Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by DougK94
    I got them to upgrade to PLESK 5. It took me 2 emails to sales giving them the authorization to do this and the authorization to charge my credit card. Their fee is a one time $49.95 per server.
    yes i just got that info via pm from webreseller

thanks though.

Colocation facilities are one thing, I mean, not too many companies have the $$$ laying around to build a nice datacenter.... that's why we are proud of our datacenter relationships. But I'm curious about something else...

How many colocation companies out there actually operate their own network? How many *claim* that they operate their own network but really don't? We started as a backbone provider, and colo came secondly, so our strength lies in the network. I've looked at some of the competition, and while everyone talks about BGP and "their" network/backbone, I've found that very few have anything more than a connection to a provider that they are reselling. For example, with the company in this discussion, a quick query on a route-server of choice (route-views.oregon-ix.net is a good one) will reveal that they in fact don't operate any kind of "network" and that they don't even have an AS announcing any netblocks:

br01.lax01#sh ip bgp 66.54.216.242
    BGP routing table entry for 66.54.216.0/22, version 24470341
    Paths: (6 available, best #3, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
    Not advertised to any peer
    16631 6461 3356 6517
    66.250.3.40 from 66.250.3.40 (66.28.1.19)
    Origin IGP, metric 1000, localpref 149, weight 100, valid, external
    Community: 1089930216
    16631 6461 3356 6517, (received-only)
    66.250.3.40 from 66.250.3.40 (66.28.1.19)
    Origin IGP, metric 40002, localpref 100, valid, external
    Community: 1089930216
    25973 2914 3356 6517
    209.189.126.241 from 209.189.126.241 (129.250.46.21)
    Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 149, weight 100, valid, external, best
    Community: 190972324 190973904 190974904
    2914 3356 6517, (received-only)
    209.189.126.241 from 209.189.126.241 (129.250.46.21)
    Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 100, valid, external
    Community: 190972324 190973904 190974904
    25973 1 6517 6517 6517 6517
    4.25.13.61 from 4.25.13.61 (4.24.1.76)
    Origin IGP, metric 100, localpref 149, weight 100, valid, external
    1 6517 6517 6517 6517, (received-only)
    4.25.13.61 from 4.25.13.61 (4.24.1.76)
    Origin IGP, metric 14418, localpref 100, valid, external

Now before I'm flamed into oblivion, I'm *not* saying this is a bad thing, or anything's wrong with it per se, and I'm not trying to pick on anyone. I just bring this up as a point of conversation.

Grant
    Grant Kirkwood | grant@mzima.net
    Mzima Networks Inc. | 888-44-MZIMA

What company are you talking about.

If its webreseller, they own and operate there datacenter. They custom built it. I know this because ive been there.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Now that's a datacenter

Check out the tour.

Oh yeah...the mods will probably zap your post saying not to advertise unless you are in the advertising forum.
    Lowest priced electronics and game systems on the web. PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, iPhone, and more.
    Contact freegamesystem@yahoo.com for details.

I don't think he was saying that. I think he was stating that Webreseller just plugs in their datacenter to a Yipes connection and that his company owns the regional backbone they are on.

Something like that....I don't know....maybe he'll tell you what he meant.
    Lowest priced electronics and game systems on the web. PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, iPhone, and more.

There are very few companies that own their own fiber and networkk backbone. We, as a matter of fact, lease about 5 miles of fiber. This fiber IS NOT owned by Yipes, it's leased by us. So to answer the question as Jbiz said, "we have built our data center from the ground up" we own everything, from the cooling systems to the drives on every servers and everything in between.

I could careless about pictures of the datacenter. I have servers with both RackShack and Webreseller. They are both great companies. Webreseller has never pulled any of my machines off their network without notifying me first.
    Dot Simple LLC
    aim: johna11en | yah: johna11en | msn: johna11en@hotmail.com | e-mail

Thumbs down

Simply look at the 'show bgp <ipnumber>' output from Mzima's post.

The total lack of Webreseller's AS number coupled with both IP numbers (209.120.181.175, 209.120.181.175) and the AS path belonging to Yipes indicates to me that Webreseller's "network" is a virtual one. They are not running BGP.

