hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Review of Obtrix.net Seedbox Hosting
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Review of Obtrix.net Seedbox Hosting

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Specialty Hosting and Markets Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Hello there, I have been a torrent user for the past three years, and after reading reviews of numerous TorrentFlux web hosts, decided upon Obtrix.net as the one that best served my needs: torrent seedbox under $30/month with large bandwidth and decent storage space.
I originally signed up for their $17.95/month plan with 1TB bandwidth on a 100Mb connection and 20GB storage space as their higher plan valued at $23.95 was out of stock. All e-mails were forwarded properly save my login information which made me concerned, so I joined their IRC chatroom and immediately received my information with a quick and easy security check. The staff were very helpful, and even gave me a 10GB bonus for the trouble I had to go through increasing my storage to 30GB.
I talked to the primary administrator: Bhavic, about obtaining the next higher plan, which he immediately opened for me and let me keep my 10GB storage bonus, now at 45GB. Through the IRC chatroom, I was even offered invites to the Demonoid.com and TorrentLeech.org communities with help on building an account at each site.
Quite simply, this is some of the best customer service I have ever received. Any problems I had were taken care of immediately with friendly staff who were patient with my requests. The bandwidth (for the $23.95 plan it is unlimited, I uploaded 500GB in two days) is exceptional, connections are very fast and everything is running smoothly. I highly recommend Obtrix.net hosting.
-Dan Kruse

Sponsored Links
Old
Not so experienced

Thanks for the awesome review Dan, I'm really glad that you found our unofficial support services such as IRC useful, and got to meet our other clients who probably use there services as you use yours. (for the same purposes)
On a side note just to let other users know, We did not and do not give out invites/information for Demonoid.com/TorrentLeech.org or any other similar site and nor do we support the hosting of such files.

Old

Hi, Im wondering if your service is up and running QuackMasterDan, cause my basic seedbox plan has stopped working since yesterday morning. Ive sent a couple of support tickets but Ive got no reply.
Thnx

Sponsored Links
Old

I have my own seedbox on the Torrent Advanced plan, and it has been running solid for over a week of uploading at 5MBps. Back when I had an advanced plan, my server did go down once, but it was put back up within a couple of hours. Try joining the IRC chatroom, at server irc.swiftirc.net and channel #obtrix Shared packages seem to have more issues than individual boxes, as all members are sharing the computers resources.

Old

Needless to say, if your not in the country where the server is located, forget about speed. Purchased the "ultra" plan dedicated? feels more like 10 sharing. When I ordered, I was given 50GB instead of 70GB and they will fix it shortly which gives me the impression that I was given the non-dedicated plan or undercapped plan and then bumped up the hard drive space. With download speeds already defaulting to my maximum download, this was not a good sign...
The VPS keeps dropping offline. During the first two weeks, they were quick to respond and a simple reset was all it needed, now its going on 4 days without service and still no reply.
Want proof? [edited out obvious info]
View Ticket #
Department: Support
Date: 19/01/2009 20:40
Subject: No Seedbox for 4 days, No replys to emails,
Urgency: High
Root Password (if related to question):
|| Client 19/01/2009 20:40
Below is the email replys stating that I have no connection, I was replied to very fast before, zero response now for 4 days.
99.9% up. Its, now a total of 5 days down including initial email from prior.
Ticket ID: #
Subject: I don't see nextork issue but havn't been able to login since 1:45AM
Ticket URL: www obtrix net /billing/ viewticket.php
----------------------------------------------
|| Client 04/01/2009 18:41
Still no access to seedbox.
Josh Moka || Staff 04/01/2009 21:48
Hey, It works for me here.
XXXXXX obtrix net/index.php
Josh
obtrix net
Simple. Solid. Superior.
How would you rate this reply? Poor Excellent
|| Client 16/01/2009 04:44
seedbox is down
Guy Morin || Client 18/01/2009 23:56
January 18th, seedbox is down still. anybody?
----------------------------
IP Address:
For a $50 dollar plan that I got discounted with a coupon, I sure as heck feel raped on this job.
If you go to the members area of the site, knowledgebase is empty. Files are nonexistant, its lite a fake store front. I kept scratching my head as to whether or not this is truely where I'm suppose to be. The only portion of the, 10 to 12 icons that have action is Billing, my tickets, my emails.
I sure as heck closed this account even though I still have time remaining. I guess when they realize your not staying, the value of you disappears and the true company comes through.
Also, expect very short answers to questions. Such as, what is Many FTP accounts??? Inquired sub accounts and admin controls but the response I got was that its a new service to the plan and not available to the alreadly labeled Ultra Seedbox account. Only available to new clients of same account??? What more do they have to add to the Top End Seedbox or $$ to give someone a break.
[now this is from a REAL customer]

Old

I believe you are truthful in what you are experiencing with your service, and I agree that those speeds and response times are terrible. Though usually support tickets are received by the staff and responded to fairly quickly, in some cases (Like when I first got my box) they did not receive any of my support tickets either. As for my current service, I'm uploading at 5MBps and in four days have uploaded 1.2TB. Max speeds (at least for me) are not 1MBps, and I am getting what my plan says I am.
Also, the company is not in the United Kingdom, it's in New Zealand, with servers hosted in Australia, Chicago US, and and France.

Old

I don't think they could let me link to a pic right now but I have a screen shot of my maximum speed I ever achieved. My ISP speed smoked it. Doesn't matter, you request a refund and they sue you for $1000. LOL. Their TOS.
Time Warner must be doing some serious bandwith shaping to stall the service via VPS. Even though that violates their TOS. This would be the second seedbox experience. Santrex gives me the 12MB/s download and like Obtrix, at most, 1MB/s upload.
I'm about ready to do something that has Haxorware on it after a chat with someone from my ISP.
s282 . photobucket . com/albums/kk247/gmorin2/?action=view&current=seedingaround7Mbit.jpg
But there is zero excuse for the 5 day delay in zero service.

