Question how much do you think a 2 char .ORG domain is worth?

Just curious - someone confronted me about a domain and wanted to know if I wanted to make an offer for it.

It's a LetterNumber.org, much like d4.org (chars changed for privacy sake)

I'm thinking about it, given the rarity of the 2 char domains, but wanted to test the waters here before I did. normally I shy away from ORG domains.

By my math, there's not too many 2 char domains:
    36*36 = 1296 total 2 char .org's.
    1296*3 = 3888 total .Com .Net .Org 2 char domains.

Any idea what I should offer to lock it in, or even if it is worth it?

thanks!
    -WC-

A domain is only worth what you can con someone into paying you for it. A useless 2 char domain (like 9J.org) might be worth $10. A useful domain (like X5.org because that's a popular automobile) may be worth $10. Until you build a site around it. Then it might be worth more.

Well, I would be apt to agree except for scarcity.

People during catastrophes will pay lots of money for simple scarce items like water or bread or other materials if they believe they will be scarce.

During the Anthrax scare, people were buying up Cipro because they thought it would get scarce.

Someone who likes to collect stamps would agree that a rare 1 cent stamp might be worth millions - even though at a post office it would be worth only $0.01 to them. Scarcity.

So you were correct about the 'domain is only worth what you can get/com someone into paying for it'. But that's relative to that moment in time. Better offers may come later, or they may not. But I was curious to know what people knowledgable in these types of domains have seen them go for recently.

-WC-

Numbers reduce the value. .org reduces the value. Random characters reduce the value. No website built around the domain name reduces the value. But, a two character domain name is inherently more valuable than others from the start. There isn't a blue book for domain names - and I consider valuation services to be nonsense. Put it on EBAY for $50,000 and see if you get it. Reduce the number by half each week until it sells!

I would say somewhere between the range of 500-10,000. But it all depends.
    Domain Software, LLC.

Yeah, Agreed.

Numbers, .org, nonsense, and hyphens are all negatives to a domain.

And this domain has nonsense, a number and is a .ORG.

Oh well, I will see what he is lookng for.

-WC-

$100 min

Think it would be worth $400? That's the minimum the seller wants to sell it for.

Anyone buy or sell a 2 char .org lately?

-WC-

Alternatives

If you are Canadian, you may register Letter+Number.CA instead; there are still lots available out there. Alternatively, opt for 3-Letter .ORG which is no less good.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

We can't give a price quote without knowing the domain name.

It is worth less than $10. The question is, how much is it worth to you? I know we talked about this via PM, and as I said, I'd pay about $200 personally. Some may pay more, some may not think it is even worth that. But it is up to you.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

It's worth roughly 20% of a 2-char .COM

There's some fuzzy math...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I would like to say 30% but times-a-changing

Probably worth around $200
    <<Please RTFM for signature setup>>

FYI

FYI: o8.org (with the letter "O", not zero) was sold for $335 in July and gh.org $1,575 in May, both via AfterNIC.com.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Afternic sales are reseller to reseller and don't reflect actual market value.

A 3 char domain name with numbers and .org have the potential of being useless and valueless. Post the domain!

The guy is talking about a 2 (two) char .ORG - let's stay on topic.

Sorry, didn't see you ask for the name of the domain. The domain is R8.org.

Kind of cool, sounds like 'rate'. Too bad it's an org.

-WC-

I personally would rather have a 4 or 5 char .com rather then telling people my busines's domain is .ORG ........ just my preference

lol, yeah - .org is almost as bad as .biz...

-WC-

I sold one

Originally posted by WildCard

Anyone buy or sell a 2 char .org lately?

-WC-
    About two or three years ago, I successfully auctioned off the domain name o3.org on afternic for $1100 or so (I don't remember exactly, but it was a real coup).

o3 is the chemical formula for ozone, but really, who the hell is gonna be able to use a domain name like this?

I don't think the person who bought it from me even hung on to it.

For the seller, it's worth several hundred (and costs a few hunderd over a lifetime). For the buyer, I'd say it's worth about $50 - $100, just for the convenience and exclusivity (there are 3888 of them) of having a two-character top-3 tld.

Yeah, 2-3 years ago people were blowing lots of money on domains - speculation felt that any half way decent name would be awesome with a ton of advertising. It's what spawned all the e<domain> or i<domain> etc.

Thanks for the post though, even though r8 sounds like rate, I doubt that it will do me no good to sell it, I will just use it for small email addresses and name servers I guess.

-WC-

Actually times will change and the domain market will regain its lost share.

r8.org sounds great. I had 0r8.com (zero rate!) and it sold for about $50.