eNom will no longer move reseller accounts!

Here's the reply I just received from eNom, followed by my original email:
    Date: 9/16/2002 15:31:51 -0700
    To: mrzippy
    Subject: RE: How to move to a different reseller?

We cannot move sub-accounts from one reseller to another. At one time it was a possibility, but that was only for a very short time - it is not a programming option any longer as it caused great conflict with sub-accounts and commissions.

Therefore if you wish to move to another reseller, you need to open a new account with them, and push your domains to that account (or transfer them as they come up for renewal.)

The same holds true for any sub-accounts under you...

=================================
    Laurie Krick, Client Relations Manager
    eNom Inc.
    Phone: 425-883-8860 x207
    Fax: 425-883-3553
    www.enom.com
    "An ICANN Accredited Registrar"

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 13:34
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: How to move to a different reseller?

Hi Laurie,

I have heard conflicting stories with regard to my question.

I would like to know if it is possible to "move" from one reseller to
    another. My understanding was that I would simply need the permission of my existing "parent" reseller. I have many sub-accounts (resellers) of my own, and I need to know if they will stay under me if it is possible to move.

In other words, the only thing that should change is my parent
    reseller. (Assuming my existing reseller gives permission for the move.)

Is this possible?
    So.. it looks like the ability to move to a "better priced" reseller is no longer an option. And, if your current reseller changes your pricing.. you are screwed.

I sincerely hope that everyone who is looking for an eNom reseller account reads the short email exchange above and SERIOUSLY considers the person/company who is about to become their parent reseller. Do you trust them with your business?

I have heard too many stories of people offering low domain prices of $6.95 only to make them higher later on. Now, it seems that the sub-account/reseller is screwed for good since they are no longer able to move to another reseller.. unless they're willing to give up all of their own sub-account resellers.

The moral of this story: Be VERY careful who you pick to be your parent reseller.

Be warned that sometimes you will get exactly what you pay for. I'm not saying that everyone who offers a super-low priced account is bad or evil.. but you need to think about how this person is actually going to make money. If they aren't making anything except the initial setup fee, then be especially careful.

I encourage everyone who is looking for an eNom reseller account to ask around the forums for recommendations. Read the posts. Treat your choice EXACTLY like you would choose a new host. Ask questions and evaluate the responses. Be careful folks.

Good luck to everyone!
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-16-2002 at 09:43 PM.

You are not screwed at all really, as Laurie said. Simply open a new reseller account and use the "push" feature. You do not need your top level resellers permission to do this, it is in effect your account and you can do as you please with it..
    GURU Cloud Hosting and Managed Dedicated Servers and Colocation at Centro, Hemel Hempstead.
    All supported by our own onsite team.

Originally posted by Craig
    You are not screwed at all really, as Laurie said. Simply open a new reseller account and use the "push" feature. You do not need your top level resellers permission to do this, it is in effect your account and you can do as you please with it..
    That's true. But the point I'm trying to make is directed to people who plan to create their own sub-account resellers. (For example, I have about 600 of them!)

Then you're screwed, because if I wanted to move to a different "parent" reseller I would not be able to take all my reseller sub-accounts with me. (Since I can't push their domains, and it is totally unreasonable to expect all 600 of my resellers to voluntarily push their domains.. and what if THEY have their own reseller sub-accounts?)
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

What does actually happen if say, I created a reseller with a 7$ a year account then they created one.. for 7$ an account.. then I put up the first reseller account to 8$. Does it not keep the old pricing?

Craig.
    GURU Cloud Hosting and Managed Dedicated Servers and Colocation at Centro, Hemel Hempstead.

What does actually happen if say, I created a reseller with a 7$ a year account then they created one.. for 7$ an account.. then I put up the first reseller account to 8$. Does it not keep the old pricing?
    I'm not sure, because I tend not to screw the people who have reseller sub-accounts under me. (So I've never tried it.)

But since you can't create a sub-account with lower pricing then your own account, I suspect the "sub-sub-account" pricing might automatically get raised too. Maybe someone wants to test this out by creating a bunch of test accounts?

Good question!
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

I would test this.. however, none of my sub account holders seem to be online at the moment (typical!

Craig

status

You cannot change prices if there is any conflict within your chain of connected accounts, eg outstanding orders, or prices somewhere that don't equate.. well this was the case a week before last.. and unless the enom dev's have changed that since, it will be like that now..

A simple price agreement would be helpful here.. and if a *sub* reseller is going to be spending a lot of money, then it isn't too much to ask for.

While you can push your domains to another account, you can't do anything with money that you might have deposited into that account.

This change in eNom's policy will be interesting.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

If your enom provider close your account you can put your account to any other reseller for free.

I would test this.. however, none of my sub account holders seem to be online at the moment (typical!

Craig
    Craig,
    If you changed the price list for one sub-reseller, it won't affect other sub-reseller pricing.

Cheers,
    em.
    WirelessCon.Com BlackHat.INFO Business.NU

I think Craig is referring to the question of whether changing pricing for a sub-reseller affects his (that subreseller's) children, not the siblings. In other words, whether the price change affects -

Parent -> sub -> sub

not,

Parent -> sub
    -> sub

(we all know that each sub reseller under one parent gets their own unique pricing).

Peter