Moreover, a simple search of this forum revealed at least one of their customers domain names. After resolving the IP number and running it through ARIN guess who the IP number ultimately belongs to? Yipes.

More smoke and mirrors - unless these IP numbers are not being hosted at their Datacenter. To use BGP you need your own AS number.

Please prove me wrong by posting an IP number that has multiple AS numbers (incicating they are multihomed) leading up to Webreseller's AS number. This should be simple if they are not blowing smoke up our collective a**es.

Reasonable

Well yipes is full bgp in its own self and currently we use Yipes as our carrier.

Yipes is a combination of level 3 and genuity.

Even if we braught another carrier over the same fiber as yipes if yipes goes down they both would.

So actually what we are waiting for is Verizon to run fiber from the opposite side, and at that point we will add another carrier.

Currently we use yipes, no one is disputing that. This has nothing to do with us building our own datacenter, bringing in our own cooling and backup.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Response

Quite honestly, we are not even going to dignify you with a detailed response... We know what we have and YES, we do get our IP's from Yipes.. If we chose, we would not have to, from a management point of view this does make it very easy...

Why is it that someone make a very fair request (photos), and someone like Reasonable has got to take this so far out context it's ridiculous.

You could have cogent, verio, uunet, or whatever provider you want, the bottom line is:

Without your network being managed properly, you don not have anything. We do everything we can to guarantee a very fast network.. BGP, yes, easily we could do it, however, for performance issues we CHOOSE to do the things the way we do.. We have Level 3 as a primary, and Genuity as a backup, and soon we will have 3rd in place...Furthermore, we have a rock solid ring that guarantees us our uptime.There is a reason why Yipes is able to give us a 99.9999% network uptime...

Addition information for you Reasonable , Yipes IS NOT a service provider in the typical definition.

If you would like, we would be more then happy to arrange a tour of our center for you since you seem to think that you know everything that we are doing...

I am very sorry to everyone if this message came across negative, however, all you asked was a very simple and fair request, and someone has to purposely post something to start a flame....

Wow. Did I not say (and this is a quote) "I'm *not* saying this is a bad thing, or anything's wrong with it per se, and I'm not trying to pick on anyone. I just bring this up as a point of conversation."

And when did I say anything about the facilities or datacenter? My question was regarding a particular network. I'm a BGP engineer, this is what I do for a living. Leasing fiber has nothing to do with the kind of network I'm talking about. I'm talking about routing and IP engineering (which is what I do).

To webreseller: I didn't claim to "know everything you're doing." I claim to know your routing policy (or rather, lack therof). It's a matter of public record, and indisputable. Your IPs are announced by Yipe's AS, which means you have no control over how they are routed. If Yipes went down, you'd be down.

See for yourself. Telnet to route-views.oregon-ix.net (which has full BGP route tables from many different providers). Do "sh ip bgp (your IP here)" and look at the results. Or do a traceroute from there... "traceroute whatever" ... each hop shows what AS is announcing the respective IP of that interface.

There seem to be some misconceptions here regarding the "ownership" of IP addresses and how that relates to BGP. In reality, it doesn't. You can "own" (actually, they are SWIPed to you, but that's for another story) IPs and have them announced by someone else's AS (ie; you aren't running BGP) and on the flip side, you can have a netblock of IPs not assigned to you that you can annouce via your AS (of course your providers have to update their prefix-lists, but you get the picture).

Again... I said nothing about your datacenter, facilities, cooling, etc. I was just talking about your network from an engineering standpoint. And it wasn't even really directed at webreseller, it just happened that you were a convenient example of what I've found to be very typical.

Grant

The post was not directed at you at all, it was directed at Reasonable

webreseller: OK, please accept my apology.

Grant

Why is it that someone make a very fair request (photos), and someone like Reasonable has got to take this so far out context it's ridiculous.
    I was curious too. For all we know your servers are in someone's office somewhere next to the watermaker with a stack of legal pads on top, but I suppose if the performance and uptime is there, that's ok too.
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

I just have to say that I live about 15 minutes from webresellers data center. I have been over there many times. I saw it during construction, during the move and after the move. It is a very nice facility with good security and high quality equipment. If anyone wants to confirm the validity of the data center please feel free to contact me, I'll tell you what it looks like.

