Hello!
    If you were looking for a high-end high-performance high-reliability VPS. Say a 100gb disk space, 2,000gb transfer, 4gb ram VPS with cPanel for around $115/month.
    Disk space, transfer, and ram would be *guaranteed* with no overselling, before people start going off on that tangent.
    Would you prefer OpenVZ or Xen - and why? Your only options are OpenVZ and Xen, I don't want to hear why you think XYZ's virtualization would be better than OpenVZ and Xen.

Xen is the way to go. The isolation is much better than openvz which guarantees maximum quality for all vps servers on the node.

Xen is the way to go. The isolation is much better than openvz which guarantees maximum quality for all vps servers on the node.
    Thank you ViAdcK, still looking for more input from everybody else!
    Thanks

OpenVZ offers better performance due to lower overhead, so all other things being equal I'd go with OpenVZ unless you *need* some Xen feature, such as swap space or a custom kernel.

OpenVZ is process isolation.
    Xen is real isolation

For high end servers, having Xen should increase reliability, since the bigger the other VPS are, the higher the chance the VPS on the same node will be affected....

For this amount of disk space and monthly transfer why don't use a dedicated server?

For this amount of disk space and monthly transfer why don't use a dedicated server?
    Well, that's not really the question that was asked.
    But to answer - you could get a more powerful CPU, good amount of ram, and good disk space/transfer for way lower than you could get a dedicated server with the same features. At least that's how it's planned so far.
    Plus this would be Raid-10 disk storage (which is going to add to the cost on your dedicated server).
    At any rate, OpenVZ or Xen? I'm trying to get a feel for what there would be more demand for (and more specifically why). I already have a pretty good idea myself but I like to hear what others out there think as well!
    Thank you for all that have participated in the poll thus far!

If you vote, if you could please post here why you voted the way you did, it would be very helpful!
    Thank you.

I voted Xen.
    Custom partitions, real isolation, separate kernels, pygrub, etc.
    It has a bit of a steeper learning curve, and requires some ebtables magic to prevent IP theft, but it it's performance is more predictable than ovz.

Hivelocity Q&A Guest
    It seems to me that xen has better features, it's even able to run windows but there is a learning curve.

I am using OpenVZ on a VPS with similar specs to what you are requesting and it is working fine. I haven't experienced any stability problems or anything and the nice thing is that it is burstable, some will say that really isn't a pro but I have found it is when we really need it.

Xen has swap space what could be considered something similar to burstable ram. Plus it's always available to use, contrary to burstable ram.

Xen has swap space what could be considered something similar to burstable ram. Plus it's always available to use, contrary to burstable ram.
    Yes but isn't swap slower.
    The better question is there going to be burstable ram included in the service?
    And wouldn't openvz be better as it would require less resources.

Hello!
    If you were looking for a high-end high-performance high-reliability VPS. Say a 100gb disk space, 2,000gb transfer, 4gb ram VPS with cPanel for around $115/month.
    Disk space, transfer, and ram would be *guaranteed* with no overselling, before people start going off on that tangent.
    Would you prefer OpenVZ or Xen - and why? Your only options are OpenVZ and Xen, I don't want to hear why you think XYZ's virtualization would be better than OpenVZ and Xen.
    I'm going to say that I would prefer XEN. The reason for that is, it's funtions more like a dedicated server. With OpenVZ, if you hit your memory limit, it starts killing processes. In Xen, it starts going in to swap. I'd rather my VPS get slower, than just die altogether.
    Like others have said, isolation is better. Xen does have a bit of higher overhead to run, but at that cost, and for what a person would desire, having that performance is worth a premium.

In my opinion, in the specs listed above, you could get a mid range dedicated server. The thing about VPS is, it's scalable. Let's say you had 100GB of disk, and 2 Dedicated CPU cores, 4GB of RAM, and that's in a dedicated server. If you wanted to upgrade, it would require some downtime, or possibly even new hardware, (if your hardware couldn't support upgrades). Now in a VPS, you could upgrade disk, CPU, RAM, easily, and without downtime, as long as the node has the space free.
    Not only that, but the reason I think VPS is neat, is because it's hardware independent to a certain degree. Let's say you have several nodes with several different chipsets, and more. If Node A fails, you could move the VPS to Node B, and regardless of the hardware, it would work. And you could do that fairly quickly. Now if you had a dedicated server go bad. You'd have to restore on a new machine. It would take time. If it's different hardware, you'd have to reinstall everything and then restore data.

Yes but isn't swap slower.
    The better question is there going to be burstable ram included in the service?
    And wouldn't openvz be better as it would require less resources.
    Sure swap is slower than ram. But the point is that you can use it always you need contrary to burstable ram. This is quite a moot point though. If you constantly need swap/burstable ram it means you have outgrown your vps

Well, that's not really the question that was asked.
    But to answer - you could get a more powerful CPU, good amount of ram, and good disk space/transfer for way lower than you could get a dedicated server with the same features. At least that's how it's planned so far.
    Plus this would be Raid-10 disk storage (which is going to add to the cost on your dedicated server).
    At any rate, OpenVZ or Xen? I'm trying to get a feel for what there would be more demand for (and more specifically why). I already have a pretty good idea myself but I like to hear what others out there think as well!
    Thank you for all that have participated in the poll thus far!
    IS this going to be SAS or SATA is the system going to be clustered or single server?

19. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!