hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Cloud Servers by Rackspace

Forum Jump

Cloud Servers by Rackspace

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Web Hosting Master

What do you guys think about Cloud Servers by Rackspace?
They said its kind of like a VPS but more powerful.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Web Hosting Guru

It doesn't appear that rackspace has them available yet, but their website indicates they are working on it. I understand they are utility hosting VPS accounts like amazon's EC2. And yes, they are much more powerful than standard VPS accounts due to their hourly billing, instant provisioning and ancillary cloud services.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Web Hosting Master

Rackspace offes Virtual servers (at this point) through slicehost, and they are working on offering smaller cloud servers through mosso sometime soon.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Web Hosting Master

I asked RS and they said that its already available but they didn't give me any pricing and said someone will call me regarding that.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Web Hosting Master

What do you think their pricing will be like? I have been a bit curious myself to see how much they will be charging.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:44 AM
mafitsi

This service is available right now, the sellz guy said around $100, but no SSH access, no cpanel..ect check http://www.mosso.com/qualification.jsp to get more

Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Web Hosting Master

It doesn't appear that rackspace has them available yet, but their website indicates they are working on it. I understand they are utility hosting VPS accounts like amazon's EC2. And yes, they are much more powerful than standard VPS accounts due to their hourly billing, instant provisioning and ancillary cloud services.
More powerful due to hourly billing and instant provisioning? Those are odd reasons how something can be said to be more powerful.
-Jay

Old 01-24-2009, 12:08 PM
WHT Addict

This service is available right now, the sellz guy said around $100, but no SSH access, no cpanel..ect check http://www.mosso.com/qualification.jsp to get more
That's for Cloud Sites, not Cloud Servers.
Cloud Sites is simply shared hosting on a cluster, similar to MediaTemple's GridService, etc. Only difference is that supports Linux and Windows in one environment. It's also built for web designers to resell..
If you watch Rackspace's keynote (http://www.rackspacecloudevent.com/) about their new Cloud Platform, they explain that Cloud Servers will be a new offering through Mosso that was developed by Slicehost. It will be XEN Based VPSes that will start at $20.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:52 PM
mafitsi

That's for Cloud Sites, not Cloud Servers.
Sorry, you are right.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Web Hosting Guru

More powerful due to hourly billing and instant provisioning? Those are odd reasons how something can be said to be more powerful.
-Jay
Might seem odd I guess at first glance... but it's proven to be extremely powerful. With those simple concepts, you no longer need to worry, prepare or think about how powerful or how many servers you need. Just scale up when you need the power and scale down when you don't. You may normally only need 1 server. But once a month you get plastered on drudgereport and other news outlets online and you need 20 servers for 5 hours. By getting those 20 servers only during those 5 hours, you just saved at least 95% off your hosting bill vs preparing in advance. And much more importantly you didn't damage your golden opportunities by underestimating your server resource needs. This is 1 use case that's benefited tremendously from utility hosting, there are many other use cases.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted