Thread: Hosting at Home

Hosting at Home

Has anyone done this? Anyone tried?

Are speeds on business class dsl or cable lines fast enough?

Thanks!
    Paul Gowder
    Webmaster
    PowWows.com

I guess it depends on what you are hosting. Probably good enough for small personal static sites.

But you might want to check with your DSL or cable providers in regards to this.

However, if you are doing it as a business, you might want to consider a proper datacenter.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Hey Paul,
    probably not the best idea, I'd go with a reputable datacenter too.. but if you have some sort of business line, and your uplink says its acceptable to host sites/mail, I dont see why you couldn't.
    But hosting off plain adsl or something probably wont get you too far
    good luck
    - Ross
    For quality hosting at a quality datacenter - www.ultralogic.net
    [email protected]

I've done this for about 3 months on an AT&T cable line. They allowed hosting as long as we accepted the responsibility, equipment, and security regarding hosting a site.

The first thing you want to do is make sure it is ok with your host.

I guess it depends on what you are hosting. Probably good enough for small personal static sites.
    I have to disagre with this statement, though it is a "guess". I ran my personal site which is/was running a CMS system, and little... To my knowledge, the line, doesnt know whether a site is static or dynamic. Just commenting on what I had experience with .

Anyways, My cable connection was 1.5Mbps / 512kbps, and people here and other people in other places said the connection was good. Also considering my site was running on a 700MHz Celeron, Gateway Desktop Running Win2k Pro, SP2 with 256MB RAM, and apache 1.3.24, php 4.1.0 and MySQL 3.23.47. The computer was also used by me all day.

However, My computer's network was set up kinda odd, but it served its purpose. I had 2 network cards, A 100mbit for my "LAN" that was behind a router along with 2 other computers, and a 10mbit NIC connected directly to the swtich "WAN". This allowed me to cram massive files across my internal network without interferring with the serving of the website. I posted a diagram here some time ago, but I cant remember what post it was. Also if you do this, make sure you have a good firewall, because while I was hosting my site locally, I got all kinds of attacks, and I managed to block them.

Just my 2 cents....
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

You could also buy a frame relay link and hook your boxes to that. Then again, you'd be restricted to around 1.5mbps, which might not be enough. Datacenters all the way.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Well I know of one company that used to sell webhosting on a 1.1 Mb SDSL connection. They acquired a lot of customers now I think they moved to a real data center or got some real t-1's.

Sometimes the line was down and the customer was down but that happend rarely and the price they were saying was well worth it (At that time the T1 would cost them around 1500 while the SDSL considerably less).
    Walter Landman
    Simplicato - Email Hosting

MGCJerry,
    Hi there.
    If you're still running apache 1.3.24, upgrade to 1.3.26.
    its exploitable.. the *nix version is anyway, not sure about the windows apache 1.3.24
    nevertheless, better off upgrading and keeping all those little bugs out
    - Ross
    For quality hosting at a quality datacenter - www.ultralogic.net
    [email protected]