hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : sending 1000 emails (as fast as possible)

Forum Jump

sending 1000 emails (as fast as possible)

Reply Post New Thread In Specialty Hosting and Markets Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 09:09 PM
wander

I am the admin for a outdoors club and am looking for something like mailman / phplist / others?
Plus be able to send 1000 messages (as fast as possible / not 300 per hour) about 10 times per week to it's entire membership.
Any pointers on who would do this would be great!
located in Vancouver, BC Canada.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

This could be achieved if you used some purpose built mailing software, such as OemPRO by octenth, configured to use another Qmail server (i've done it with qmail, others can be used) which has been tuned to hell
We've been able to send 20,000 in an hour before, worked well.. We spent ages building it tho..
For a purchased service, check out mailchimp.com MailChimp rock!

Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 PM
inprogrammer2008

Are you sure that all mails will reach the mail box properly without bounce or failure? This rate of 20,000 an hour will trigger the smtp error from other mail servers.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2009, 07:01 PM
Junior Guru

Are you sure that all mails will reach the mail box properly without bounce or failure? This rate of 20,000 an hour will trigger the smtp error from other mail servers.
You are assuming that all emails would be going to the same mail server. In all likelihood, his list is made up of email addresses from many different providers so it's not likely to overwhelm the other mail servers.
Any commercial email marketing application or service should be able to handle your needs as 1,000 emails in an hour is quite low.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 AM
WHT Addict

My solution

I have been hosting Qmail based email server for five years. Im using on it EZML.

I wrote my own script to add approx 1500 clients to that mailing list, doing this manually is way too insane job

When i sent my newsletter, it takes only 3-5 seconds and all 1500 emails has been sent.

Well, qmail based email setup is not easy and newbie cannot do it unfortunately.

This was just a hint. However if you are not interested in above solution, any sendmail compliant email server and i can write in no time "mass mailer" script if necessary.

Donīt get me wrong, i am not any spammer! But after nine years of administrating various linux based servers, i naturally know a lot about these things

To: chenetwork

Yes i am sure they will reach it unless you are sending all of those email to same host. Results may vary depending on different email servers, depends is there set any rate limits how many email in time xxx is allowed from certain hosts etc.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Web Hosting Master

Well the best and cheapest way would be using PHP.
You could use 20 - 30 GMail or any SMTP provider.
Each GMail account has a limit of 500/day

Then php can do the trick. It can use SMTP and send as many emails you would like!

Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone

Old 06-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Mr. Awesome

I recommend using the free dadamail mailing list software. It's very good, easy to install and configure, and most importantly... works well and is reliable.

You can also specify the send rate you want... 1000/hour should be no trouble.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Corporate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
I recommend using the free dadamail mailing list software. It's very good, easy to install and configure, and most importantly... works well and is reliable.

You can also specify the send rate you want... 1000/hour should be no trouble.

Very interesting, i hope i dont start seeing those nigerian spam's again lol. Those were getting wild at a time saying you won the nigerian lotto etc..

Old 06-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alons View Post
Well the best and cheapest way would be using PHP.
You could use 20 - 30 GMail or any SMTP provider.
Each GMail account has a limit of 500/day

Then php can do the trick. It can use SMTP and send as many emails you would like!
Good advice. PHP is always a friendly choice with a very simple mail() function. A simple loop sending one email at a time would do the job, or you could try to emulate some "multithreading" sending a few overlapping emails to cut down on the delivery time if speed is absolutely a priority.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Web Hosting Master

Or just use Mailman, a proper list manager with proper bounce handling. 1000 names is not a problem for mailman at all. Best if you have a decent mail server backing it up.

Do you need Canadian hosting for this? The choices are somewhat limited in Vancouver itself but there are some, and there are many more in Toronto and Montreal. If location of the service provider isn't an issue then choice really won't be a problem at all.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:20 AM

there are several services that can help you with that or you could write your own script in php

<snipped>

Last edited by ldcdc; 06-06-2009 at 04:08 AM. Reason: manual sig
Old 06-06-2009, 04:27 AM
Intangible Asset Appraiser

I've used a few, currently use phplist, and it can deliver 1000 quite quickly.
Well within an hour...and that's on a slow machine.

You don't want it to go toooo fast, most admins even throttle this down, if you happen to have a lot of target addresses at one domain (yahoo, etc), you will actually end up delaying delivery even longer because they will deffer your connections if you hit their limit vs time (which is quite easy to do).

School of though is, if you can hit send, and it even takes a few hours, you get your mail delivered, great. At 10 a week, that's a max of 2 per working day, as long as you get everything there by the next mailing, you are good to go. Actually, the slower you can stand for them to be delivered, the higher the delivery rate is, especially with large lists. 1000 is considered small.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
The Options for Blocking Outbound Spam: The Status Quo Blog 2013-06-06 14:08:10
Rackspace Integrates Mailgun into Cloud Control Panel Web Hosting News 2013-05-23 14:55:51
Security Provider Websense Discovers Fake Symantec Emails Distributing Malware Web Hosting News 2012-08-29 14:44:19
eleven August Email Security Report Sees Highest Spam Growth Rate in Two Years Web Hosting News 2012-08-08 13:22:20
eleven Report for June Sees 927.4 Percent Rise in Virus-Infected Emails Web Hosting News 2012-06-07 15:33:50