Mbps connections.........

If you had a choice which would you prefer a 10Mbps set to full or 8Mbps burstable?

8Mbps burstable, since you have more bandwidth when you need it.

whats the difference lol? sorry im a noob.

Depends on the price, what you need, how much you use, etc.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Price is 399.00 10Mbps full

or 510.00 8Mbps burstable...

Free IP's for each, 1U per Mbps for each,,

and it will be for basic hosting applications,, and not much dynamic content..
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Originally posted by jdp29053
    Price is 399.00 10Mbps full

or 510.00 8Mbps burstable...

Free IP's for each, 1U per Mbps for each,,

and it will be for basic hosting applications,, and not much dynamic content..

go the 10mbps, odds are in you rfavor that when you do need the full ten you would have already had the cash flow to justify it.

mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.

why is the 8mbps so much more?

ok say your site is 5mbps all week long but on the weekend is totally flooded and could burst 15mbit or 20mbits

well with 10mbit capped you saturate out your port on the weekends on dont push your full 10 on the weekdays. and with the 8mbit burstable and i'm assuming its based on monthly average you can burst to 100mbit on the weekends as long as your average balances out to 8mbit overall the month.

so

10mbit unburstable (capped) for steady traffic no big traffic spikes
    8mbit burstable to 100mbit for not so steady and bursts above 10mbit

hope that clears it up

Originally posted by zdwebhosting
    ok say your site is 5mbps all week long but on the weekend is totally flooded and could burst 15mbit or 20mbits

well with 10mbit capped you saturate out your port on the weekends on dont push your full 10 on the weekdays. and with the 8mbit burstable and i'm assuming its based on monthly average you can burst to 100mbit on the weekends as long as your average balances out to 8mbit overall the month.

so

10mbit unburstable (capped) for steady traffic no big traffic spikes
    8mbit burstable to 100mbit for not so steady and bursts above 10mbit

hope that clears it up
    If its noncogent I doubt it would be average. Most likely 95% tile on the 8Mbit burstable.

Originally posted by Dilhole

If its noncogent I doubt it would be average. Most likely 95% tile on the 8Mbit burstable.
    just upto the provider how they bill it

and just currious i know how to get average just look @ mrtg montly average but what about 95%ile? how do they get that?

zdwebhosting, thanks now its a lot clearer. I finally think i understand what a burstably connection is....but how do they average it...like what if you sign up on a weekend and it goes over 8Mbps, does that mean your already above your average, considering you havnt yet gone under 8mpbs to bring the average down?

Originally posted by bandwidth
    zdwebhosting, thanks now its a lot clearer. I finally think i understand what a burstably connection is....but how do they average it...like what if you sign up on a weekend and it goes over 8Mbps, does that mean your already above your average, considering you havnt yet gone under 8mpbs to bring the average down?
    well if its based on monthly average you can use mrtg (i'm assuming you know what this is) if not pm me

and you can look @ the monthly graph it has in out, average under it and that is where you see the monthly average

/edit mrtg does the average itself if its charged on that method

The problem is i would like to resale space off of the servers im going to have located with this connection,, im afraid if i use the 10Mbps set to full i may run into problems...

One of my problems right now is that all the IP's are assigned to the subnet which is a subnet of /27 over the 10U of space, and i have no means of limiting bandwidth or measuring on this subnet...

The providor doesnt generally allow those features so the cost are high...
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!

Why not get a managed switch to connect all the servers to and run MRTG on each port?

I need a solution to limit bandwidth and assign IP's on the subnet.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!

no thats not the way regular hosting goes maybe when selling a *mbps line capped but not anything normal or regular

do this.

buy the 8mbit line and then hook all the servers up to it via the switch then setup mrtg on each port of it and then your customers can use so much now if they go over charge them extra.

dont just cut them off, that way they dont scream when thier customers sites go down and you still are'nt losing anything.

And for the IP assignment?
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!

Originally posted by jdp29053
    And for the IP assignment?
    not really sure as i'm not into selling dedicated servers wait for another to chime in glad i could help.