Personally I don't care who owns the IP numbers. I know that webreseller is a great company and there won't be any problems with their connectivity. As a matter of fact the reason we have as many customers as we do is because their network produces faster ping times to most parts of the US and Europe than a majority of other data centers.

Keep up the good work webreseller!!!!
    Matt Kelly
    WCiT.net
    Managed and Unmanaged
    Budget VPS, Cloud and Colocation

I have to agree I have been very happy with webreseller... The only thing I would highly suggest is faster reboots, it some times takes 2-4 hours to have my server rebooted. I would recommend working on that and you will be near perfect!

Guess the new site didn't make it up by Monday.

Robert/Webreseller...any new projection on the date, again?

Originally posted by 7out
    Guess the new site didn't make it up by Monday.

Robert/Webreseller...any new projection on the date, again?
    hehe i wonder when too.

I was just told by webreseller on AIM that they are going to do some beta testing tonight and it will go live when testing is finished.

Projected about 48 hours to live if things go well.

Rob I want to ask you onething.
    How are you connected to the backbone?
    As your provider is YIPES so can you do the reverse DNS setup. If someone wants to make the server anonymous so someone wants to hide the NOC.

As always a big secret about the datacenter. Not to bash webreseller their datacenter is great always fast never had a problem. But they never have a date its always next weekend or within a month etc...etc...... this is so unprofessional for a business not to have a deadline.

And yes Jolly they do have control over reverse DNS.
    WCSWEB.NETWORKS - 24x7 Support We're here to help anytime, day or night!
    WCSHOST.Net <- Call us (800) 590-0017 ->
    Linux based Cpanel Shared and Reseller premium Hosting with Fantastico & rvskin
    Windows based Helm Shared Premium Hosting / Remote Backup solutions

Datacenter Content

I Don't know why webhosting compines have to lie about what they have for bandwidth Etc.

just say what you have, most customers like small companies anyway.

we only have 2 Full T3 connections but for our customers that is all we need 90mbit of transfer is a lot. everyone gets caught up in OC3 this and OC12 that.
    if a host has a few OCXX and claim to have their own datacenter I can Promise you that you have heard of them. point in case pair networks not a ton of bandwidth but a TON of customers. Ever hear anyone Complain about Pair I haven't

let's face it a new startup can't afford huge bandwidth and if they do they are going to be bleeding cash
    Be honest if you are a Reseller Tell people CO Brand with your host.

--------
    Sam
    Infinet Hosting

Re: Datacenter Content

Originally posted by Infinethost
    I Don't know why webhosting compines have to lie about what they have for bandwidth Etc.

just say what you have, most customers like small companies anyway.

we only have 2 Full T3 connections but for our customers that is all we need 90mbit of transfer is a lot. everyone gets caught up in OC3 this and OC12 that.
    if a host has a few OCXX and claim to have their own datacenter I can Promise you that you have heard of them. point in case pair networks not a ton of bandwidth but a TON of customers. Ever hear anyone Complain about Pair I haven't

let's face it a new startup can't afford huge bandwidth and if they do they are going to be bleeding cash
    Be honest if you are a Reseller Tell people CO Brand with your host.

--------
    Sam
    Infinet Hosting
    Hey Sam,
    Webreseller owns their own datacenter and they aren't a reseller so where are you getting your information from or was your post an in general type of statement?

-Steven
    https://www.ihnetworks.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Tata in One Wilshire, Los Angeles! Enterprise Datacenters around the world, including Amsterdam, Singapore, London, and the United States.
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Re: Re: Datacenter Content

Originally posted by insiderhosting

Hey Sam,
    Webreseller owns their own datacenter and they aren't a reseller so where are you getting your information from or was your post an in general type of statement?

-Steven
    believe it was just a general statement.

nope Just a Statment in General

______
    Sam

Infinet Hosting

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast