Question Win2k sever w/full Terminal Services admin?

As the subject might portray.... I'm new to researching this whole dedicated server idea.

But what I'm looking for is just full access via Terminal Sevices to a win2k server. Now the harder part, , I don't want to spend much more than $200 a month.

Is this possible? Also, how do most places give you admin access if you don't have something like terminal services?

TIA

it is possible to get a Win2k box for $200/m with full access but it all depend on which provider you go with.

try fastserver.net, their w2k server starts from 138 / month.

u need 'terminal service client' to log into the server.

200 is doable, but you need to expect that the box is not going to be at the same level of cpu or ram or drive space as the linux box at the same price.

expect 200 to get you a good box. 20 gig hd, 126 ram, 750 to 950 cpu

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Thanks for the replies. I know I'm being picky here but 128mb of ram is kind of useless anymore. That barely makes the min req of win2k server.

Thanks for the fastserver.net rec...can anyone else post a few more. When I was searching it was becoming a huge pain in the azz because of soooo many out there. Plus they never give you total prices up front.

Will I get speeds of T1 or better to and from these servers?

Originally posted by swalters01

Will I get speeds of T1 or better to and from these servers?
    that depends, your question is not correct, any server can dump out 1.35 mbits of data, the question should be more like

a) what is the expect realistic output of a 200 win server

answer about 200 to 400kbit's if the applications are just win server, add on mssql then that would drop to about 200 kbit's ( this is thinking that the 20 gig drive is a 10K or 15k speed drive )
    if you can get to a gig and tune the server you can easily double it.

tuning a win server is the hardest task I have ever done. I don't think that thier is another person that will disagree with me. that's why I pay someone to tell me the best configurations for the objective's i need. then i tune from that point on.

Mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

Windows 2000 eats RAM like there's no tomorrow.. Typically you would want a minimum of 512 Mb and 1 or 2 Gb would be better..

Here's a stat from my server..
    http://ophelus.com/ts_task_manager.gif

Half the RAM is served just to windows and a few process's

Terminal Services Client Technology Comes with Windows 2000 Server there's also a ActiveX control which is on MS's site and floating all over the .NET that will let you log in from a web page (MS's way of competing with the Java control for VNC even if citrix is the author of TS)

You could control 2000 Server through MMC, VNC and or install SSH there's really a thousand different ways you can control 2000 but your best bet's are Terminal Services and a web based Control Panel

Originally posted by Ophelus
    Windows 2000 eats RAM like there's no tomorrow.. Typically you would want a minimum of 512 Mb and 1 or 2 Gb would be better..

Here's a stat from my server..
    http://ophelus.com/ts_task_manager.gif

Half the RAM is served just to windows and a few process's

Terminal Services Client Technology Comes with Windows 2000 Server there's also a ActiveX control which is on MS's site and floating all over the .NET that will let you log in from a web page (MS's way of competing with the Java control for VNC even if citrix is the author of TS)

You could control 2000 Server through MMC, VNC and or install SSH there's really a thousand different ways you can control 2000 but your best bet's are Terminal Services and a web based Control Panel
    took a quick look at mine, I think you and me should talk off forum for some tuning tricks, your running to hot and high on the memory but then again thier might have been some other applications running at the same time

Mike

*******.com

Check out www.*******.com

They offer a full access W2K dedicated server at a really good price, starting from $150 / mo.

I am about to get a W2k server from them too. I am currently inquiring about their service from a friend of mine who host there.

Good luck with your dedicated server pursue

eRr

You may want to do a search for ******* here before you buy, they have been having a lot of problems as of late:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...der=descending
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"