that the people slating Windows all the time are unable to administer a windows system properly hence think it's not as good. I can administer a windows box to be reliable and having uptime greater than many Linux boxes I have used (not administered) and I am not the best windows admin in the world.

*nix = good
    windows = good.

Each have their place and should be allowed to have it. They make great competition for eachother and it's all fair.
    The problem with Windows is that it's OWNED by Microsoft. Period.

< Bill Gates

Edited to add animation for effect...
    Last edited by steve93138; 09-25-2002 at 12:28 AM.

I'm not against Microsoft in any way. Well maybe in some ways but it's mostly jealousy. But in order to get a windows box up and running today I'd need a Windows 2k license. I'd need to figure out a way to integrate our ordering system (Written with PHP on unix) into Windows.

So unless we have a customer who is willing to pay us well, or a few customers then we would consider doing it. Plus I guess we'd be able to sell additional stuff on it such as Coldfusion hosting...

That brings me up to another question. How sellable is cold fusion hosting these days?
    Walter Landman
    Simplicato - Email Hosting

Unless you are using some specific Unix functions (not sure if there are any within PHP?) your PHP script should run on Windows without any problems.

I can see what you are saying Walter, It seems to me that Coldfusion hosting is used by some of the big guns, these sorts of customers aren't going to be buying shared hosting within reason. The other type of people I would guess use CF are developers "learning" CF. They are unlikly to have a lot of money to waste on a hobby (that's just a theory) I don't think that shared CF hosting is all that sellable. Good ol' fashioned Windows hosting with ASP is the main request for windows hosting.

i am a windows administrator. and i down it more than linux! I will admit. windows is easier to administer. and has a better GUI interface (not for too much longer) and your right they are good competition to each other... except that microsoft doesn't play fair. Microsoft hides ALL of it's code so noone can see it. and *nix OS's share all of their code. and you can get 99% of *nix os's free! Unlike the 90-200 dollar windows licenses.