Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Greetings:
    How many of you manage your hosting business via a BlackBerry or Smartphone?
    If you use a BlackBerry, what model and carrier?
    If you use a BlackBerry, do you have an in-house server you use for the BlackBerry services, or do you rent from an external provider? If the latter, whom?
    If you use a SmartPhone, what model and carrier?
    Thank you.

I don't "manage" it on my phone per se, but my iPhone 3G does help me keep updated with emails and such. The SSH client comes in handy occasionally too.

Same here I use my iPhone with SSH, RDP, Ping apps, email and web browser for tickets and such when needed...

I use my blackberry curve to receive emails, login to servers via ssh, etc. Does come in handy.

Most of around here have a blackberry of sort that we use to receive our emails, and use to ssh into the servers.
    Verizon/ Storm

Same as others, I use my Blackberry curve to access/reply to emails while out of the office. I'll rarely SSH into a server from it, but handy to have the option if needed.

Looks like I'm odd man out here running windows mobile. I have a HTC Touch smartphone and I use it for email, tickets, ssh, whm, gps, yellowpages, wikipedia... ok enough said.
    It would be very difficult to manage our company with out it; being able to reply to a support ticket within 5 minutes is invaluable to building a good support reputation, and I think I would loose my touch with it. (sorry for the pun)
    My partner has a blackberry that he uses to stay connected and do all the above, so I'm not about to battle over which is better.
    In both cases our provider is Telus.

serverland Guest
    +1 for the iphone.
    TouchTerm Pro is a full featured ssh application with programmable shortcuts and finger gestures. Great way to perform minor fixes in a pinch.

I have a HTC Touch smartphone
    How long have you had the Touch? My last experience with Win Mobile was with a Treo and it was not the best to say the least, but have been looking at a Touch.

I use my blackberry curve to receive emails, login to servers via ssh, etc. Does come in handy.
    Are you using the 8900 model?
    I am planning to get one but I need to know which one is better to use especially for ssh:
    Blackberry 8900, IPhone 3G or Nokia e90.
    Any ideas/suggestions?

I don't "manage" it on my phone per se, but my iPhone 3G does help me keep updated with emails and such. The SSH client comes in handy occasionally too.
    Yeah, ditto ^^

How long have you had the Touch? My last experience with Win Mobile was with a Treo and it was not the best to say the least, but have been looking at a Touch.
    Ive had my Touch for 16 months now. I will not lie it is not the perfect device, but the issues seem to be with the Touch not Windows Mobile, and I am very happy with it. I recall the issues that the Treo had as I have provided support to one of my clients many times for it. Also it is a great improvement over the Motorola Que. My partner had one before his blackberry. But all in all its quite valuable. I do notice that it tends to lag once it gets 2500-3000 text messages in it, and I reboot it every 3-5 days for various reasons. Otherwise I'm very happy with it. Also if you look online you can get an extended life battery for it. I haven't got it yet but its nice to know that its there. After 16 months I get 16-24 hours depending on use and signal strength.
    Let me know if you have further questions.

All of my guys also use the iPhone. We find it quite capable to handle most functions when we're away from our computers.

iPhone is very nice. Although if you can wait a few months till july a new iPhone is schedualed for launched (although its not announced officialy there are tons of leaked features and proof such as 32 gig hard drives being ordered)
    Andrew Anderson
    Sales Manager
    NerdyHost.com

Right there along with everyone else, my phone helps keep me in the loop but I wouldn't say I "manage" my business with it. It's a nice tool to have though, no doubt.

Not for day-to-day business runnings, but if I'm caught out and there is an issue, I have a PPC 6700, Windows Mob. 5, with ssh client, terminal services client, and some network tools, it has saved my butt more than once.
    It's also a 3G modem if need be...
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

If I'm out of town or on a day off, I keep my iPod touch and Nokia E63 with me, they make a great combo as I can pretty much observe and monitor anything my staff is doing and also troubleshoot small issues that may arise. Heck I sometimes even leave our live chat on, on my ipod
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

Managing your hosting business through your phone is just wrong lol. Unless of course your at hostingcon

I use the iPhone 3G as well. I hate the touchpad though. You can't use a stylus only your figers (I've actually used my nose once or twice to type out an email).

I tend to spend a lot of time out of the office and use a Blackberry storm to keep up to date on what is happening, mainly via mail and if something needs done i jump onto my laptop which i always carry with me and get it done
    If you need help about anything to do with WHT, check out the Helpdesk

I use an iPhone 3G when I'm on the go, and it works great. I can connect to servers with iSSH, and the web browser can handle just about any type of website.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

My company finally got me a BB Curve, so nice being able to keep up on my email without the need to boot my work machine up on the weekends.

I went through and made a bunch of cgi scripts on my web server that launch automated processes to fix certain issues that would come up.

I answer emails and answer support tickets from my IPhone.
    HostMonkey | Your kingdom starts here. (tweet us @HostMonkeynet)
    Affordable and Reliable Shared Hosting, VPS Servers, and Dedicated Servers
    OpenVZ, SolusVM CP, 99.9% Uptime Guarantee, 24x7x365 Support
    Server Reseller Program: significant discounts, to increase your profits!

We use our iPhones to keep us in the loop when we're not at our desks. We don't manage the business from them, but they allow us not to be tethered to our computers either. I can do most things with the iPhone that I can do with my computer include answer support tickets, set up/modify an account, ssh, etc. If it's a really complicated issue, than I need to be at the desk, but for about 90% of all issues, the iPhone works well when away from my desk.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.™
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

whmcs shows up pretty good on an lg dare

We use our Blackberries to keep track of incoming tickets and e-mails, as well as customer replies to tickets and e-mails. We may not necessarily use our devices to reply to these requests but it will at least give us a notification.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast