How to handle non-payers?

I am sure I am not the only person who has this problem, and I'm wondering how to deal with it.

For every 1 paying client, I receive about 200 who complete the registration forms and don't follow through.

This is for an email hosting service, where people can register (for example) [email protected] etc etc.

The prices are quite clearly displayed on the website so they should know it's not free.

I wonder if most people here send a polite "thanks for registering, but..." email, or whether they just ignore it.

These ghost sign ups are obviously interested enough to complete the form, so what have you found is the best way to turn these into clients?
    http://printers.abbey-lane.com

make them pay before registering?
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com

Well, what is your pricing structure ? I'd look at that.

Even with a domain name of my choice, I dont know if I personally would pay for an email address alone.

I mean, think about it...what are your offerings to lure me in ?

email at my own domain name? Hmmm.... even at $5.00 a year for the domain and $1.00 a month I'm not sure I would go for it.

Not enough return, seeing as I could easily use any of a thousand free email services out there and get pop/imap and webmail.

My wildest guess would be...a problem of demand for an email only service, without other add-ins for it.

I'd agree with that, there is limited demand, and it does depend largely on price.

That sed so many users feel trapped into completing a form when its presented to them, particularly novice users, they fill in forms becos they think its the only way to continue.

Also people don't read! We give away a freeware script via out site, with optional registration prior to download. 50% of people register, 50% just download the script.

Of the 50% that register about 35% give spoof info because havn't bothered to read the text, and they fear spamming.

People just don't read....

I can't agree more about people not reading pages properly. On one of my sites I sell a product for $9.95, and it clearly states the price on the page *five* times, and I *still* get the occasional email from angry people because "you said it was free", and even when I point out to them how many times it is stated on the page they reply saying, "no, it should be free!". Doh!

The market I am going for is the gift market. I can't imagine anyone is going to buy [email protected] for themselves, but maybe a wife or an adult child would buy one as a gift.

I registered about 19 fmaily domains, and people seem very interested in them - like I said, it's just the "paying" part. I gave one to my mother in law and she tells me every time she tells someone her address they comment on how cool it is.

So, perhaps I need to find something else I can give them as a freebie to entice them, or maybe lower the price. My pricing structure was based on my old data transfer allowances from at 4webspace, but they have just increased them five-fold so I can probably lower the price a bit.

I wonder if people would be more enticed if I let them have a 5 or 10 mb of webspace for their own personal pages? Perhaps they'd think having www.FantasticMoms.com/~JaneDoe makes the email address even more cool.
    http://printers.abbey-lane.com

Well, I must say that it is becoming ever more difficult to run a business online. To much fraud and not enough deterrence systems in place to fight it or support the Internet Merchants.

That was a little off-topic, but, back to the topic, maybe you should set up a very truncated TOS that they must read (maybe in big red letters) saying that this is a paid service and briefly explain the costs. Maybe you could post your site so we can take a look and see if we can offer some suggestions.

I also agree that you may want to think about expanding your service to include hosting services. Maybe you can offer a small amount of space with some type of online editor. It sounds like your target audience is those who are not HTML/Internet savvy, so maybe a easy online editor w/ web space would seal the deal?
    http://www.PreciseHosting.com - Providing powerful web site hosting, e-commerce, and design solutions.
    Email: [email protected]
    Toll-Free: 888-408-4472