Thread: Couple things

Arrow Couple things

Ok,
    First off Just saying that I appriciate these forums they have brought so much to the hosting community.

These are a couple of suggestions I thought of making:
    1. A post requirement to post an ad, a lot of people join up without any posts just put their ad and never come back untill they have a new ad. I guess this isn't a BAD thing but it sure isn't a GOOD thing.

2. Some way of governing the amount of ads put in, because I was trying to sell something as well as try to hire some one the exact same day but I couldn't post more then once. So I had to wait a week or whatever it was to post that I was hiring.

Ok just thought I would put in my 2 cents, just to consider it. The forum is good as it is.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Couple things

Originally posted by DJiMPaCT
    Ok,
    First off Just saying that I appriciate these forums they have brought so much to the hosting community.
    Yes, I am in love too
    These are a couple of suggestions I thought of making:
    1. A post requirement to post an ad, a lot of people join up without any posts just put their ad and never come back untill they have a new ad. I guess this isn't a BAD thing but it sure isn't a GOOD thing.
    You're saying newbies shouldn't be allowed to post ads? I'm against this - as long as its in the proper forum, anyone should be able to post an ad.

2. Some way of governing the amount of ads put in, because I was trying to sell something as well as try to hire some one the exact same day but I couldn't post more then once. So I had to wait a week or whatever it was to post that I was hiring.
    Wait the 5 days and try again. That is our way of governing - less work for all the mods

Ok just thought I would put in my 2 cents, just to consider it. The forum is good as it is.
    Eh....most people put in more than 2 cents when they want something done
    Thanks for your time.

He isn't saying that newbies shouldn't be allowed to post ads... just users should only be allowed to post new threads if they have x posts. Places like yaxay, and sitepoint do it.

I think point 2, was more or less about how many ads are posted per day...do you scroll back a few pages to see new listings? If suggestion 1 was put into place it would solve this a bit.

1. Interesting. But, doesn't seem to be that much of a problem.

2. Is it really that hard to wait five days? Sure, you may 'want' to post unrelated ads on the same day, but 5 days isn't very long to have to wait.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Places like yaxay, and sitepoint do it.
    Which is why I'm a loyal WHT member....

What should happen in the case of WiredDog/Alisha (I think thats her name) if we had a rule like this?

If we were to enact a minimum, it should be a low number; not higher than 20...

We demand a minimum of 20 posts for ads and 50 posts for work requests becuase of peopel that otherwise woudl just visit the forums to post their ads or scrupulous others that woudl post to try and rip people

I personally think 20 is low .. but hey
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

I think that kind of requirement is a really good idea.

Well, you should be able to post an offer in the appropriate forum, as well as post a job offer in the Job Offers forum. Let us know if there's a problem there.

As for advertising forums. Well... my take on it is that the ad forums exist for several reasons, one of which is to reduce the amount of spam posted on the main forums. In other words, people don't have an excuse. We offer 3 forums (Shared, Dedicated, and Related Offers) in which even a member with no posts may use instead of spamming the main forums (where it isn't allowed period).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken