Hello everyone,
    We've been planning to add Windows as OS. So, I've asked for quote for Windows 2008 license pricing from few resellers. I've had Windows 2003 licenses in past, but they've been not this expensive any time. I've been offered Windows 2008 Web for about $10, Standard ~$130-$150, Enterprise ~$200-$220 and Datacenter at about $50-$60.
    After being offered that insane pricing for Windows 2008, I'm highly confused how various providers are offering Windows at about 10th fraction of the cost I've been offered?
    What can I do to get lower pricing? Do you have any recommendation where should I get my licenses from? At present, I'm using my colo provider but that's somewhat expensive comparing other providers. However, I now think they're not expensive at all if I get such insane pricing for Windows..

You can see a comparison here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/compare-features.aspx
    Standard and DC edition are basically the same , if your server is already with a DC i would recommend getting it off them as they can provide the best pricing under their SPLA agreement.

Can someone explain the $100 difference between Datacenter and Standard edition? or even $150 difference with the Enterprise?

You can see a comparison here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/compare-features.aspx
    Standard and DC edition are basically the same , if your server is already with a DC i would recommend getting it off them as they can provide the best pricing under their SPLA agreement.
    I'm looking for direct contact as I've about 20 license requests.

I'm looking for direct contact as I've about 20 license requests.
    Direct Contact with MS? To Buy direct and get the best pricing you will need to sign up to their SPLA agreement http://www.microsoft.com/serviceproviders/licensing/default.mspx

I wasn't clear. :|
    I'm looking for a direct contract with either Microsoft or a reseller(preferred).

Can someone explain the $100 difference between Datacenter and Standard edition? or even $150 difference with the Enterprise?
    Authenticated and unathenticated licences. Standard and Enterprise licences support (legal) Active Directory (SAL, CAL). Also for hosting purposes you can only use Web Edition and Datacenter Edition. Standard & Enteprise are not allowed for hosting.
    If you want cheap OS for server than go for Web 2008 (Web Edition supports only Web Role and SQL 2008 Express + SQL 2008 Web Edition), if you want to run SQL on OS than you need Datacenter (unauthenticated).

Given your pricing concerns, you may want to try to license the products directly from Microsoft (or through a distributor) rather than going through the data center. Many data centers are OK with clients bringing their own licenses.
    -mike

Given your pricing concerns, you may want to try to license the products directly from Microsoft (or through a distributor) rather than going through the data center. Many data centers are OK with clients bringing their own licenses.
    -mike
    Do you recommend any distributor here?

Its all about the SPLA

VPHenrik Guest
    it's like when the biggest stores buys coca cola, ofcourse they will have better pricing than small stores.
    same goes for this, you should locate a big company or partner in order to get the best pricing.

it's like when the biggest stores buys coca cola, ofcourse they will have better pricing than small stores.
    same goes for this, you should locate a big company or partner in order to get the best pricing.
    SPLA pricing is the same for everyone, AFAIK.