how to get detagged .co.uk domains?

There are a lot of .co.uk domains which are detagged and left alone and no can register these domains again. I don't understand why they do this. If the domain is not renewed by the original owner, why don't they just let someone else register it agian like other tld's do?

Perhaps, there is way to register these names once again - if so, is anyone aware how to register the detagged names?

thanks

I believe any nominet member can pickup detagged domains. Nominet just need the appropriate fax from the admin contact.

Fax from original admin? For all we know, the original admin is not interested in renewing and has abandoned the name or may be they are no longer at that contact email/tel/fax. Of course, once I approach them they are gonna want me to pay a premium because now suddenly the dead domain will have a value.

Why doesn't nominet allow others to register the domain? Is that some UK policy or is this something similar to what network solutions does (ie. sit on an expired domain for as long as they want to). After all, what exactly do they accomplish by not allowing others to register the domain. If the original owner is not renewing that means it should be available for others to register.

im sure if you send a polite email to nominet they would explain.

detagged domain names recovered

There is a service called SnatchBack! at www.detagged.co.uk that has already got some of my friends some good drops recently.

You register a detagged domain that you want and they monitor it round the clock and register the domain for you as soon as it becomes available.

Ok, thank you - both. Has anyone else used detagged.co.uk? If so, comment please.