Question on hosting foreign sites

I just received an order for web hosting (via the US Mail, which was strange in itself - I don't advertise that I take mail orders). He included payment with a Drug Store Money Order (valid), for one year of hosting.

The domain name lookup shows the same name, but a CALIF address, the return address on the envelope shows NY NY, and the postmark is Patterson NJ.

I just looked at the site, and it's entirely written in Turkish. The only thing I could find on it that I recognized was "In service to The Great Turkish Nation"

The gentlemans e-mail address was at yahoo.com

Any clues, or perhaps advice from you guys? I'm not real comfortable with this, but I'll respect your advice.

Joe
    http://www.hostpc.com
    DirectAdmin servers for hosting, resellers and your dedicated needs.
    Hosting, Resellers, Dedicated Managed and Unmanaged servers
    Hosting since 11/98 - Specializing in DirectAdmin since 8/03

if he's paid via money order, i dont think there is anything to worry about once you've deposited...

very very small chance of it being fraud (still a possibility, proceed with some caution)

I'm not terribly concerned with fraud, it's the content of the site that worries me. Pictures of Osama Bin Laden, riots, fires, a dead body in the road....

It's really freaking me out. PM if you want the URL and might be able to offer some serious advice ... I'm kinda nervous just giving it out.

That's really odd. I'd email the person and ask them what was going on...maybe try and get them to chat with you on Instant Messenger...feel them out a bit. Definately odd behavior on their part.

Originally posted by hostpc.com
    I'm not terribly concerned with fraud, it's the content of the site that worries me. Pictures of Osama Bin Laden, riots, fires, a dead body in the road....

It's really freaking me out. PM if you want the URL and might be able to offer some serious advice ... I'm kinda nervous just giving it out.
    Now that changes the picture a bit. If it were me, I'd politely decline his money, send it back and notify him that I wouldn't be able to help him. The whole thing's just too weird.

My philosophy is that I don't need anyone's money THAT badly that I have to jeopardize my livelihood for 1 account.

Originally posted by lightnin

Now that changes the picture a bit. If it were me, I'd politely decline his money, send it back and notify him that I wouldn't be able to help him. The whole thing's just too weird.

My philosophy is that I don't need anyone's money THAT badly that I have to jeopardize my livelihood for 1 account.

couldnt have said it any better
    Geek 3 Computer Repair

well i'm up for free speech to a point...this one takes it a little too far...have to agree with andrew on this one

Well, this has kinda freaked me out a little - I called a friend, who happens to be the County Sheriff, told him the details (fortunately he's web-savvy) - he suggested I call the FBI immediately with the details.

I did, then e-mailed them the info to a specific person - I'm waiting to hear back now.

One of the problems is that the Money Order was already deposited with the days receipts. I have NO PROBLEM issuing a refund from the Company Account, and I plan on doing just that after being advised by the FBI that it's ok to do. The initial contact person there actually told me "well we do have Freedom of Speech". I understand that, but this is BIZARRE!

Thanks for your advice guys - really appreciate it.

Joe

Just to let you know, I got a rough translation thanks to a member here who saw my post.

"The site seems to be a conspiracy theory site, with people from all over giving their theories on conspiracies that are going on/have gone on. The Terrorism page (link of Osama) is actually a history of the different terrorist groups throughout the world including the IRA and others. The site does not support one particular group and doesn't support terrorist activity, just seems to chronicle it and then have kooks from everywhere giving their opinion on things."

I feel a little more comfortable, but I'm still refunding the customer - I don't want it on my servers.

Thanks again everyone!