Thread: whats an API?

whats an API?

Hiya,

Sorry this may seem like a dum question but whats an API?

I keep hearing about it in the threads but I haven't been able to find any information regarding what it is..

Is there any technical stuff that needs to be known to be a reseller of domains? or is it pretty simple once you get into it?

Thanks in advance,

Salsabil

advanced programming interface. It can be a set of functions classes or tools to help the programmer use pre-existing elements to decrease programming time.

Re: whats an API?

Originally posted by salsabil
    Is there any technical stuff that needs to be known to be a reseller of domains? or is it pretty simple once you get into it?
    No, you don't need to know programming languages to be a reseller, everything will be done through Control Panel. Some knowledge of domain name system would be enough for you to start.
    AceWebHosting.Com
    Cheap Web Hosting - Multiple Domain Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Virtual Private Server

You don't have to be programmer or technically equipped to do this business, though you have to understand the business for your investment sake.
    WirelessCon.Com BlackHat.INFO Business.NU

Salsabil,

API = Application Programming Interface.

Most of the Domain Registrars have a simple interface or template interface that you can use. It allows you to register easily, but does not have a lot of flexability or let you make it look like the rest of your site.

The API is a set of commands that you embed in your webpages (usually perl or php but some have a .asp interface as well). In a very simplified example the commands would be things like "check domain availability", "register domain" etc.

Make sense?

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Originally posted by Neosurge
    advanced programming interface. It can be a set of functions classes or tools to help the programmer use pre-existing elements to decrease programming time.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist posting that (Maturity? What's that again?). Anyways, Frank said it well.

Originally posted by no1v2

Sorry, I just couldn't resist posting that (Maturity? What's that again?). Anyways, Frank said it well.
    I dont understand what you are talking about? I just tried to help him out...

He was just being stupid, dont worry about it

Cheers,

hiya

thanks for the info everyone

so does API give more flexibility to make it look more like your homepage?

you would think i would learn more at uni doing information systems but it seems they haven't taught me much real info

I can usually pick up languages ok since we do C++, and Java etc but I prefer not to Generally when I finish the programming subjects all i can remember is #include <iostream>

and p.s. im not a him

thanks again

Salsabil

Yes,

the whole purpose of the API is to allow easier integration into your website.