Old

So I guess Im not the only one with ticket issues. At least your accounts are up and running. Mine is not working at all and its been 48hs now. No response to my tickets. Went to their IRC chan and got some sort of reply from a staff member by the nickname of R0bert who told me that my account is on a server managed by some guy by the nick of bhavic and that the only thing he did was to tell me that there was some problems with the server...
Ill wait for another 24hs and then I will see what I should do. Im glad Ive only paid for the basic seedbox service to try this company forget about upgrading.

Old

I sure as heck closed this account even though I still have time remaining. I guess when they realize your not staying, the value of you disappears and the true company comes through.
this one made me think...my seedbox went down around 24 hours after I scheduled the cancel (scheduled for the end of billing cycle) and what pisses me off even more is that I had almost 1 month until the end of the billing cycle.
Sent a ticket, already 24 hours without answer (near 48...)
my poor money, next time I'll just get a server at OVH (it's what they were using), almost the same price.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

ovh prob shut it off they dont allow illllegal torents

Old

Just received an e-mail from obtrix:
We're extremely sorry about the downtime and long ticket-reply. Some of our boxes were compromised and we have lost access to the boxes. We will be re-building your box and sending out your login info ASAP. You WILL lose all torrents and data. We will extend your next due date by 14 days as an apology. Our current servers are being re-built.
Never forget...security is a must on a server
Also if it was OVH shutting servers down they would put all of the servers from that client (obtrix) down, not just a few, since at least one of their servers (that I know of) was still working.

Old

Just received an e-mail from obtrix:
Never forget...security is a must on a server
Also if it was OVH shutting servers down they would put all of the servers from that client (obtrix) down, not just a few, since at least one of their servers (that I know of) was still working.
Interesting you say this because my other seedbox is down as well and it too is offline for about 48 hours and it was OVH Santrex. What a cha ching of cash on their side. Don't demand money back people. Read your TOS.

Old

So I guess Im not the only one with ticket issues. At least your accounts are up and running. Mine is not working at all and its been 48hs now. No response to my tickets. Went to their IRC chan and got some sort of reply from a staff member by the nickname of R0bert who told me that my account is on a server managed by some guy by the nick of bhavic and that the only thing he did was to tell me that there was some problems with the server...
Ill wait for another 24hs and then I will see what I should do. Im glad Ive only paid for the basic seedbox service to try this company forget about upgrading.
That shot was when it WAS working at at its maximum speed I could get. I had to take a shot because I was so "blown away by its speed from how much I spent on the crap box.
Its just to hard to go by anybody's recommendations about seedboxes at all because there are so many variables to it that even the same service to one person is completely different to another. It blows my mind.
When I went (still running --- off at the moment) with Santrex), the uploads were not doing it for me. Downloads were hitting 12MB/s WHich is well over the 100 duplex but uploads were never above 500K give or take. The Tech couldn't figure it out. Put me on a lone non shared account on a fresh server they just built and it still would not give me the upload. So I went the proxy to the seedbox route. Doesn't matter there because by the time my IP is given and sent, and I receive a proxy, the lease is expired and renders the proxy useless.
So tech says you sould just find a dedicated server closer to your location, etc. Enter Obtix. Never asked about location, they keep changing their plans and services that I dont' even know what I qualify for. (None of the newly unrestricted stuff since I ordered before they implemented the restricted max per account even on the highest account they had). So it was dedicated, may ftps (which I have no idea what that means, other than connecting to same ftp account consecutively but all is well and good until your bandwith is reached downloading the file and the reason for the box in the first place.
There are so many double standards. TOS says dont' use seedbox for downloading copyrighted material yet when I talk to Santrex about my speed problems, tech would say that there is speed on their end using the box downloading from "NordiacT private P2P site" yet when I question about my problems they call me on using the box for "seeding" on another private p2p site. Big, Big double standard there. I have records, etc, but let me clear the air, we are cool with Santrex now. I even went up to the owner or something talking to him and once I mentioned what I just stated and I have records as well of the communication, It was pretty much a mute point.
Getting back to Obtrix, I see from boards that even calling VPS, torrent anything is just begging the propriety of the actual server owner to swoop down but never actually cut the cord. I was just happy that I could seed in the UK around a meg a second on a dedicated server upload albeit a good chunk of change from members responses gathered to get a dedicated server instead. To me, it didn't work, both are down and now, with the lovey caps coming down the pipe and probably wind of this to scirt this, $$$ may be the end all. Now its time to move on to plan "B" and I'm so excited. Good luck people, I'm glad I wasn't the only person on the planet with Issues with Obtrix. Seemed like a good choice but with the word torrent attached to the purchase of the vechile i'm using regardless of the specifics, I don't go to Best Buy and purchase a 50 pack of DVD's nor or they made like that because people buy in bulk. Do I question the person buying to 24 packs of toilet paper for the increase in sewage fee's? Surely doesn't imply this person just downed all 48 rolls in a week and we are just talking about a single person here.
N.

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Electronic Communications Privacy Act Needs Overhaul, White House Says Web Hosting News 2014-05-02 14:04:33
Review Group Releases Recommendations for Government Access to Private Data Web Hosting News 2013-12-24 09:51:22
Nominet Seeks Feedback on Banning Offensive .UK Domain Registrations Web Hosting News 2013-09-13 15:25:36
A Farewell and Thank You Note from Liam Eagle Blog 2013-02-15 16:47:19
Nicole Henderson Named Editor in Chief of the Web Host Industry Review Web Hosting News 2013-02-12 13:40:41