Question about moving to new provider...

Hello,

We will be moving to a new server provider soon and have a question or two...

Are there any problems with keeping the same server names? What I mean is, say the server name we have now is "1.svr.net", can we buy a server from the new provider with the same name? How would we handle the name servers to keep our client's sites up?

I am thinking that if our name servers now are ns1 and ns2 with this provider, would we make the name servers ns3 and ns4 with the new provider? When would we change the DNS for svr.net?(srv.net not ours)

I know someone knows what I am talking about and has been through this in the past.

Thank you for your time!

You can keep the same server names at a new provider, all you have to do is to let your domain registrar know the new IPs. For second question, it usually takes 24-48 hours to change to your new IPs. Most host providers will set up your nameserver for you, for those cheap unmanaged servers, you might have to do it for yourself and often time-consuming and frustrated, so be prepared ahead of time. Or you can find someone else to do it for you at a fee. I spent almost a week trying to set up my own nameserver and failed, requested 2 restores which cost me another $100. Finally I found someone at nameserversetup.com to set up mine for $30. I got mine done just about 24 hours and since then I havn't had any problem at all.

Just keep the same name servers ns1 and ns2... that way the IP's are the only thing that have to be changed at YOUR domain name registrar - All your clients sites will also resolve to the new server at or around the same time - You don't therefore have to update their name servers at all - Including changing the IP's associated, because they will resolve to your new name server IP's at the same time as your site, (Did I repeat myself )

All you do is just call your server (host name) ns1.yourdomain.com and then just create an DNS zone for that yourdomain.com and include a A record for ns1.domain.com with your servers main IP address.

Then create an A record for ns2.yourdomain.com with a different IP from your box (Assuming you run secondary name service from the same machine).

Go to your registrar and update the IP's associated with your domain name servers that are already registered. Use the IP's you just entered into your new zone from your new machine

Transfer those client accounts to your new server like crazy, because it would usually only take 12-24 hours for the new IP's to kick in and your new server to be online.

Hope all goes well.
    Last edited by StevenG; 09-19-2002 at 12:21 AM.

Thanks guys!

Can you tell me the best way to move accounts from one provider to another?

Cool Dotcomsnz!

I hope it's as easy as that looks!...

Can't connect! Both machines using ssh. How do I tell them it's okay to connect to each other?

Well try

cd /home (Or any directory you want)

gtar cvzfp user.tar.gz user (or any directory you want)
    mv user.tar.gz /home/user/www/user.tar.gz (Or your equivalent)

Then login to your other server:

wget http://your-IP-Address/user.tar.gz

gtar xvzf user.tar.gz

Of course you can just tar up the whole /home directory if you wanted.

You can also tar up everything in the current and lower directories by doing: gtar cvzfp backup.tar.gz *

Just another way
    Last edited by StevenG; 09-19-2002 at 06:32 PM.