Who/What do you recommend?

Ok,

We are looking at getting a H-sphere setup. We need Linux and Windows hosting.

MSSQL server will be required.

What setups do you advise?

We are considering things like...
    2 Top-end servers Dual P4 1.4/1GB ram/80GB for example
    3 middle-end servers Single P4 1.3/1GB/80GB for example
    4 low/middle end servers? P3 1.1/512/60GB for example

What would you suggest is the best setup?
    I hear things like run DNS on two servers, CP on one of them, Win2k for asp clients etc.

Finally - who can you recommend? We are looking to get good value and reliability but can't afford to pay over the odds.

Thanks

If you want both windows and linux with H Sphere you should really have 4 servers to start.

Server 1 - Control Panel, DNS 2
    Server 2 - DNS 1, mail, mysql, pgsql
    Server 3 - linux web sites
    Server 4 - windows web sites

You can use a pretty standard server for all of this something like a p3 or AMD athlon with 512 RAM and 40 to 60 gig drive. If you are running a lot of media or heavy traffic you might want to bump the RAM up to 1 gig.

The p3 servers are actually better for web hosting than the p4 so we use mostly the p3s. We sell the p4 but not a whole lot of them.

If you buy the control panel licenses outright from psoft or an authorized reseller you get your support directly from psoft. So the main thing you need to worry about is who is setting up and maintaining these servers for you. Psoft will give you excellent support and update your system with recent patches or post them on their web site for you to download and install.

Hope that info helps!!!
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

3 middle-end servers Single P4 1.3/1GB/80GB for example
    4 low/middle end servers? P3 1.1/512/60GB for example
    As Matt says, you have the low and middle end servers reversed except for the ram/hd. A P4 1.7 is about on par with a P3 1.1, so the P4 1.3 would be the lowest end. Also consider SCSI drives if you want high-end servers.
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

Wow that is surprising how much the PIII beats the P4.

Matt,

Would 4 servers not be a slight waste of resources that could be used for putting clients on opposed to 3? If the control panel server went down would the sites still work if DNS is on another box? Or is the control panel an integral part for the HTTP server to run with?

My follow up questions, would you make all servers the same specification? Perhaps the Windows should have more CPU/RAM I was thinking? Especially since it's running MSSQL.

Can anyone point me the difference technical and performance between the P4 Celeron, P4 and PIII? Or simply put which is the best, most powerful and stable CPU?

> If the control panel server went down would the sites still work if DNS is on another box?
    Yes that's why you have two DNS server - master and slave

> Or is the control panel an integral part for the HTTP server to run with?
    No

> Can anyone point me the difference technical and performance between the P4 Celeron, P4 and PIII? Or simply put which is the best, most powerful and stable CPU?
    Depends on the mhz of the P4.
    Generally if we're talking P4 1.7 ghz and below
    P3 = best
    P4 = second best, but close
    P4 celeron = worst
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

Cheers panopticon that was most helpful,

If anyone could tell me some affordable providers to go with that would be great.

Cheers

The beauty of an H Sphere cluster is that since you would DNS 1 on one server and DNS2 on another you will generally always have DNS service. The control panels have nothing to do with the web servers so if the control panels are down, the sites are up.

I would say all the servers would be fine as I spec'd out above but you could add some more memory to the windows server just to be more secure in the setup. You won't need more memory in the other servers until you are very, very busy. At that point an extra $20 or so per month won't really matter right?
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation