Thread: Mind if i share

Mind if i share

I know their are alot of good webhosts out there. Some not known amongst the public, and some new.

I was looking in the forum and found a couple. I checked out their sites just to see what deals they offer, so i will only list the names and its up to you to evalluate them.
    If you know any of them out of experience or know any usefull information, share them.
    And pls list other names of webhosts you think that are good.
    No need for any particular specifications, just names so that everyone can check them out on their own. Thanks.

My list:
    -www.FutureQuest.net
    -www.site5.com
    -www.f5hosting.com
    -www.lightningservers.net
    -www.downtownhost.com
    -www.myacen.com
    -www.hostingmatters.com
    -www.dixiesys.com
    -www.dot5hosting.com

Note: In my opinion they are quite good, im not too much of an expert, but hey its not bad if we all share what we know.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you for including us in that list
      0 Not allowed!

Hehe ei Mat, no i havent forgetten you. Your in my other list
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry if i didnt mention everyone, Im not too much of an expert when i have to analyze these things.

Its just a list of webhosts, basically.

A list as a reference for anyone to check out and evaluate for themselves
      0 Not allowed!

www.hostsearch.com
    www.tophosts.com
    For bigger lists with customer feedback!
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Mind if i share

Originally posted by Kriz
    . . . . . . In my opinion they are quite good, im not too much of an expert, but hey its not bad if we all share what we know.
    Have you had experience with *any* of them?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Rewdog
    www.hostsearch.com
    www.tophosts.com
    For bigger lists with customer feedback!
    Good idea! It's always best to go with the opinion of actual customers. People that have actually used the service, instead of drawing some half baked conclusion on what they *believe* their service would be.
      0 Not allowed!

I know their are alot of good webhosts out there. Some not known amongst the public, and some new.
    If you know ... any usefull information, share them.

My list:
    -www.FutureQuest.net
    -www.site5.com
    -www.f5hosting.com
    -www.lightningservers.net
    -www.downtownhost.com
    -www.myacen.com
    -www.hostingmatters.com
    -www.dixiesys.com
    -www.dot5hosting.com

Exciting ramblings follow:

FutureQuest.net gets a thumbs up from me for owning their domain name longer than I have owned mine. Seems they started off January 15 1998 which tells me "Hey we've been around for awhile, we're not disappearing anytime soon either." Their IP allocation is from Qwest, which says they aren't using much of a middle man for connectivity, and in the end greater network reliability to me that I know they can really guarantee. I get 50ms from rackshack to them. A lot of clicking (two clicks) to find the webhosting prices, but you can get a reliable account here for $20 paid monthly.

site5.com March 17, 1999. Another host that has been around for some time, keeping a bigger picture in mind. www.site5.com appears to be located with Net Access Corporation which has a good reputation for being solid and reliable. 48ms traceroute from rs. No setup fee, $8 monthly (7 if paid yearly). Lots of features.

f5hosting.com is relatively new, registered May 4 2001 - and using IP address space of Net Depot, Inc. Every host I've found using their allocation has a link with cogent as is true in this case, but again that does not mean that is their only connection. Traceroute from rs, 32ms. Their site does have a live support link, however it was unavailable at the time of my viewing. Pricing starts at $10 per month.

lightningservers.net created May 28, 2002 - Net Depot, Inc. allocated IP address space, 32ms from rs. Very green. This could be the next verio, I cannot judge them based on connetivity and domain name creation date alone. But then again I am just trying to help potential clients in their decision by providing information already for them. Their web site did take a little while to load for me, but I am accross the ocean (sprint only has 50ms SLA from Hawaii to Cali) and am using wireless at the moment so I will attribute the slowness to those 2 factors. They have images of Aleron Level3 and Cogent on their site, so they should have excellent uptime guarantee and SLA to back it as well. Like a free day every 15 minutes of downtime for their shared hosting. Pricing does seem realistic for these guys as well, they should be around awhile. Pricing starts at $10 monthly.

downtownhost.com - April 27 2001 - <EDIT> - I was incorrect in my original research (I must have goofed, sorry). These guys are located with Ventures Online for their hosting (www.venturesonline.com). </EDIT> However, when I went to visit their site I was very impressed by it's layout and visual appeal (I really like it). They let you choose between Cpanel or Hsphere accounts (not Ensim as previously written, I goofed), and have extremely realistic pricing set up. I hope to see these guys last a long time. Cost, about $8 per month.

myacen.com - I touched on similarly in an earlier post. Summary:
    August 6, 2000 domain registration. NOTE they registered through 2012 which to me says they are serious about being there for the long haul. I've done the same thing with my domain name and that was my intent. 32ms via cogent on the traceroute. Costs to host here will run you an amazing $6 per month.

hostingmatters.com - Also touched on earlier. Summary: May 7 2000 domain registration, 32ms over cogent. It's always hard to tell with the new registrations. Is the owner going to get burned out and leave? How committed are they? Only the future knows (Deb? Tell us! ) When I went back to view their website it took quite some time to load. I hope it was because of system backups! (It is about 5am their time zone right now). Accounts here start at $6 per month.

dixiesys.com - August 31 2001 - Hosted by Everyone's Internet! My traceroute to you is 0.219ms so I feel that I am cheating there. As we all know, rackshack has a lot of connections to the internet that can carry quite a lot of load. I myself wish they would have an aggregated graph of them all. These guys use Ensim for your site control, so if you LOVE ensim and are looking for affordable hosting consider with these guys. They have $4 per month accounts.

dot5hosting.com - March 7, 2002 domain name registration. I believe that makes them relatively new- but I believe they do have drive for success as they have some banners up around here on WHT. Also hosted by Everyones Internet. I am unable to complete a traceroute to dot5's server, so I will assume they are filtering ICMP on the box since I can still load the page. In that event, these guys get points from a security point of view. These guys seem to offer a lot on their packages which is a good thing to see (jsp, miva). They don't look just like everybody else out there, good job guys! $7 monthly will start you out on a Dot One account.

I hope this will be useful to some of you in your future decisions for web hosting. For those hosts on the list, I wish you the best of luck and a prosperous future. And to Kriz, don't post so many next time I am exhausted
    Last edited by rbuecker; 09-18-2002 at 04:48 AM.
    Darkscape Inc - Web Hosting
    █ 24x7x365 Phone/Helpdesk Support
    █ 1-888-DARKSCAPE (888-327-5722)
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by RackNine

I wouldn't feel to bad, I don't think we made the cut either

Myacen used my whois script so I give them 2 thumbs up!

-Matt
    Hey Matt,

That script is great Im still trying to intergrate it with modernbill
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!
      0 Not allowed!

Oh, what about me!! Look at me! Look at me! I need business. You forgot me. Please I'm begging... include me. I'll give you my left arm. Oh, please next time include me.... this is killing me that I was excluded. I could lose business here at these public forums. I mean, you should have listed all 18,000 host. I am offended. Look, I'll be your monkey. I'm dancing for your nickel, please don't leave me off next time.

umbillycordhost - Umbillycordhost. Remember me.

0 Not allowed!

Kriz,

Please include Umbillycordhost in the list of hosts you're recommending that you've never used.

Thank you for your cooperation.

btw, did you use to post as someone else here?
      0 Not allowed!

As a sidenote, Dixiesys.com uses both Plesk and Ensim. They only recently deviated from exclusive Plesk use.

They have very reasonable reseller plans. Uptime very good.

-WC-
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Kriz,

Please include Umbillycordhost in the list of hosts you're recommending that you've never used.

Thank you for your cooperation.

btw, did you use to post as someone else here?
    Thank you for the support. Thank you.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

Thank you for the support. Thank you.
    Thank you for being such a great host!
    Of all the hosts I've never used, I'm sure UmBillyCordHost is the best!
      0 Not allowed!

. . . . . . . . In my opinion they are quite good, . . . . .
    Are any of them the host you chose to use just yesterday?
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you for being such a great host!
    Of all the hosts I've never used, I'm sure UmBillyCordHost is the best!
    Are you being extremely sarcastic, or do you need to be backhanded by a moderator?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by rbuecker

Are you being extremely sarcastic, or do you need to be backhanded by a moderator?
    mmmmmm . . . . . . . backhanded

If I were doing that other part; I would never admit it.
      0 Not allowed!

Out of that list, go with FutureQuest. Read over some of the posts that Deb from FutureQuest has made on this forum -- if the customers are treated with the same amount of thought that goes into her posts I'm sure they're an excellent hosting company.
    Jeremy [email protected]
    Front Drive Advanced multi-domain hosting solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Great thanks for the info by everyone, especially to rbuecker for the usefull information. Ill try to make it longer next time
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by tribby
    Out of that list, go with FutureQuest. Read over some of the posts that Deb from FutureQuest has made on this forum -- if the customers are treated with the same amount of thought that goes into her posts I'm sure they're an excellent hosting company.
    Don't believe that for a minute. That Deb is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Did you see the pictures of their DC? See the pictures of her kids working? That was taken at 3 AM!!!

0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

Don't believe that for a minute. That Deb is a wolf in sheeps clothing. Did you see the pictures of their DC? See the pictures of her kids working? That was taken at 3 AM!!!

Ahhh come on now. Aren't you exaggerating just a bit? I've attached a picture. I wouldn't say "wolf" would you?

p.s. thanks for the kudos to those who gave them
    As for you UmBillyCord ... we'll talk later
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails notquitewolf.jpg  
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Mind if i share

Exciting ramblings follow:

downtownhost.com - April 27 2001 - Net Depot, Inc. 32ms over cogent. I'm really running out of things to say ... yarr! However, when I went to visit their site I was very impressed by it's layout and visual appeal (I really like it). They offer Ensim or Hsphere accounts, and have extremely realistic pricing set up. I hope to see these guys last a long time. Cost, about $8 per month.

Let me correct you here, we don't have servers at Netdepot, neither we use Cogent Bandwidth

Also, we offer Cpanel and H-Sphere accounts, not Ensim
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Kris, let me introduce to your list to venturesonline.com, GREAT service.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Re: Mind if i share

Originally posted by Jedito

Let me correct you here, we don't have servers at Netdepot, neither we use Cogent Bandwidth

Also, we offer Cpanel and H-Sphere accounts, not Ensim
    I must have wrote someone elses info for you, I am extremely sorry. I've made the changes in the original post.
      0 Not allowed!

It's Ok, not big deal
      0 Not allowed!

So it's rbuecker that's the wolf in sheeps....... well nevermind
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community
      0 Not allowed!

Just a small example of what happens when someone recommends something they have no experience with.

I have nothing against the companies. But, I find it particularly annoying to see so many posts by members that have not used a service to recommend that to others. Recommendations based on experience can be a great tool. But recommendations based on assumption shows poor judgement.

Deb still looks like a wolf among the sheep. We need the t-shirt pic!
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 09-18-2002 at 06:54 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Just a small example of what happens when someone recommends something they have no experience with.

I have nothing against the companies. But, I find it particularly annoying to see so many posts by members that have not used a service to recommend that to others. Recommendations based on experience can be a great tool. But recommendations based on assumption shows poor judgement.

Deb still looks like a wolf among the sheep. We need the t-shirt pic!
    For clarification the list makes no recommendation. What it does is briefly summarizes what I was able to find to help others in their quest for a reliable host that would meet and surpass their needs.

I don't think anyone except you was confused, but I will help even the most unfortunate.

Cheers.
      0 Not allowed!

For clarification the list makes no recommendation. What it does is briefly summarizes what I was able to find to help others in their quest for a reliable host that would meet and surpass their needs.

I don't think anyone except you was confused, but I will help even the most unfortunate.

Cheers.
    I'm going on what the thread starter stated when, in another thread, he said:
    Originally posted by Kriz in this thread
    I posted a last thread that was named 'cut to the chase'
    Why is it so hard to suggest to people what webhosts are good and what arent.
    Im going to make a new thread i hope this will enlighten the community a bit and get people to really start talking (out of experience) about which webhosts are that and that
    Back on topic . . . . .

Oh yes. Please help out this unfortunate. Please explain the difference between, "help others in their quest for a reliable host that would meet and surpass their needs" and "recommend."
      0 Not allowed!

No, I was confused too.

You would do well to learn some respect too.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

No, I was confused too.

You would do well to learn some respect too.
      0 Not allowed!

Learn the hard way then you must.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Deb is like the mama of webhosting She'll take care of you. Many WHTers probably wouldn't like the family atomsphere of their forums.
    Get your certificate of knowification autographed by REW!
    Visit rewdog.com for details.
      0 Not allowed!