AffordableColo.com - problems September 17, 2002 with level3 - Fixed

From both Seattle and LA I can't reach my server.

And of course, no answer on their support line

*I can* get to the affordablecolo.com web page, and their network status says fine.

Started 12:30pm PDT or sometime shortly after.

Anyone else?

Traceroutes end in Level 3 area...

Ive had such good luck with them that I haven't had to contact their support in months.. their stupid web site support system wants a password /username and I don't think they assigned me one

============ Confirmed fixed =============
    Last edited by StephenRS; 09-17-2002 at 04:58 PM.

Of course no answer from our support line?? We recvd the ticket and are working on it, when you have a ton of people calling you cant answer all the calls. SHould be up here in a few minutes. I dont know why you say of course, support is handled by the support desk which is always handled very very fast.

This is a isolated problem to a handful of customers. You can ask all of our customers support is handled faster then any of our competitors, weve sent out numerous notices with support and pass maybe you should update your acct with us.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

It is fixed...

Don't be putting your customers on the defence.

Look, the outage was legit, and 90+ minutes. So is my complaint that there are no instructions about support username and password. You recently changed support systems. You say only a few were impacted, yet you also say "when you have a ton of people calling you cant answer all the calls". I only called on the phone as a last resort, I waited 45 minutes hoping that the problem would just be resolved before phone call.

The "Network Status" page never said anything was wrong, despite refreshing it every few minutes for over 90 minutes. If that had been updated, I would have never had the need to call.

Your "Live Support" also depends on my mail to work, and I have my mail server hosted at affordablecolo

Relax Charles, even with these problems, you are better than most the other sites I deal with
    Last edited by StephenRS; 09-17-2002 at 05:05 PM.

Originally posted by StephenRS
    Your "Live Support" also depends on my mail to work, and I have my mail server hosted at affordablecolo
    Very unwise decision. You should always provide and use external email addresses.

Stephen, can you imagine if you host domain.com for one of your clients and they provide you with a @domain.com email address for contact purposes, what happens when the server their domain (domain.com) is on goes down? How do you contact them, vice versa?

You say only a few were impacted, yet you also say "when you have a ton of people calling you cant answer all the calls"
    Oops
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

no oops at all its very true it didnt impact but 6 people but when 4 of those people have called in and are on the phone with someone while its being resolved, it does create a problem.

Anyhow doesnt make a different anyhow because support issues are supposed to be handled through the helpdesk.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Charles is right.

It is very hard to deal with customers calling and trying to resolve the issue at the same time even if it is only a hand full.

Itís a balance act because customers need to be informed and the people doing the informing need to be working to resolve the issue.

We find the best way to deal with it is by having and offsite server for announcements such as outages that customers can go see current issues with out having to ring you up.