Question pop + GNU Mailman?

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I recently deployed a webserver (runnig Mandrake Linux 8.1 -- what I had on hand). Out of the box, it was running ipop3d, a POP3 server. It works -- I can send and receive mail.

Afterward, I installed GNU Mailman, a mailing list manager sort of like Majordomo, but with a web-based interface. I created a test list, and it sent out subscription mail to the people I placed in it, but when I went to send mail to the list I created, it told me that the user was not found.

So what's going on is that I'm attempting to send mail to the "test" mailing list, but the user "test" doesn't exist, so it gets rejected. So I created the (system) user "test" and tried again... This time, the mail got into the "test" mail queue, but nothing happened until I checked that account.

So what I need to do is figure out how to get Mailman and the mailserver (ipop3d) to "communicate," and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to accomplish this.

And on an only-partially-related note, can someone tell me how I might go about ensuring that relaying is turned off, so I don't become a relay for countless spammers? I'm not too familiar with running mailservers, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Better or Worse?

Okay, so I did a bit of hunting around, and found something I missed... So the "new" error (reported in a bounce message when I try to post something) is this:

<[email protected]>: Command died with status 2:
    "/var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper post test". Command output: Failure to exec
    script. WANTED gid 65534, GOT gid 99. (Reconfigure to take 99?)

The fix is suggested at, but it involves recompiling... I installed from an rpm. I'd really rather not build from source; is there a way to fix it anyway? The specific text from is as follows:

Problem: I use Postfix for my MTA and the mail wrapper programs are logging complaints about the wrong GID.
    Solution: Create a separate aliases file for Postfix in its config file under the variable alias_maps. Put the file somewhere in Mailman's home directory, or somewhere else where the user mailman has write access to it; as user mailman call Postfix's postalias on the alias file.

% postalias the-alias-file

Also as user mailman, run

% python -c'import os; print os.getgid()'

This should print out the group id that Mailman should be configured to expect when the mail wrapper programs are run. Call it thegid. Rebuild Mailman with

% ./configure --with-mail-gid=thegid

Any help would be very much appreciated; I'm ready to start pulling my hair out.